2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
This is true. I think it would be a grave mistake for anyone to stay home regardless of who they will vote for.

I think staying home is the dumbest thing an American can do, but to each his or her own, I guess.

There are no constituents to solve the housing crisis in California. A crisis that affects all of us by pricing out new workers from migrating to one of the most productive labor forces in the country.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/...-htmlstory.html

Thought: Maybe California environmental groups onerous regulation on urban housing has contributed to sprawl that has much more negative external effects on the environment in california?

You could pass this if it was just he construction unions, but the environmental groups and tenant associations hopping on because they view obstruction as a badge of honor to take back to their obstructionfetished membership group makes it impsossible to fix this problem.

Chicago has been traditionally much better about growing where needed, but not perfect. ANd of course, we have the friends of the parks to sue anyone that tries to use any structure on park land, no matter how useless, for development.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
I just wish the Hillary fans and this board is full of them would admit Hillary has been given this election thanks to the FBI director and media. That's all I wish.

It also would help if you admitted she is a horrible choice for President, albeit a better choice than Trump.

Greg - Why not ask the question the other way. Do these hillary fans really think she has the makeup to be the president (not compared to trump, just in general). I'm willing to admit Trump doesn't, but I also think it is sickening that Hillary is the best that the dems could put out (as she has real issues which, while we could debate whether they are criminal or not, they are certainly indicative of extremely extremely poor judgement). That said, while Bernie was a likeable character, I don't know that he was the better candidate. Was this more of the DNC / party as a whole just viewed it as her time or were their not other candidates who should have came out to compete against her?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 01:21 PM)
Greg - Why not ask the question the other way. Do these hillary fans really think she has the makeup to be the president (not compared to trump, just in general). I'm willing to admit Trump doesn't, but I also think it is sickening that Hillary is the best that the dems could put out (as she has real issues which, while we could debate whether they are criminal or not, they are certainly indicative of extremely extremely poor judgement). That said, while Bernie was a likeable character, I don't know that he was the better candidate. Was this more of the DNC / party as a whole just viewed it as her time or were their not other candidates who should have came out to compete against her?

Democratic governors were destroyed in 2010 and 2014. That leaves the slightly more successful senator bloc, who worked with Hillary and makes it unsurprising they may defer to her.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 04:20 AM)
Hillary is no better or worse than 99% of politicians when it comes to misdeeds. They're all guilty of bending the rules - Republicans and Democrats alike, including, I'm sure, Donald Trump.

Greg sounds like a Notre Dame fan who accuses other schools of cheating and being incredulous to the idea that his team could possibly be doing the same. My dad is like that. I always point out that Notre Dame cheats, and then he says, "Well, I don't know..." before trailing off. PS - I'm a Notre Dame fan, too. But, I can recognize that it would be a little odd to think that a guy like Lou Holtz was busted for cheating at every school he coached but Notre Dame. The sainted Lou Holtz is a Trump supporter, incidentally.

So, Greg, in this election, there are two viable candidates, and the question is if Trump is really a person you want to be President based on his qualifications. Yet, you seem to be more interested in trashing the other candidate personally rather than making a fact based argument that points out her deficiencies politically.

You even say that Hillary is a horrible choice, "albeit a better choice than Trump." Then, what are you arguing about? Just vote for Trump - the worse choice in your estimation, or go with the candidate that you feel is more qualified but don't like.

It's funny that, among other things, you talk about all the free publicity Hillary has received. Nobody, probably ever, has received as much free publicity as Trump did during the Republican election campaign. It was borderline illegal for him to be calling into radio and tv shows daily because candidates are supposed to be afforded equal time. Not sure how he got away with that.

Not a bad post. I can accept all your points.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
I think staying home is the dumbest thing an American can do, but to each his or her own, I guess.

But what about somebody like me? I despise both Hillary and Trump, so if I vote it has to be a write in. Is it worth me going to the polls just to vote for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Jesse Ventura?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 06:21 PM)

Excellent post. I can buy everything you are stating here. Thing is I do think the Hillary fans on this board think she truly is great. I believe in their minds she is a helluva candidate for President. But I would love for some Hillary-ites to admit there were better Democratic candidates out there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 07:09 PM)
But what about somebody like me? I despise both Hillary and Trump, so if I vote it has to be a write in. Is it worth me going to the polls just to vote for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Jesse Ventura?

Greg, it's never worth you going to the polls.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
Not a bad post. I can accept all your points.

Excellent post. I can buy everything you are stating here. Thing is I do think the Hillary fans on this board think she truly is great. I believe in their minds she is a helluva candidate for President. But I would love for some Hillary-ites to admit there were better Democratic candidates out there.

Greg you realize like half the dems in this thread voted for Bernie right? You were posting on this board often when those same people were supporting Sanders. This is a good example of why you get so much pushback. You don't seem to respect other people in this thread enough to read what they write instead of just posting your Hannity blast of the day over and over.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
Greg you realize like half the dems in this thread voted for Bernie right? You were posting on this board often when those same people were supporting Sanders. This is a good example of why you get so much pushback. You don't seem to respect other people in this thread enough to read what they write instead of just posting your Hannity blast of the day over and over.

I think you and Reddy were the only Clinton all day every day supporters in the beginning.

Maybe Steve too.

Edited by pettie4sox

Here we see Donald Trump suggesting either an armed citizens' revolt or outright assassination if Hillary Clinton wins and appoints SCOTUS justices.

It's no big deal, just Trump being Trump. He jokes around a lot.

For real though, HOLY F***ING S***

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
I think you and Reddy were the only Clinton all day every day supporters in the beginning.

Maybe Steve too.

I voted for her in the IL primary but wasn't that vocal in the Buster.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)

Here we see Donald Trump suggesting either an armed citizens' revolt or outright assassination if Hillary Clinton wins and appoints SCOTUS justices.

It's no big deal, just Trump being Trump. He jokes around a lot.

For real though, HOLY F***ING S***

Trump's goose is cooked. I don't think he gives a s*** anymore, he probably ran to insure Hillary wins. The perfect Trojan horse.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
Trump's goose is cooked. I don't think he gives a s*** anymore, he probably ran to insure Hillary wins. The perfect Trojan horse.

I always believed this and deep down don't think he really wants the position. After securing the nomination he would have won if he cleaned up this rhetoric instead it has gotten worse.

I wish the media would do their job as a good amount of the American public is stupid.

Many people are saying.....not me, but many people. They might be right. I haven't fully investigated it yet, so I don't know,, but from what I'm hearing from many people........Things, I've heard things. Lot's of things. Not so good things...many bad things,I don't know, but it's what I'm hearing lately, from many people. They could be right. And then what? These things I've heard, from many people. Could be trouble...We're in trouble, folks.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Aug 9, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
Steve, did you steal that from Trump's remarks today?

https://twitter.com/KilloughCNN/status/763102058845184000

CpcVRlJXYAQdIFQ.jpg

Are we f***ing done with this national embarrassment yet? Can the GOP sack up and do something and euthanize this abomination of a campaign already? It's not only stupid but dangerous to let it continue.

While I would like it, what can they do at this point? Take back the nomination?

The only thing they can do is what they're doing - anyone with a future in the GOP is running away from him, loudly and publicly. He's going to go down in a sinking ship with very few people onboard.

That's not true. Only those true blue state senators like Kirk have not endorsed (and Rauner), but Paul Ryan won't actively not endorse him. Marco Rubio is still endorsing him. Mitch McConnell is endorsing him. Kelly Ayotte endorses him.

So you have Kirk and Collins.