2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
Lifelong Republicans crossing the aisle is equivalent to the Grand Wizard of the KKK's endorsement?.....ummm, no.

No, not lifelong Republicans crossing the aisle. This isn't about Susan Collins or someone like that backing Clinton. Just Kissinger.

David Duke is huge piece of s***, but I don't ever remember him secretly bombing a country into the stone age or propping up a dictator in Chile that was massacring thousands of people.

Kissinger is awful. I don't have the time to list all the awful s*** he did. It's a long list.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
Lifelong Republicans crossing the aisle is equivalent to the Grand Wizard of the KKK's endorsement?.....ummm, no.

I'm a lifelong Republican and I gladly voted for Obama last time. I vote for the best candidate and Romney to me was a clown. I could never vote for Hillary Clinton, though I do still like Bill. For the life of me I don't understand how she has 90-95 percent of the African American vote. It's not like she is going to help ANY particular cause of anybody. Is there some kind of false hope going on here?

p.s. Just for clarification those who are calling African Americans a "minority" now are grossly incorrect, right? African Americans outnumber whites by a significant amount in the census now, isn't that correct? Whites should be considered a minority now.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)
I'm a lifelong Republican and I gladly voted for Obama last time. I vote for the best candidate and Romney to me was a clown. I could never vote for Hillary Clinton, though I do still like Bill. For the life of me I don't understand how she has 90-95 percent of the African American vote. It's not like she is going to help ANY particular cause of anybody. Is there some kind of false hope going on here?

p.s. Just for clarification those who are calling African Americans a "minority" now are grossly incorrect, right? African Americans outnumber whites by a significant amount in the census now, isn't that correct? Whites should be considered a minority now.

None of your last paragraph is actually true. Take to google for a couple of minutes.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 09:09 PM)
Greg....really? While whites will only be a plurality, and not the majority soon, they are not even close to being eclipsed by a single other minority group.

Thank u for the clarification. I thought I read or heard on O'Reilly that whites were no longer a majority in terms of numbers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 08:04 PM)
Just for clarification those who are calling African Americans a "minority" now are grossly incorrect, right? African Americans outnumber whites by a significant amount in the census now, isn't that correct?

Uhhhh...no. African-Americans make up 12% of the population.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 2, 2016 -> 03:04 PM)

White people make up 61.6% of the country, Hispanic 17.6%, African American 13.3%, Asian 5.6%

I'll admit, I lived through the 1990s, and I was totally unprepared for an entire week of press reports and investigation that found Hillary's State Department service was impressively clean...treated like a week of scandal reports.

Even Hillary fans should see that these investigations are warranted. After all, Clinton is running for the most powerful office in the world. While she was Secretary of State, her husband was overseeing a $2 billion a year charity. That charity took in donations from foreign governments and individuals with international interests. These facts raise legitimate questions. Did donors to the Foundation get special access to the secretary and the department as a result of their donations? If they did get special access, did they receive any favors? Did Hillary or her staff do anything illegal, unethical, or contrary to U.S. interests or administration policy?

The good news is that as a result of these investigations we can now answer those questions pretty definitively: no, no, and no. The bad news is that the press doesn’t seem to want to take “no” for an answer, even if the answer is based on the evidence of its own reporting.

Another way of looking at it is that the press is beginning to treat the Clinton Foundation story the way the Republican still treat Benghazi. The legitimate questions surrounding that incident—What were the precipitating events that lead to the deaths of four diplomats? What might the federal government have done differently to prevent it?—were basically answered when the first after-action press investigations and the 2012 Accountability Review Board Report were published. Keeping the controversy alive with half a dozen more congressional investigations was just a way for Republicans to rough up Clinton.

The GOP at least had an obvious political motive for refusing to admit the obvious on Benghazi. Why the mainstream press is refusing to concede the facts of its own investigations on Hillary and the Clinton Foundation is not so clear.

Can Hillary sideline it all the way to victory? I keep feeling like at some point she's going to have to engage the public or say or do something presidential. Is responding to trump's weekly actions with a righteous tweet going to be enough? I'm rooting for trump the next month to make it a closer race. I want to see some action and i want the debates to decide it.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 4, 2016 -> 03:45 AM)
Can Hillary sideline it all the way to victory? I keep feeling like at some point she's going to have to engage the public or say or do something presidential. Is responding to trump's weekly actions with a righteous tweet going to be enough? I'm rooting for trump the next month to make it a closer race. I want to see some action and i want the debates to decide it.

Good observation Jerksticks. I feel she can win by doing what she's doing. Not many people seem to want the egotistical Trump. I wish people would consider Gary Johnson or simply write in somebody. There's no reason to pick one of Trump/Hillary.

Again as far as your point, it's not like Hillary is out of the public eye. She's doing enough to be seen. Her lead is big enough that she doesn't have to talk all the time and possibly remind people why the Clintons are disliked by so many.

I'd advise Hillary, "Stay the course. Just speak at rallies and enjoy one of the biggest runaway victories in history."

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 5, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
Looks like P Diddy just echoed what I said.

She might be able to just keep hanging out at rich fundraisers & tweet about Trump...but maybe that won't be enough. We'll see how long the media can keep hiding her.

WhileI don't think she is trying to necessarily step in front of Donald before he shoots himself in the foot, in a normal campaign her normal activities would be covered. but her big rally in OH last week to talk to Veterans was not covered...because Trump went to Mexico and then doubled down on deportations.

What did come out was a series of articles with scary tones about the Clinton Foundation that had zero actual allegations of improprieties that were backed up in the articles.

Meanwhile, Trump Foundation actually did illegally donate money to an AG race Florida just after she said FLA might join the suit against Trump University and then suddenly declined after the donation.

Trumps strategy is to suck all of the medias oxygen in the room with outlandish tactics. It works, he gets all of the coverage. Now, obviously doing outlandish things is not a great strategy for the voters who take the president's job seriously, but it is effective in what it aims for - to be what everyone is talking about all the time.