2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 07:56 AM)
OK.

I think you are misunderstanding how polls work. There are internet polls, and direct polls. The articles you linked are all about internet polls - which are simply driven by whomever clicks, which can (obviously) be gamed quite easily. No sampling work is done, no random calls or anything like that. They get linked by people wanting to drive the polls a certain way. The few actual direct polls - ones that follow mathematically valid methods - all showed (as we linked for you earlier) a real sampling of LV or RV (or whatever the subset is).

Internet polls carry zero meaning in evaluating anything. They're just for fun.

I never claimed that they were scientific. Let that be clear.

QUOTE (brett05 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 10:04 AM)
It means there were a lot of people that felt Trump won. You'd have to prove a conspiracy.

Of course a lot of people thought Trump won. Millions I'm sure, some of whom probably didn't even watch the debate.

But the scientific polls show you that a lot MORE millions thought Clinton won.

There is no conspiracy. It's the difference between an actual scientific poll, versus an internet click bait. Are you seriously trying to say they are of the same value for the purpose of evaluating things?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/white-house-...-091500724.html

Bill Clinton taking shots at ObamaCare, probably not greatly appreciated...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump...-141950838.html

Trump already planting seeds about rigged election, pretty amusing the way the writer debunked the main points

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (brett05 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 06:45 AM)
I'd but Roe v Wade there. The overturn on Prop 8 (though personally I think marriage should be left out of the government completely no matter how it is defined)

So your instances of judicial activism by SCOTUS, mandating a return to a more Conservative, Constitution upholding Court are (1) a decision from 1973 involving none of the current justices; (2) a decision authored by one of the Conservative justices on the Court upholding a law passed by Congress; and (3) gay marriage.

It's ok to say that you want SCOTUS to align with the Conservative principles that you believe in. I'd disagree with you from a philosophical standpoint on that. But it's a complete mischaracterization to say that those values are the values of a "constitutional court," implying that the remainder of the Court is not a "constitutional court," and ignores the Constitution in rendering their decisions.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 5, 2016 -> 10:46 PM)
Cause everybody is hurting. I don't know many people who are not living paycheck to paycheck. There is a crisis in the economy. There are the poor. There is the middle class, which is really hurting. And there are the one percenters. The economy blows, folks. I don't know anybody with any money. Health care is exactly like Bill Clinton said. Expensive as hell and reduced benefits.

Amen. The economy blows. Nobody I know has any money.

I simply disagree. Pick any part of America. How bout race relations? We're close to having a civil war over this Black Lives Matters situation. Close to having a war against our police, who are killing people at an alarming rate. Overseas relations? Obama is despised by Russia, China, even the Philippeans. Economy? Please.

The economy is very much up over the last several years with huge growth in many industries like real estate and tech. We are literally in the middle of a gigantic tech boom. Also people arent being killed at an alarming rate, murders are down overall in the US.

I'm sure some of this is the scare tactics you hear on the radio or wherever you get your info, but its all simply not true. There are always parts of the population that are going to be hurting for jobs and money, its like that under any government in any era.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
Of course a lot of people thought Trump won. Millions I'm sure, some of whom probably didn't even watch the debate.

But the scientific polls show you that a lot MORE millions thought Clinton won.

There is no conspiracy. It's the difference between an actual scientific poll, versus an internet click bait. Are you seriously trying to say they are of the same value for the purpose of evaluating things?

No I am not.

The CNN poll may meet the scientific criteria but has a built in bias by their own admission toward democrats.

I also do not think the vote totals for the scientific polls approached the non, but I digress.

My statement was that most polls had Trump as the winner and at the time it was said I was correct.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
So your instances of judicial activism by SCOTUS, mandating a return to a more Conservative, Constitution upholding Court are (1) a decision from 1973 involving none of the current justices; (2) a decision authored by one of the Conservative justices on the Court upholding a law passed by Congress; and (3) gay marriage.

It's ok to say that you want SCOTUS to align with the Conservative principles that you believe in. I'd disagree with you from a philosophical standpoint on that. But it's a complete mischaracterization to say that those values are the values of a "constitutional court," implying that the remainder of the Court is not a "constitutional court," and ignores the Constitution in rendering their decisions.

I'm ok with agreeing to disagree.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
The economy is very much up over the last several years with huge growth in many industries like real estate and tech. We are literally in the middle of a gigantic tech boom. Also people arent being killed at an alarming rate, murders are down overall in the US.

I'm sure some of this is the scare tactics you hear on the radio or wherever you get your info, but its all simply not true. There are always parts of the population that are going to be hurting for jobs and money, its like that under any government in any era.

To be fair, greg does live in Kansas, and Gov. Brownback and the Republican legislature there have lit the entire economy in that state on fire.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/white-house-...-091500724.html

Bill Clinton taking shots at ObamaCare, probably not greatly appreciated...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump...-141950838.html

Trump already planting seeds about rigged election, pretty amusing the way the writer debunked the main points

The GOP is already starting to disconnect from him so they can hopefully keep congress and start to pass Ryan's agenda. Its a smart move.

QUOTE (brett05 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 11:03 AM)
So no other specific facts that I have dodged like you said there were?

should I just respond "I think it's been discussed in this thread enough" while I'm waiting for you to respond to what Badger and Illinilaw said yesterday and today? How long ago did you dismiss voter disenfranchisement in NC? Any more polls that you can post while at the same time claiming conspiracy?

QUOTE (brett05 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 05:02 PM)
I also do not think the vote totals for the scientific polls approached the non, but I digress.

Correct, scientific polls of actual people typically don't reach the totals of online polls that can be answered repeatedly by the same person over and over, or bots.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
To be fair, greg does live in Kansas, and Gov. Brownback and the Republican legislature there have lit the entire economy in that state on fire.

For sure, that is a factor in what people see and thats why many rural, lower income families are wanting to "make america great again." But overall in this country most of those ideas or notions on the economy etc are simply inaccurate.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
Correct, scientific polls of actual people typically don't reach the totals of online polls that can be answered repeatedly by the same person over and over, or bots.

Incognito browser FTW!!!

QUOTE (brett05 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)

Cool digression.

Either you're making a bad-faith argument just to troll, or you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how polling works. It's one or the other.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
This recent segment on O'Reilly about Asians...just....uhh...

Fox News Outdoes Itself With a Ridiculously Racist Segment About Trump and Asians

So not exactly shocking that Clinton's up by more than 40 points against Trump with Asians. Thank you people of color for saving white america from its trump-voting self.

Dude said basically that this segment is supposed to be funny and people need to lighten up. This is why the vast majority of comedians aren't conservative, save for the occasional Larry the Cable Guy or unfunny Dennis Miller.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
The GOP is already starting to disconnect from him so they can hopefully keep congress and start to pass Ryan's agenda. Its a smart move.

On the other hand, Ryan just announced that he's hitting the campaign trail with Trump.