southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://gothamist.com/2016/12/16/trump_ivan...63fff8e-1605013

Tea with Ivanka for $78,000...with the money supposedly going to charity...no possible conflicts there!

I was hoping Greg would pick up the torch now that any possibility of Chelsea running is all but gone.

Otoh, there's an increasingly higher likelihood Ivanka sees herself as the heir apparent...with Melania seemingly content to remain out of sight with Barron.

There's probably 50%+ of America who would vote for just because she seems non-threatening yet is articulate, is attractive and has been artificially enhanced to make her the perfect pseudo-Barbie for modern times in the GOP.

Tomi Lahren, Conway, Coulter, Ingraham, Karina Pierson...all cut from the same cloth. Other than Rachel Maddow, who does the left counter with from a feminine perespective?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 11:26 PM)
But Chelsea Clinton would have been president in 2024.

If Hillary would have won, Chelsea would have been very visible during her 8 years. Do you deny that? When you are visible, you can run for president. Donald Trump won. Do you think he'd have won had he not had a popular TV show and been in the public eye a long time?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 09:55 PM)
If Hillary would have won, Chelsea would have been very visible during her 8 years. Do you deny that? When you are visible, you can run for president. Donald Trump won. Do you think he'd have won had he not had a popular TV show and been in the public eye a long time?

Maybe if Clinton was running on the Republican ticket. But she had 0 chance of being the Democratic nominee.

I cant think of a single thing that qualifies her. You actually have to have some substance/credentials to be the Democratic nominee. Well see if the Republican's self police, or if they turn their backs on America.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 09:55 PM)

By this argument, Kanye and The Rock will be battling it out with George Clooney and Tom Hanks in 2024.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/min...ebunked.html/2/

Minimum wage increases haven't led to massive job losses Republicans predicted

Edited by caulfield12

Under political pressure, Kuwait cancels major event at Four Seasons, switches to Trump’s D.C. hotel

A source tells ThinkProgress that the Kuwaiti embassy, which has regularly held the event at the Four Seasons in Georgetown, abruptly canceled its reservation after members of the Trump Organization pressured the ambassador to hold the event at the hotel owned by the president-elect. The source, who has direct knowledge of the arrangements between the hotels and the embassy, spoke to ThinkProgress on the condition of anonymity because the individual was not authorized to speak publicly. ThinkProgress was also able to review documentary evidence confirming the source's account.

In the early fall, the Kuwaiti Embassy signed a contract with the Four Seasons. But after the election, members of the Trump Organization contacted the Ambassador of Kuwait, Salem Al-Sabah, and encouraged him to move his event to Trump's D.C. hotel, the source said.

Kuwait has now signed a contract with the Trump International Hotel, the source said, adding that a representative with the embassy described the decision as political. Invitations to the event are typically sent out in January.

I mean it's not like there's a specific clause in the Constitution dealing with this or anything...

FCC Republicans vow to gut net neutrality rules “as soon as possible”

[W]e will seek to revisit [the disclosure] requirements, and the Title II Net Neutrality proceeding more broadly, as soon as possible," they wrote, referring to the order that imposed net neutrality rules and reclassified ISPs as common carriers under Title II of the Communications Act. Pai and O'Rielly noted that they "dissented from the Commission's February 2015 Net Neutrality decision, including the Order's imposition of unnecessary and unjustified burdens on providers."

Pai and O'Rielly will have a 2-1 Republican majority on the FCC after the departure of Democratic Chairman Tom Wheeler on January 20. Pai previously said that the Title II net neutrality order's "days are numbered" under Trump, while O'Rielly said he intends to "undo harmful policies" such as the Title II reclassification.

More broadly, the Title II net neutrality order prohibits ISPs from blocking or throttling traffic or giving priority to Web services in exchange for payment. The order also set up a complaint process to prevent "unjust" or "unreasonable" pricing and practices. The threat of complaints to the FCC helped put an end to several disputes between ISPs and other network operators over network interconnection payments; this in turn improved Internet service quality for many subscribers.

All of that is in jeopardy with the Pai/O'Rielly promise to undo the entire Title II net neutrality order. The process could take months, even if they get started right away, because of requirements to seek public comment. The Republican-controlled Congress could act more quickly, since Trump has opposed net neutrality rules and isn't likely to veto a bill overturning the Title II order. When either the FCC or Congress do act, the biggest question will be whether the net neutrality regime is replaced with a weaker set of rules or scrapped entirely.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
Op-ed piece by UNC Professor who helped develop index to judge how close to being a representative democracy countries were argues that North Carolina would by that standard no longer count as a democracy and is on about the same level of representative government as Cuba and Iran.

I was at least a little hopeful earlier this year that with a less conservative supreme Court, something might be done to find equal protection or other constitutional grounds to help rectify gerrymandering, but that seems extremely unlikely since the Republicans stole a supreme Court seat.

What that article didn't explicitly mention is that the same districting issues carry over to the federal level as well.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-un-ju...--election.html

This is rich...the UN is "just a club for people to have a good time" whereas the Trump Foundation, which has been almost exclusively supported not by himself and his family but mostly business associates of Trump jockeying for access/influence...is what exactly?

Buying a picture/painting of yourself with hard-earned charity dollars sounds exactly what Trump is accusing the United Nations of being, and completely dismissing many of their positive contributions (such as no World Wars since 1945).

Edited by caulfield12

Trump holds a Micro Press Conference, Comes Off As an Idiot

We've had a busy day of Trump news. I know you all want to be on top of things, so here's the latest. First, Trump was asked what he thought about Sen. Lindsey Graham's statement that sanctions were due against Russia and Vladimir Putin for their hacking during the election. Check out his reply:

I think that computers have complicated lives very greatly. The whole age of computer has made it where nobody knows exactly what is going on. We have speed, we have a lot of other things, but I’m not sure we have the kind the security we need. But I have not spoken with the senators and I will certainly will be over a period of time.

Later, asked about Israeli settlements on the West Bank, Trump produced another bit of word salad that made it clear he had no idea what a settlement even was. This is probably why Trump hasn't spoken to the press in such a long time. This kind of callow blather might have been entertaining when it was coming from a buffoon candidate who had no chance of winning,1 but not when it's coming from the president-elect.

In other news, Politico reports that Trump was irritated by President Obama’s comments at Pearl Harbor yesterday. Obama said, "even when hatred burns hottest, even when the tug of tribalism is at its most primal, we must resist the urge to turn inward. We must resist the urge to demonize those who are different." Those are fairly boilerplate remarks, but "these felt to Trump like direct criticism of the president-elect, according to two people close to Trump." Gee, I wonder why

http://m.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2016/1...nce-comes-idiot

Plus some lies about him bringing Sprint jobs to the US, but at least this time the press seems more skeptical than they were with his lies about Carrier

Edited by StrangeSox

I thought "settlements" were bribing Trump University scam victims while claiming I would have bigly won a theoretical court ruling?

Unpresidented stuff here, folks. Not fair!

By the way, Eric's a great kid and should be able to continue to entice charity donations by auctioning off more Ivanka Tea Times to those looking to curry favor with me. And, if you don't come up with the winning bid, we've still got some great deals going down over at Trump International Hotel DC.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mormon-tabernacl...-123210597.html

Reweet Donald J. Trump "Mormon Tabernacle Choir member should be jailed...unless she's a hottie."

Edited by caulfield12