2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 01:53 PM)
Well America is not safe relative to other western countries or our neighbor to the north, it is safe comparable to America in 1990 or America in 1970.

There is so much of an interest and political gain in fear mongering that most people don't believe this anymore.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
There is so much of an interest and political gain in fear mongering that most people don't believe this anymore.

RUSSIAN AL-QAEDA ISIS SLEEPER CELLS WILL KILL US ALL!

At least with Russia, the threat of near-complete global destruction was real and the world was actually on the brink of it a couple of times.

Some go to no end to protect Hillary.

Oh here's a good column. She gives horrible speeches, but that's OK cause it's what makes her a GREAT president. My gosh, anything she does is praised. Bad speech giver? That's OK, that's why she's so qualified to be president. Just coronate her for gosh sakes.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/28/12308198/hill...nton-speech-dnc

was bill sleeping?

http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/28/bill-cli...n-speech-video/

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
Some go to no end to protect Hillary.

Oh here's a good column. She gives horrible speeches, but that's OK cause it's what makes her a GREAT president. My gosh, anything she does is praised. Bad speech giver? That's OK, that's why she's so qualified to be president. Just coronate her for gosh sakes.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/28/12308198/hill...nton-speech-dnc

Being able to give good speeches DOESN'T qualify you to be president, people just think it is. This was a knock against Obama in 2008 when people said he didn't include much policy detail in his speeches. Clinton does, but she doesn't thrill audiences like Obama, or her husband. Never will. It's not her.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)

Well yeah depends what kind of violent crime we are talking about but I think to some degree this is due to the "flatness" of the world now.

All politics is local is B.S. now. All politics is whatever is the most terrible thing happening in any part of your country.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:07 PM)
Being able to give good speeches DOESN'T qualify you to be president, people just think it is. This was a knock against Obama in 2008 when people said he didn't include much policy detail in his speeches. Clinton does, but she doesn't thrill audiences like Obama, or her husband. Never will. It's not her.

Yes and those who give horrific speeches usually LOSE. That's my point. Humphrey, Mitt, etc. People can't deny there's this double standard involving Hillary in which everything she does is coronated. Even her bad speeches are celebrated. Some people like me think she should actually be up on criminal charges not giving boring speeches.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
Yes and those who give horrific speeches usually LOSE. That's my point. Humphrey, Mitt, etc. People can't deny there's this double standard involving Hillary in which everything she does is coronated. Even her bad speeches are celebrated. Some people like me think she should actually be up on criminal charges not giving boring speeches.

I didn't think her speech was "horrific." She set out to tell people what she plans to do as president and why, and also to discredit Trump, she did a pretty decent job of making her case. Of course, I'm just some guy, and I am not someone who likes to take his individual perceptions and project them on the entire electorate.

Her speech itself was fine, she's not a particularly great speaker but she's not terrible, just doesn't sound natural like her husband or Obama.

Speeches may be important for winning elections, but speeches are not very important at all when it comes to actually being able to govern.

Edited by StrangeSox

The last two Democratic presidents have been some of the most charismatic orators this country has ever had (i'll include Reagan in that category too). There is really nobody who ran on either side who's like that. Hillary isn't one of those and Trump CERTAINLY isn't with his 5th grade vocabulary.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
The last two Democratic presidents have been some of the most charismatic orators this country has ever had (i'll include Reagan in that category too). There is really nobody who ran on either side who's like that. Hillary isn't one of those and Trump CERTAINLY isn't with his 5th grade vocabulary.

Liar, Trump has assured me that he has the BEST words.

(bigly)

Edited by StrangeSox

OK, greg PROMISES he's done with her awful speech giving ability after this post. One time I got ROASTED ON here by a mod I believe for getting on Hillary for her voice. Somebody told me to knock it off. Check this author's bio. He is WELL RESPECTED and look what he wrote about Hillary!!! How annoying she is and how she yells at people! I love his line about how Bill was sleeping cause he's been yelled at by Hillary before. Read Mark Whittington's column ... please and react to me.

It's the same stuff I'm saying, but I'm the radical bad guy troll (to some). Please read it!! And I'm done talking about her speeches, but those of you who say I'm the only one commenting on Hillary's voice and looks, etc., are wrong. BTW Trump gets ripped for his hair all the time and not a peep from the Democrats in anger at that superficiality. But we're all sexist for saying Hillary is yelling at us with her shrill voice.

http://us.blastingnews.com/opinion/2016/07...-001041269.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix...illarys-speech/

Edited by greg775

I knew that Bloomberg's roasting of Trump would sting Trump the most. Bloomberg is a real billionaire, a legitimate businessman, and his wealth dwarfs Trump's, Trump really can't handle shots at his ego like that.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/29/12324696/dona...l-bloomberg-dnc

Then Trump went on a tweetstorm after Hillary said he could be baited by a tweet, which created a singularity.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)
I am late to this argument but I feel like basically everyone on the right completely and maybe deliberately missed the point of Michelle Obama bringing up slavery. That wasn't a pessimistic statement at all, it was the polar opposite. She said "this house was built by slaves and now I, a descendant of African slaves, live in this house with my two black daughters, look at how far America has come in two centuries." That's a statement that has real, tangible emotional impact on black viewers, and it was bewildering to see people questioning or criticizing it afterwards (this should be common knowledge!).

I got the same thing out of it (and I am on the right).

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)
Romney's campaign wasn't that bad. I'd say he was solid-starter level. It's just that Obama is better at campaigning than just about anybody in politics right now.

Romeny's problem was he relied on bad information and pulled up before the thing was over. I legitimately think he could have won the election four years ago (than again, I like Mitt).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
Mitt Romney ran a Tea Party campaign when it turned out he probably could have ran as the centre-right governor he was and done a lot better. But he still probably would have lost.

Yeah...I don't think Mitt ran a teaparty campaign.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
Romeny's problem was he relied on bad information and pulled up before the thing was over. I legitimately think he could have won the election four years ago (than again, I like Mitt).

They thought they were going to win based on some bad internal polling/unskewing, but they never stopped campaigning hard right to the end. He never really had a chance.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
I am late to this argument but I feel like basically everyone on the right completely and maybe deliberately missed the point of Michelle Obama bringing up slavery. That wasn't a pessimistic statement at all, it was the polar opposite. She said "this house was built by slaves and now I, a descendant of African slaves, live in this house with my two black daughters, look at how far America has come in two centuries." That's a statement that has real, tangible emotional impact on black viewers, and it was bewildering to see people questioning or criticizing it afterwards (this should be common knowledge!).

Stuff like this is why we never get anywhere on some of the more controversial stuff in the country these days. No one wants to have an honest and intellectual conversation about race. The topic of slavery comes up, and people lose their minds.

I don't know why it is such a bad thing to say something like we have come a long way, but we still have work to do, without it either being racist, apologist, or argumentative.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 12:43 PM)
They thought they were going to win based on some bad internal polling/unskewing, but they never stopped campaigning hard right to the end. He never really had a chance.

I disagree, I think they took their foot off the gas at the time they needed to step on it. But only in another dimension and who really knows, anyway.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
I got the same thing out of it (and I am on the right).

Yeah, I guess I didn't mean "everyone" on the right lol. I mean the people in the media who were complaining about it.

"You know what I wanted to. I wanted to hit a couple of those speakers so hard," Trump said. "I would have hit them. No, no. I was going to hit them, I was all set and then I got a call from a highly respected governor."

The Republican nominee didn't name the speakers that displeased him so, but he did target one "very little guy."

"I was gonna hit one guy in particular, a very little guy," he told ABC News. "I was gonna hit this guy so hard his head would spin and he wouldn't know what the hell happened."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trum...it-dnc-speakers