2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)
Yeah...I don't think Mitt ran a teaparty campaign.

The amateur political strategist in me says Romney campaigned hard right to fight off his challengers in the Republican primary, but while he was doing that, Obama's allies successfully made a caricature of him as Gordon Gekko-style cartoon villain that carried into the general election. Romney tried to pivot in the general election but pretty much stuck with him until the first debate where Obama was off his game and blew it, voters saw Romney presenting himself as a moderate conservative, but Obama rebounded after that and never looked back.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
Stuff like this is why we never get anywhere on some of the more controversial stuff in the country these days. No one wants to have an honest and intellectual conversation about race. The topic of slavery comes up, and people lose their minds.

I don't know why it is such a bad thing to say something like we have come a long way, but we still have work to do, without it either being racist, apologist, or argumentative.

Slavery is one of those topics like the Holocaust where we have to be able to objectively talk about it because it's such a HUGE part of history that directly affects the present. Then again I'm kind of a history nerd and so are you.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
Slavery is one of those topics like the Holocaust where we have to be able to objectively talk about it because it's such a HUGE part of history that directly affects the present. Then again I'm kind of a history nerd and so are you.

Totally correct. But again, the Holocaust has become such a politically charged whorefest that there is no talking about it.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
The amateur political strategist in me says Romney campaigned hard right to fight off his challengers in the Republican primary, but while he was doing that, Obama's allies successfully made a caricature of him as Gordon Gekko-style cartoon villain that carried into the general election. Romney tried to pivot in the general election but pretty much stuck with him until the first debate where Obama was off his game and blew it, voters saw Romney presenting himself as a moderate conservative, but Obama rebounded after that and never looked back.

image.jpg

CNN "instant polls" are meaningless garbage, but here's the results from Hillary's speech last night:

CNN Instant Poll Clinton Speech:

60% More Likely To Vote For

6% Less Likely To Vote For

33% Not Much Effect

Trump was 56% more likely, 34% less likely, 10% no change (+22)

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/7...src=twsrc%5Etfw

Move country in the right direction:

Clinton 82%

Trump 73%

Very positive reaction

Clinton 71%

Trump 57%

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
Yeah...I don't think Mitt ran a teaparty campaign.

Tea party was poor phrasing, I more accurately meant to say that he ran during the tea party time and misread that group as especially hard line conservative bordering on libertarian, but were really just angry voters.

I think lost does a good job with his analysis, but its worth remembering that Mitt's entire campaign he basically refuted everything he did as a governor of massachusetts and even as a businessman. He was basically just running on policy, a policy that was favoring the hard right congress wave of 2010.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 04:05 PM)
Tea party was poor phrasing, I more accurately meant to say that he ran during the tea party time and misread that group as especially hard line conservative bordering on libertarian, but were really just angry voters.

I think lost does a good job with his analysis, but its worth remembering that Mitt's entire campaign he basically refuted everything he did as a governor of massachusetts and even as a businessman. He was basically just running on policy, a policy that was favoring the hard right congress wave of 2010.

I think that's accurate and then he couldn't actually run on his record, it was weird.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
I think that's accurate and then he couldn't actually run on his record, it was weird.

He was in a difficult spot because a major part of his record was basically a beta version of Obamacare, but running hard against Obamacare was going to be what the 2012 election was about no matter who the nominee was. Couple that with an economy that was limping along but moderately improving, no major foreign policy disasters, no real scandals for the incumbent, and an increasingly difficult EC map and it was always going to be a really tough election for Romney to win.

Trump bragging about how he was going to make the RNC the bestest, yugest convention ever, so go you wouldn't even believe, your head would spin thanks to his master showmanship and now quickly distancing himself from having anything to do with the planning at all really now that the DNC has beat it in the ratings every night amuses me.

John HarwoodVerified account

‏@JohnJHarwood

Trump to NYT after Democratic convention w/higher ratings, production values: "I didn’t produce our show. I just showed up for final speech"

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
NC's Voter ID law was struck down by a federal court today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/30/us/feder...-provision.html

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CojB8jxWIAAlJtB.jpg

Taniel ‏@Taniel 4h4 hours ago

This is "smoking gun" Court points to: State justified cutting Sunday voting bc more black counties were offering it

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Coi_-08WIAQXTn7.jpg

Taniel

‏@Taniel

! Court: "Smoking gun" shows NC officials motivated by "concern" that Af Ams "had too much access to the franchise"

Edited by StrangeSox

Just watched CNN tape of Chelsea interview. Asked if she would enter politics she said, "I understand why people would ask that question. My name is Clinton. I'm Trying to figure out if I can make a difference for people. Right now I'm happy doing what I am doing." .... Hmmmmm.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
Just watched CNN tape of Chelsea interview. Asked if she would enter politics she said, "I understand why people would ask that question. My name is Clinton. I'm Trying to figure out if I can make a difference for people. Right now I'm happy doing what I am doing." .... Hmmmmm.

HMMMMMMMM?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 04:03 PM)
SS can you decrease size of that image pwetty pwease

I don't know how to do that so no, it's straight from twitter.

edit I'm now getting "internal server error" messages when I try to post, sorry if I broke SoxTalk.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 09:03 PM)
HMMMMMMMM?

I was told to "stop it" in regard to talking about Chelsea. Seems there is now hard evidence what I said could come to fruition. She has admitted to thinking about running.

Well to reduce it it would require you or I to host it elsewhere as a smaller image and that would take too long so I'm just going to reduce the amount of posts i see per page and move on.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 05:06 PM)
I was told to "stop it" in regard to talking about Chelsea. Seems there is now hard evidence what I said could come to fruition. She has admitted to thinking about running.

"Hard evidence"

Greg, c'mon son.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
Is anyone watching the Trump presser right now? I've seen a handful, this one is taking the cake so far on insanity.

I haven't seen his presser, but his multi-target twitter meltdown today was quite impressive.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 06:59 PM)
A lot of Americans are big fans of a messianic billionaire who inherited his wealth from his father, cultivates a facade as a playboy, has unresolvable psychological problems, and is obsessed with law and order and torture as a means to resolve the dystopian society around him.

Batman is really cool.

Hmmm, another critic saying Hillary whiffed on her message. She's only running on being a woman and "Trump is dangerous."

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/29/hillary-cli...commentary.html

I am not going to throw the sexism card a lot because I don't want to preface it with "i'm not talking about you but these..."

But if you listened to that speech and only pulled out that she's running as a woman, you are a sexist.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 10:28 PM)
I am not going to throw the sexism card a lot because I don't want to preface it with "i'm not talking about you but these..."

But if you listened to that speech and only pulled out that she's running as a woman, you are a sexist.

Yeah but did you read that column I posted from cnbc? Specific blasting of her speech regarding her running only on Trump bad; Hillary good and the historic aspect of this. I watched it. I think she was yelling at me again like that one writer wrote.

That speech was not that good but it was not good because it had 4 different directions, was too long, and was too long because she had a bunch fo policies she favored. Not all of them had anything to do with trump.