2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 12:02 AM)
I thought using the Muslim family with the slain soldier for political gain was pretty low. Trump responded like an idiot but the fact that the media accepted that as a headline story was just low. Just felt dirty in general and I don't think that does honor to the dead. I know everybody from both parties loves to "bring out the victims to show the human side"...just don't like it ever. Just my take

I mean, the mother wrote an Op-ed for the Washington Post, which has basically been at war with Trump.

They don't want this to fall to the side.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)
I thought using the Muslim family with the slain soldier for political gain was pretty low. Trump responded like an idiot but the fact that the media accepted that as a headline story was just low. Just felt dirty in general and I don't think that does honor to the dead. I know everybody from both parties loves to "bring out the victims to show the human side"...just don't like it ever. Just my take

The family was personally offended and insulted by Trump's disgusting anti-Muslim bigotry. They have every right to call him out on his bulls*** fearmongering, and they aren't responsible for Trump's ensuing meltdown.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
Donald Trump, on how he'd react if someone treated Ivanka like Ailes allegedly treated dozens of women:

CozWlEpUAAAJmnj.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016...olumn/87915454/

Ok there's no way he isn't trying to lose deliberately at this point, right?

Eric Trump responds by blaming sexual harassment victims:

CBS This Morning @CBSThisMorning

On Trump's Ailes sexual harassment comments, @EricTrump: Ivanka is a strong, powerful woman, she wouldn’t allow herself to be [subjected] to it

6:43 AM - 2 Aug 2016

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 11:02 PM)

The thing is, having a gold star family at a political convention is pretty commonplace. Part of a convention should be showing respect for the country.

But the difference this election is the republican candidate has disparaged a religion and proposed banning muslims from coming to US. Well, US citizens and US soldiers are muslim.

Part 2 is Trumps inability to handle criticism, so he must not only respond, but disparage and accuse the family of being sympathetic to terrorists. This family, whose son sacrificed his life for the country in Afghanistan.

This is only a political gain because Trump made it a political hit to himself.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 06:04 PM)
Also your follow-up on how she is not anti-vaxx doesn't really seem to be holding up. But also her fleshed out response there about how we shouldn't trust government agencies like the CDC and others because they are just Big Business shills is so maddening. Oh, and your platform is to increase reach of gov't that we can't trust because it is controlled by elites? Makes sense. Good platform.

I guess the CDC is doing too good of a job keeping everyone from getting Ebola?

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 09:04 AM)
The thing is, having a gold star family at a political convention is pretty commonplace. Part of a convention should be showing respect for the country.

But the difference this election is the republican candidate has disparaged a religion and proposed banning muslims from coming to US. Well, US citizens and US soldiers are muslim.

Part 2 is Trumps inability to handle criticism, so he must not only respond, but disparage and accuse the family of being sympathetic to terrorists. This family, whose son sacrificed his life for the country in Afghanistan.

This is only a political gain because Trump made it a political hit to himself.

I can't believe he doesn't have an advisor (or someone like Ivanka or one of his sons) screaming at him hourly that people are purposefully baiting him and to just shut up. Yet he keeps getting hooked. The guy was in the best spot of his campaign right after the RNC and he's ruined any small shot that he had. It's just amazing to watch the train wreck.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
I guess the CDC is doing too good of a job keeping everyone from getting Ebola?

It's just because the corporations didn't want us to get ebola man.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)
GOP Rep. Richard Hanna: I'll vote for Clinton; first House member to cross party line

Wonder if people like Mark Kirk, struggling to keep their seats in pretty solidly blue states, will follow a similar path.

Kirk hasn't gone as far as to endorse Hillary, but he has been pretty emphatic about distancing himself from Trump.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
I can't believe he doesn't have an advisor (or someone like Ivanka or one of his sons) screaming at him hourly that people are purposefully baiting him and to just shut up. Yet he keeps getting hooked. The guy was in the best spot of his campaign right after the RNC and he's ruined any small shot that he had. It's just amazing to watch the train wreck.

I'm sure there's a few that try, but he's surrounded himself with sycophants his entire life and his campaign mostly seems to be second/third tier political operatives. You can easily tell when a tweet or a press release isn't crafted by Trump himself, and it's obvious he still retains near-total control of the campaign messaging. If he really is an honest-to-god narcissist, he literally can't help but respond to any perceived slight no matter how small, and he can't stand when the spotlight isn't on him. His response to Clinton saying "it's easy to bait Trump on twitter" was to have an instant meltdown on twitter.

eta: Ivanka is probably really the only one he listens to, but even then no one can completely control him. Have you ever made a hot-headed post here or elsewhere that, even as you hit submit and knew it was probably over the line, it still felt good? That appears to be Trump 24/7.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 09:16 AM)
Kirk hasn't gone as far as to endorse Hillary, but he has been pretty emphatic about distancing himself from Trump.

He has, but not endorsing the candidate from your party and openly endorsing the candidate from the other party are two very, very different things. FWIW Hanna is retiring after this term and doesn't have to care about reelection chances.

In Trump news:

RP4LUdW.jpg

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)

He probably does, but they probably know him as well as anyone and know it's futile.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
He has, but not endorsing the candidate from your party and openly endorsing the candidate from the other party are two very, very different things. FWIW Hanna is retiring after this term and doesn't have to care about reelection chances.

In Trump news:

RP4LUdW.jpg

That's the second time in recent memory CNN has done that, calling a very blatant lie what it is

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
I'm sure there's a few that try, but he's surrounded himself with sycophants his entire life and his campaign mostly seems to be second/third tier political operatives. You can easily tell when a tweet or a press release isn't crafted by Trump himself, and it's obvious he still retains near-total control of the campaign messaging. If he really is an honest-to-god narcissist, he literally can't help but respond to any perceived slight no matter how small, and he can't stand when the spotlight isn't on him. His response to Clinton saying "it's easy to bait Trump on twitter" was to have an instant meltdown on twitter.

eta: Ivanka is probably really the only one he listens to, but even then no one can completely control him. Have you ever made a hot-headed post here or elsewhere that, even as you hit submit and knew it was probably over the line, it still felt good? That appears to be Trump 24/7.

No I get that, that's obviously a huuuuge problem of his, but he's also (despite the things he says) a somewhat intelligent human being. You would think someone can connect the dots for him: you keep saying and doing these things, you're losing any shot you have at the Presidency.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
No I get that, that's obviously a huuuuge problem of his, but he's also (despite the things he says) a somewhat intelligent human being. You would think someone can connect the dots for him: you keep saying and doing these things, you're losing any shot you have at the Presidency.

If you can, try to find video of him doing interviews in the 90s. There's a major difference in how he speaks, responds, answers questions coherently. Everything down to his vocabulary and sentence structure. He was a pathological narcissist back then too, but it's like a completely different person. Either he's doing an act, or he is showing signs of early onset dementia.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)

1) it's yuuuuuuuuuuuuge, with a y

2) I'm really doubting that he's somewhat intelligent. His vocabulary is about equivalent to junior high, he appears to be functionally illiterate in the way he writes, his speeches are rambling incoherent nonsense where one sentence has nothing to do with the one that came before it or the one that's coming next, and he's proud that he doesn't ever read anything (except the top 50 articles on Google News about himself that his staff prints out for him every morning, yes this is a real thing). edit: or what lost said, dementia or something maybe

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
1) it's yuuuuuuuuuuuuge, with a y

2) I'm really doubting that he's somewhat intelligent. His vocabulary is about equivalent to junior high, he appears to be functionally illiterate in the way he writes, his speeches are rambling incoherent nonsense where one sentence has nothing to do with the one that came before it or the one that's coming next, and he's proud that he doesn't ever read anything (except the top 50 articles on Google News about himself that his staff prints out for him every morning, yes this is a real thing). edit: or what lost said, dementia or something maybe

I've read enough about his pga/golf work to know the dude is somewhat with it. He's not a genius, but he's not a dumb person either.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 2, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
Eh, Utah/Georgia are unneccessary distractions. He'll win it by 10+ probably.

I do wish for sanity of country the Utah Republicans can become a power base.

Mormons really, really seem to hate Trump.

Edited by StrangeSox

Timed perfectly with the NYT piece on his draft deferments today.

edit: Trump's strategy of "s*** on the military as hard and as long as possible" seems like an...interesting ploy.

edit2: on the other hand, a good illustration of Trump's "say so many dumb things nobody can even keep up with the latest dumb thing" strategy

Y2wozTK.gif

(there is a Simpsons S2-8ish quote or image for probably every situation in life)

edit3: good lord

Ben Jacobs @Bencjacobs

Trump: I hear that baby crying. I like it! What a beautiful baby.

11:00 AM - 2 Aug 2016

Ben Jacobs @Bencjacobs

Trump: I was just kidding. Get the baby out of here. I think she actually believed me that I loved having the baby crying.

11:02 AM - 2 Aug 2016

"f*** babies" is an even bolder strategy!

edit4: more stolen valor from Trump (old article but suddenly relevant again!)

Trump: 'I always felt that I was in the military'

Donald Trump did not serve in the military, but according to a report, the Republican presidential candidate and multibillionaire business tycoon said in a forthcoming book that he still "always felt that I was in the military" because he attended a military boarding school and "dealt with those people."

According to an upcoming biography and interview excerpts shared with The New York Times, Trump said that his five years at the New York Military Academy provided him with "more training militarily than a lot of the guys that go into the military."

edit5: following up on his allegations that the election "may be rigged," he's now saying "something's going on" with the polls and they aren't to be trusted. Cultivating that conspiracy mindset might not go so well when he gets smashed in November.

9TMjJRG.png

He seems really obsessed with what he can see right in front of his face and the size of the rallies.

Edited by StrangeSox