2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

I got a coworker who is always trying to have conversations and it's pretty annoying. Whenever Trump doing or saying stupid s*** comes up he starts off saying "I don't support Trump, but..." or "I'm not saying Trump's not an idiot, but..." then does one of the following

-defends the substance of the thing Trump said people are taking issue with

-provides in-depth analysis of broader issue that Trump never even pretended to speak on or indicated he knew anything about

-makes up convenient excuse for Trump that isn't actually real

-when he can't think of one of the first 3 fast enough, provides false equivalence or claims this is nothing that ordinary politicians don't do

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)
Holy moly this last week of polling for Clinton. After this morning's Fox News Clinton +10 poll, she's sporting a +5.9 average on RCP.

The NYT has a really cool poll-tracking site, The Upshot. You get their model plus a regularly updated chart of what the other aggregators are predicting nationally and state-by-state, and if you scroll to the bottom, there's a neat "what-if" widget where you can see the paths to victory for each candidate by assuming one or the other wins a given swing state.

Trump had a very small bounce for a few days coming out of the RNC, but this is the only time after a convention where the nominee has a net negative decline in favorability. Clinton didn't repair all of her image issues - she never will - but the DNC helped her despite all the chaos and shouting.

It's interesting. This will certainly regress, but usually after a convention where all time is consumed by one party, the next week the other candidate is like "OKAY BUT ME AGAIN" and people are like "Oh right, him/her, I like him/her"

But with Trump it was like "Oh right, him..."

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)
Trump had a very small bounce for a few days coming out of the RNC, but this is the only time after a convention where the nominee has a net negative decline in favorability. Clinton didn't repair all of her image issues - she never will - but the DNC helped her despite all the chaos and shouting.

I think a lot of Republicans were waiting for Trump to finally pivot to the General Election, or to at least professionalize his campaign. Now that he's officially the nominee, reality set in and he's only made things worse over the following 12 days or so. We've got anecdotal evidence of multiple conservative/R-leaning people here, and last weekend I was genuinely shocked when my parents' rightwing friend who has shared...interesting views on the inevitable coming race wars was openly ripping Trump as a clown and a buffoon who might actually drive him to vote Clinton. His biggest motivator seemed to be Trump s***ting all over the military and not respecting the office of the Presidency or having respect for the powers and responsibilities it carries.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
It's interesting. This will certainly regress, but usually after a convention where all time is consumed by one party, the next week the other candidate is like "OKAY BUT ME AGAIN" and people are like "Oh right, him/her, I like him/her"

He's spent far more time in the week after the DNC attacking Republicans and promising to set up PACs to primary them than he's spent attacking Clinton. He just can't let anything go, ever.

From that Fox News poll, every single demographic group including Republicans has at least a plurality thinking Trump's response to the Khans was "out of bounds," with every group except Republicans with a very strong majority against.

B7lP9Jx.png

also from that poll

Co96FQwXgAEc46L.jpg

This is not the first poll to show Trump with 0-1% of the African-American vote.

Edited by StrangeSox

If the Dems want to win, they should gather up a collection of respectable people and have them criticize Trump in national ads. He won't be able to help himself from bashing them.

"I was a construction worker who didn't get paid due to Trump."

"THAT GUY SUCKED AT POURING CONCRETE. WHAT A LOSER."

"I lost my legs in Iraq. I don't want Donald Trump as commander in chief."

"NO LEGS, CAN'T EVEN WALK. SAD. SHOULDN'T HAVE STEPPED ON A MINE."

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
If the Dems want to win, they should gather up a collection of respectable people and have them criticize Trump in national ads. He won't be able to help himself from bashing them.

"I was a construction worker who didn't get paid due to Trump."

"THAT GUY SUCKED AT POURING CONCRETE. WHAT A LOSER."

I want someone to ask him a nonsensical question like "Do you believe the sectarian conflict between the ethnic Harambe and Dothraki has led to them all being unfairly maligned as Salafists?"

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)

Oh it will, but the ultimate dream scenario is that Hillary Clinton, target of seething white-hot conservative hatred for over two decades, is elected President with control of the House and Senate and gets to appoint 1-3 SC nominees. All because Donald J. Trump became their nominee. The only thing that would top that story would be a flashback epilogue along the lines of Usual Suspects showing Bill Clinton and Donald Trump planning out how to make it all come to fruition.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)

I'm honestly a little surprised he hasn't taken Tammy Duckworth's bait yet:

Co4m3CGWEAIUJjp.jpg

Tammy Duckworth ‏@TammyforIL Aug 2

.@realdonaldtrump, this is how one usually looks when you are awarded the Purple Heart. Nothing easy about it.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 04:55 PM)
I want someone to ask him a nonsensical question like "Do you believe the sectarian conflict between the ethnic Harambe and Dothraki has led to them all being unfairly maligned as Salafists?"

He'd evade the question and pivot to an attack on Hillary.

Then after being informed about the bogus nature of the question, he'd launch into a "biased, rigged media" schtick.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)

Self-plagiarism!

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)

Related:

Co_UlTwUEAAjdJa.jpg

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
Good think he had higher viewership.

Good thing there aren't record numbers of latinos applying for citizenship in order to be able to vote this fall!

Political Polls @PpollingNumbers

#NEW National GE, Among Latinos:

Clinton 76% (+63)

Trump 13%@NewLatinoVoice/@FIU/@Adsmovil Poll

FYI: Romney won 27% of the Hispanics

8:06 PM - 3 Aug 2016

76-13=63, Clinton has a 63% lead among latino voters over Trump.

Shining symbol of journalistic integrity Breitbart caught using a photo of Cleveland's NBA trophy celebration rally as a photo of a Trump Jacksonville rally

On Trump's claims of watching a "top secret" video from Iran unloading that sweet, sweet cash. Spokeswoman: nope, he never saw a video

"Remember this: Iran — I don't think you heard this anywhere but here — Iran provided all of that footage, the tape of taking that money off the airplane," Trump said at the rally. "Right?"

Trump provided no source for this exclusive information but described in detail what he saw in the video.

"Now, here's the amazing thing: Over there, where that plane landed, top secret, you don't have a lot of paparazzi. You know, the paparazzi doesn't do so well over there, right?" Trump said, seeming to refer to Iran and not Switzerland, where the footage was recorded. "And they have a perfect tape, done by obviously a government camera, and the tape is of the people taking the money off the plane. Right? That means that in order to embarrass us further, Iran sent us the tapes. Right? It's a military tape; it's a tape that was a perfect angle, nice and steady, nobody getting nervous because they're gonna be shot because they're shooting a picture of money pouring off a plane."

Twitter quickly filled with confusion and this central question: What is Trump talking about?

[...]

(Note: This wasn't the only questionable thing Trump said about Iran on Wednesday. Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler dug into Trump's assertion that Hillary Clinton "started talks to give 400 million dollars, in cash, to Iran," evaluating the untrue statement as worthy of four Pinocchios.)

Not exactly shocking that Donald "Top Birther" "I saw Muslims dancing on the streets in NY/NJ on 9/11" Trump completely made something up in his conspiracy-addled mind.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
watching someone still trying to pull the "both sides!" gambit at this point is just sad

Why? Some of us think Hillary is a pathological liar who should be in jail. No way in hell I'd vote for her. No way I'd vote for Trump. So why is that sad? Hillary to some of us Americans is a gosh awful candidate, one of the worst in history as a matter of fact. Why is that so "sad?"

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 03:09 PM)
This is not the first poll to show Trump with 0-1% of the African-American vote.

Why African Americans think Hillary Clinton is going to help them is beyond me. There's nothing so suggest she is a champion of African Americans. I can't believe some independent candidate isn't doing better.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 02:29 PM)
Why? Some of us think Hillary is a pathological liar who should be in jail. No way in hell I'd vote for her. No way I'd vote for Trump. So why is that sad? Hillary to some of us Americans is a gosh awful candidate, one of the worst in history as a matter of fact. Why is that so "sad?"

Because the facts don't support the argument...

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 08:32 PM)
Because the facts don't support the argument...

They do on Hannity's TV show. I have tuned in to watch a little bit this past week and they are very anti Hillary with their comments/stats, etc. Like I said some people think Hillary is pretty close to "evil" if not "evil" itself. Just because I don't vote for Trump doesn't mean I'll ever say a nice word about Hillary. I have praised Bill, however, in the past.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
They do on Hannity's TV show. I have tuned in to watch a little bit this past week and they are very anti Hillary with their comments/stats, etc. Like I said some people think Hillary is pretty close to "evil" if not "evil" itself. Just because I don't vote for Trump doesn't mean I'll ever say a nice word about Hillary. I have praised Bill, however, in the past.

You're in a thread with Democrats/liberals/progressives, boosting Sean Hannity? Seriously?