2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 01:31 PM)
You've posted a few times about ground game advantage and I think Ohio is going to be where we learn a lot about that.

IIRC didn't Trump tend to slightly under perform his polling in the primaries while Cruz, who worked really hard to establish a ground game, tended to over perform? I know that was the story in Iowa for sure, but I think it held up elsewhere as well.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Former Michigan Governor kicked out of the Republican Party for endorsing Clinton over Trump

Grand Traverse County Republicans have voted to no longer recognize Gov. William Milliken as a Republican. Party delegates passed the resolution at a convention in Grand Traverse County on Thursday night.

Milliken, a longtime Traverse City resident who is the longest serving governor in Michigan history, announced that he was endorsing Democrat Hillary Clinton for president last week.

“It’s just the final straw,” says Jason Gillman, a county delegate and former Grand Traverse County Commissioner who wrote the resolution.

“What we are acknowledging is that it is unacceptable to promote Democrat candidates … from our podium,” Gillman says.

Milliken has endorsed other Democrats before, including John Kerry in 2004 and Gary Peters during the 2014 U.S. Senate election.

The resolution also criticizes Gov. Milliken for vetoing bills that would have ended state funding for abortion in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It states that those actions were “contrary to the core principles of Republicans.”

“It’s time that Republicans start behaving like Republicans,” Gillman says. “It’s nothing personal against Bill Milliken himself. He’s an honorable man. He’s served his country. He’s served his state.”

Jason Gillman’s father, Michael Gillman, spoke out against the resolution before the vote. He worked in the Milliken administration as an attorney for nearly 13 years.

“I think we’re at a critical time for the Republican Party and I think that it’s important that we do nothing to diminish or attempt to exclude anybody who is going to call themselves a Republican,” Michael Gillman says.

Efforts by IPR to reach Gov. Milliken have been unsuccessful.

Cpsk92LWEAAVK57.jpg

Sopan Deb @SopanDeb

Here is the nominee of a major party, Trump, encouraging supporters to patrol poll places for signs of voter fraud:

6:41 PM - 12 Aug 2016

Ana Marie Cox @anamariecox

Trump: “The only way they can beat us, in my opinion, and I mean this 100%, is if certain sections of the state, they cheat.”

5:55 PM - 12 Aug 2016

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 05:32 PM)
Business Insider looking at trumps new favorite thing, graphs on cue cards. Also speaks directly to the home ownership rate discussion.

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trum...wnership-rate-1

Straight out of the H. Ross Perot playbook...but 24 years too late.

Two similarly kooky guys, though.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
There was some Netflix documentary I watched that touched on it several years back, but I can't remember the name of it now. The people who own the farmland right on the border of the "no more buildings" line are uber-pissed because their property is only worth a tiny fraction of what it would be because no developers are interested in it. Environmentally, this is great as long as you can still meet your housing stock. I was in Portland recently and checked out home prices out of curiosity. Seemed comparable or maybe a little bit higher than Chicago but definitely cheaper than Seattle or pretty much anywhere in the non-terrible parts of California.

edit: it may have been this

http://www.lincolninst.edu/subcenters/maki...place/portland/

In googling for that, I also came across this somewhat recent article on Portland's city planning and trying to strike that balance.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/realesta...ver-sprawl.html

Seems that would be the perfect opportunity for a suburban MLB facility in Portland.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
Watched some of the morning shows today. There was a lot of talk about unfair coverage of Trump compared to Hillary. Said the media is heavily Democratic and deems it its duty to keep Trump out.

Was this on Fox News by any chance?

Not sure how it is unfavorable coverage when they show unedited footage of Trump saying dumb stuff. He's also gotten. Pre free tv than anyone else during primaries. Conspiracy theory's coming out in case he loses but those won't matter if it's a slaughter .

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
Not to mention many slamming Trump today are Republicans.

Lyin Donald's campaign is a total disaster.

I think one of Trump's greatest transgressions was calling Michael Bloomberg "Little." I can't respect that. "Little" is Marco Rubio.

It's like when a rapper rhymes a word with the same word. Just lazy. :P

How We Killed the Tea Party

Greedy super PACs drained the movement with endless pleas for money to support “conservative” candidates—while instead using the money to enrich themselves. I should know. I worked for one of them.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/201...4#ixzz4HME4raVj

Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

Reminded me of Rick perlsteins the long con from 2012.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Aug 14, 2016 -> 05:26 PM)
I think one of Trump's greatest transgressions was calling Michael Bloomberg "Little." I can't respect that. "Little" is Marco Rubio.

It's like when a rapper rhymes a word with the same word. Just lazy. :P

He doesn't think he should be held to what he holds everyone else. In 2012 he ripped Romney for not releasing his taxes saying not releasing them shows something is wrong. Trump won't release his taxes, so something must be terribly wrong, but if someone said that, they are liars and unfair. He is not unlike a very spoiled 8 year old brat and bully. If he loses the election was rigged. Maybe he's right. He's the one rigging it.

I just think what he is doing now is beyond dangerous. The stuff with the "2nd amendment people", there are some sick people just looking for a reason. Saying an election where he is going to get trounced is rigged, just more ammo for extreme US citizen nut jobs. Just look at the video of the old man leaving one of his rallies. Calling the media there traitors, flipping them off, calling himself a patriot.

It's a pattern with Trump. It appears to me he has built his entire life upon untruthful boasts etc. now is using the same tactic to become POTUS.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 15, 2016 -> 09:06 AM)
He doesn't think he should be held to what he holds everyone else. In 2012 he ripped Romney for not releasing his taxes saying not releasing them shows something is wrong. Trump won't release his taxes, so something must be terribly wrong, but if someone said that, they are liars and unfair. He is not unlike a very spoiled 8 year old brat and bully. If he loses the election was rigged. Maybe he's right. He's the one rigging it.

Or maybe it was a vast left wing conspiracy?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
Or maybe it was a vast left wing conspiracy?

In which he was involved. It does appear he perhaps doesn't want to be president, and he want Hillary to win, she wasn't always Crooked Hillary to him. But he does have an unmatched ego, there would have to be a point where he just wouldn't continue to be willing to be the buffoon.

He right now is appealing to people who could never buy a unit in one of his properties, couldn't afford a night in one of his hotels. Wouldn't buy any of his cologne, have no need to buy one of his ties. Wouldn't golf at one of his clubs. He probably has been so obnoxious, that he has lost potential business in those areas.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 15, 2016 -> 07:23 AM)

So the trump campaign Russian ties are 100% confirmed at this point, then.

I wonder what sort of legal trouble manafort might be in over these payments.

The nyt is also promising more this week, and that it's even worse.

https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/764992807236808704

Edited by StrangeSox

I don't know, unless they can tie work performed while he was on campaign or contributions to campaign itself I think it will be a distraction more than a scandal.

However, shows why typically you don't hire campaign managers that just came off of lobbying for dictators.