2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 09:25 PM)
It's laughable and disrespectful to anyone who's ever had hardship or adversity.

This is exactly what is wrong with people. WTF? Seriously, who are you to be some sort of "feelings" police. Bmags can feel however he wants. And before you start, there have been plenty of times where Bmags and I have not seen eye to eye, and he probably is going to be shocked that I am the one posting this. But if its Bmags worst day, its his worst day. I dont know what he has gone through, I dont care. If he says its a bad day for him, then he is entitled to it being a bad day.

Its not a contest, its not some sort of "oh well I suffered worse so it cant possibly be a bad day for you." Why do you care? Why does it matter to you if its his worst day, best day, or somewhere in between? How in any way does it diminish a bad day I had, or a tragedy I overcame? How is it in any way disrespectful? He didnt say anything about anyone else, he merely said what he felt.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:01 AM)
That's one person and it's just ridiculous that people are acting as if their world is over. The president changing doesn't change the country to the extent where people's lives are being ruined. There's too much in life to concern yourself with where the worst day of your life is a day of politics. Just like the left was saying with Trump when he supposedly wasn't going to "accept the outcome", these people need to accept the outcome. You don't win every time out. Luckily, like sports, there are more important things in the world to worry about after it's over.

I think people are legit bummed about the outcome of the election but you can't really tell people how they should feel. It's your freedom to do so but I personally think it's poor in taste and borderline trolling.

It's not 1968 with MLK and JFK assassinated and the Chicago Democratic convention in complete chaos, it's not 9-11 or Pearl Harbor, but the last time I remember this feeling was the 1994 Newt Gingrich/Contract With America repudiation of the Clintons. But that was still less surprising than this particular result.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 06:02 AM)
Just wait until Trump opens up another investigation into the Clintons after inauguration or tries to bring criminal charges.

He goes that route, he's going to re-energize a lot of young people who sat out this election.

No one will f***ing care at all.

Hell I half want Hillary Clinton in prison for letting a white supremacist beat her in the election.

Well, if Clinton won...it would have prevented the Democrats from winning again in 2020 or running Warren etc. until eight years from now, so there's that.

Of course, there's no guarantee the GOP won't have some tricks up their sleeves as well.

With control of Congress, there's also oing to be zero excuse for not governing going into the 2018 midterms, and Clinton still managed to win the popular vote. Not only that, but that's the end of centrist/moderate Democratic politics in the Clinton mode...Democratic Leadership Council, etc. it's officially been put out to pasture, and the Bernie coalition will be at the center of the new group, holding the Debbie Wasserman Schulz's/establishment feet to the fire.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 12:01 AM)
That's one person and it's just ridiculous that people are acting as if their world is over. The president changing doesn't change the country to the extent where people's lives are being ruined. There's too much in life to concern yourself with where the worst day of your life is a day of politics. Just like the left was saying with Trump when he supposedly wasn't going to "accept the outcome", these people need to accept the outcome. You don't win every time out. Luckily, like sports, there are more important things in the world to worry about after it's over.

This is the problem. The people supporting Trump truly have no clue how bad this will be. The very people supporting him (aside from white males) will be the ones who will be s*** upon the most. They ate up everything that nut had to say.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 07:51 AM)
I am still in such disbelief that with everything that happened the last two years, it's the Democratic Party that has no voice. This is a nightmare.

They assumed too early that she was the best candidate...and "owed" the opportunity after the disappointment and close call of 2008. It's the same way the GOP ended up with Dole, McCain and Romney.

All that stuff coming out about Bernie getting the shaft had to hurt the 18-29 year old vote in those key Rust Belt states that experienced depressed turnout. And African-Americans were still wary about the Clintons after the 2008 South Carolina primary.

Biden, Warren and perhaps Sanders all could have taken Trump out.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 08:27 AM)
This is the problem. The people supporting Trump truly have no clue how bad this will be. The very people supporting him (aside from white males) will be the ones who will be s*** upon the most. They ate up everything that nut had to say.

They don't care if they get hurt as long as it hurts brown people more. That's why their party was motivated to turn out. All these posts about how the Democrats weren't passionate to turn out ignores the other side - white people turned out, lower income level people still voted for Democrats, but the only segment that voted for Trump was the group that was passionately committed to getting rid of anyone who is different.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 10:01 PM)
That's one person and it's just ridiculous that people are acting as if their world is over. The president changing doesn't change the country to the extent where people's lives are being ruined. There's too much in life to concern yourself with where the worst day of your life is a day of politics. Just like the left was saying with Drumpf when he supposedly wasn't going to "accept the outcome", these people need to accept the outcome. You don't win every time out. Luckily, like sports, there are more important things in the world to worry about after it's over.

People acting like the world is over? Read the dozens of examples on Shaun King's twitter timeline of racists being emboldened and harassing people all over the country. This is only one day after he's been elected. It's only going to get worse so don't tell me that people are overreacting.

example 1

example 2

example 3

example 4

example 5

example 6

example 7

example 8

example 9

example 10

the list goes on

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)
People acting like the world is over? Read the dozens of examples on Shaun King's twitter timeline of racists being emboldened and harassing people all over the country. This is only one day after he's been elected. It's only going to get worse so don't tell me that people are overreacting.

example 1

example 2

example 3

example 4

example 5

example 6

example 7

example 8

example 9

example 10

the list goes on

from Michigan

Royal Oak students chant 'build the wall' in viral video

and some more

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/education/...-county_article

This won't and can't be taken lying down, giving up, handing the country over to the smaller number of people who chose hate.

nliCSAj.jpg

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
I just learned that countries like Australia have compulsory voting where everyone is required to vote. Why wouldn't that work here? I don't know much about it to be honest but it sounds like a great idea, especially given our abysmal turnouts.

Because our founding fathers actually wanted to prevent "uninformed" people from voting. Making people who dont care or dont know anything isnt the answer, it will just lead to more stupid s***.

There is a fundamental fight in our country right now, urban v. rural, its nothing new. The problem is that both sides get hijacked by special interests and nothing gets accomplished.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
I just learned that countries like Australia have compulsory voting where everyone is required to vote. Why wouldn't that work here? I don't know much about it to be honest but it sounds like a great idea, especially given our abysmal turnouts.

The idea of compulsory anything flies in the face of freedom.