2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know about which candidate in four years, but as far as the party goes from here on.

They need less Clintons, Chuck Schumer, Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

More Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, Keith Ellison and Jeff Merkley.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
I don't know about which candidate in four years, but as far as the party goes from here on.

They need less Clintons, Chuck Schumer, Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

More Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, Keith Ellison and Jeff Merkley.

Agree with this 100%. The response is to become more Progressive, not less and hope that enthusiasm flips one of the chambers of Congress in 2 years.

According to my Facebook feed, the people who were against Obama and everything he wanted to do are now saying we need to be brought together and unite.

I feel like Howard Stern at the end of Private Parts when Pig Vomit shows up to admit Howard won and is behind him.

F You. /slam door in their face

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 09:58 AM)
According to my Facebook feed, the people who were against Obama and everything he wanted to do are now saying we need to be brought together and unite.

I feel like Howard Stern at the end of Private Parts when Pig Vomit shows up to admit Howard won and is behind him.

F You. /slam door in their face

lol unite on what exactly?

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 06:52 AM)
Hate to be that guy, but what do the Dems throw out in 4 years? Booker? Cuban? Biden will be too old.

I'll see myself out.

Warren, Michelle Obama. I don't think Biden will be too old. McCain ran when he was 80 and he'll be serving until he's 92.

Edit: McCain ain't that old, he ran at 72. For some reason I thought he's 86.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
Warren, Michelle Obama. I don't think Biden will be too old. McCain ran when he was 80 and he'll be serving until he's 92.

I can't see Michelle wanting the office. She just doesn't seem like she wants to expose herself to that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:12 AM)
I can't see Michelle wanting the office. She just doesn't seem like she wants to expose herself to that.

However you want to look at it, Trump winning just gave Democrats a really easy way back into the White House in 2020 where they can elect a candidate much better than Hillary.

Michelle's very well liked and well spoken, so she has that going for her. But going off the sentiment of anti-establishment rhetoric, Warren has a really good shot in 4 years. She's basically the younger female Bernie Sanders.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
However you want to look at it, Trump winning just gave Democrats a really easy way back into the White House in 2020 where they can elect a candidate much better than Hillary.

Michelle's very well liked and well spoken, so she has that going for her. But going off the sentiment of anti-establishment rhetoric, Warren has a really good shot in 4 years. She's basically the younger female Bernie Sanders.

Every Democrat needs to stop with the "easy" stuff. I will always believe part of the reason Trump did so well is because he was the "underdog" which gave this false illusion that he somehow is fighting for the little guy.

Right now the best thing any liberal can do, is wait and see. A big part of the reason this country cant do s*** anymore is because everyone prejudges. Obama is the worst Ill never agree with anything he does. Trump is the worst. Bush is the worst. Clinton is the worst.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
Every Democrat needs to stop with the "easy" stuff. I will always believe part of the reason Trump did so well is because he was the "underdog" which gave this false illusion that he somehow is fighting for the little guy.

Right now the best thing any liberal can do, is wait and see. A big part of the reason this country cant do s*** anymore is because everyone prejudges. Obama is the worst Ill never agree with anything he does. Trump is the worst. Bush is the worst. Clinton is the worst.

Hillary sure as hell wasn't going to get re-elected in 4 years against any half-way decent opponent. That's what I meant by easy. The silver lining for Democrats in all of this is that they get to run a real candidate in 4 years. Not just someone who thought it was their turn.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)

Sanders resonated with voters in the Rust Belt. Warren should resonate with those same voters. Anti-Wall Street sentiment is high and both can sell a record on fighting for the middle class.

Sanders will age out in 2020 and I tend to think Warren is in the perfect spot for her wheelhouse - as the Democrat's financial attack dog in the Senate. But IF Trump is not able to resurrect those rural Rust Belt areas, and isn't able to Make America Great Again, the Democrats need someone to show up with those types of credentials.

What the Democrats need to do is pivot on their message - away from the middle of the road Democrats, and toward the Progressive wing of the party. If Trump's policies align with those goals, great (and it's conceivable that he could on some of his economic messages - the Republican Party literally abandoned free trade in this election cycle)! If Trump's policies reflect his rhetoric in the campaign, fight him tooth and nail and try to win back a divided government in 2018.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
Hillary sure as hell wasn't going to get re-elected in 4 years against any half-way decent opponent. That's what I meant by easy. The silver lining for Democrats in all of this is that they get to run a real candidate in 4 years. Not just someone who thought it was their turn.

There is no silver lining besides for hoping Trump is "who we thought he was" and changes his position now that he actually won. Due to the Supreme Court, this election likely had much more significance than the one in 4 years.

Im sure there will be a ton of second guessing, like what if Biden ran.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)

From my point of view no matter who won this election, we were looking at a one term President. The negatives are just so high for both, and either one would face a firestorm of opposition from the other side.

Last night was maybe the worst night of my life.

It has severely changed my outlook. I became a democrat in height of the technowonks. I knew something was amiss but kept rationalizing in macro data. The data wasn't bulls***, but it was bad government. It added help with no responsiveness. It was not efficient. It was easy to dispute.

Feel lost.

If you really want to feel depressed, read Shaun King's Twitter timeline today where he posts countless examples of blacks, Muslims, and Hispanics being harassed today, many of them winding up in tears.

This is Trump's America.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 06:36 PM)
Nah, everything is good. Things are fine. This isn't about which political "team" won. No big deal... :ph34r:

I sympathize with those that are upset, because I am too..that being said, the white guy saying this was the worst day of his life is not exactly the best look right now - it's certainly going to raise some eyebrows, be honest.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 08:52 PM)
I sympathize with those that are upset, because I am too..that being said, the white guy saying this was the worst day of his life is not exactly the best look right now - it's certainly going to raise some eyebrows, be honest.

You could consider that it's because I've had to see so many people I love and respect in pain, and look my students in eye asking if people will hurt them.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 06:56 PM)
You could consider that it's because I've had to see so many people I love and respect in pain, and look my students in eye asking if people will hurt them.

And I respect that and sympathize with you. I shouldn't have commented.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 09:03 PM)
And I respect that and sympathize with you. I shouldn't have commented.

I know it's a dramatic comment I made. And I know why you said what you did. Not trying to diminish others struggles:

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 08:32 PM)
If you really want to feel depressed, read Shaun King's Twitter timeline today where he posts countless examples of blacks, Muslims, and Hispanics being harassed today, many of them winding up in tears.

This is Trump's America.

You lost me at Shaun King