2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

If he HATED Jewish people, he wouldn't have allowed Ivanka to marry Jared Kushner, especially with a criminal probe hanging over Kushner's father in NJ. Netanyahu apparently prefers to work with Trump. In fact, between Putin and Netanyahu (I guess you can add Duterte now as well), those are the three foreign leaders most outspoken about disliking Obama and US foreign policy in the last 2-3 years.

Of course, when you make flippant statements about preferring for them to count your money (compared to African-Americans) or that your son-in-law is somehow qualified to mediate the Israeli/Palestinian conflict simply because he has a high EQ and is also Jewish is dubious at best.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/clinton-leads-tr...-184044245.html

Clinton up by more than 2 million votes now in the popular vote, almost 4X the spread as Gore over Bush in 2000

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/23/politics/ele...rump/index.html

If Hillary wins the election do you think Trump's more extreme crazies would start a violent civil war so to speak? Hillary won by almost 2 million votes now. Certainly if she asks for investigations in the four key states/recounts she'll likely be deemed the winner. At some point isn't Trump destined to lose and Hillary win? Can Obama demand the recount in key states?

I'm just amazed every four years we have talk of corruption in the voting process. What the f*** is going on in our USA elections??? Sad stuff.

At this point I would think it'd be funny seeing Hillary win it after all. Trump could claim it was rigged and he'd probably happily go back to being a millionaire business guy. Why can't our election people make sure this stuff does not happen? Why does it take so long to count the votes in some states???

Edited by greg775

Greg don't get your hopes up. Unless it was a nationwide "hack" the narratives don't make sense. She did very well in areas with educated individuals. So rural Wisconsin performance mirrors how she did in sat rural Illinois or Montana or any other uneducated area. She did even better than Obama in the cities/burbs across the country. She even won Orange County, ca. It's been like 70 years since a dem won out there. But in states that matter she lost uneducated America at a far higher rate than obama did.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/educat...vote-for-trump/

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 03:12 AM)
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/23/politics/ele...rump/index.html

If Hillary wins the election do you think Trump's more extreme crazies would start a violent civil war so to speak? Hillary won by almost 2 million votes now. Certainly if she asks for investigations in the four key states/recounts she'll likely be deemed the winner. At some point isn't Trump destined to lose and Hillary win? Can Obama demand the recount in key states?

I'm just amazed every four years we have talk of corruption in the voting process. What the f*** is going on in our USA elections??? Sad stuff.

At this point I would think it'd be funny seeing Hillary win it after all. Trump could claim it was rigged and he'd probably happily go back to being a millionaire business guy. Why can't our election people make sure this stuff does not happen? Why does it take so long to count the votes in some states???

You are amazed that corrupt politicians try and corrupt elections in order to keep their jobs?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/middle-class...0--finance.html

Almost 8 million middle class families could pay more taxes under Trump (especially single mothers)...top 1% gets a lot richer and everyone will act surprised when the Federal debt level increases.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016...on.html?ref=yfp

It's the Storytelling (Not the Economy), Stupid!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-t-amer...-101500439.html

Medicare cuts will probably take place after 2018, when the Dems have to defend 33 Senate seats to 5 for the Republicans...of course, nobody is pointing to the military spending from 2002, unfunded Medicare B giveaway as two of the primary drivers of runaway government spending. They simply blame Obama but foget what a complete mess things were in from 2008-09.

Edited by caulfield12

Democrats are defending 23 senate seats. 2 independent seats. 8 seats for republicans.

A lot can change in 2 years (retirements, running for governors races etc) but right now it looks like 7 big races per cook political report.

1. Heller ® - Nevada

2. Flake ® - Arizona

3. Brown (D) - Ohio

4. McCaskill (D) - Missouri

5. Donnelley (D) - Indiana

6. King (I) - Maine

7. Nelson (D) - Florida

Personally I think that #2, 6, and 7 won't be too competitive and that the incumbents will win. I'd replace them with Heitkamp (D)- North Dakota, and Baldwin (D) Wisconsin.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Nov 25, 2016 -> 07:52 PM)
Democrats are defending 23 senate seats. 2 independent seats. 8 seats for republicans.

A lot can change in 2 years (retirements, running for governors races etc) but right now it looks like 7 big races per cook political report.

1. Heller ® - Nevada

2. Flake ® - Arizona

3. Brown (D) - Ohio

4. McCaskill (D) - Missouri

5. Donnelley (D) - Indiana

6. King (I) - Maine

7. Nelson (D) - Florida

Personally I think that #2, 6, and 7 won't be too competitive and that the incumbents will win. I'd replace them with Heitkamp (D)- North Dakota, and Baldwin (D) Wisconsin.

Guess the article I read was off by 10 and 2 on the GOP side. Obviously, GOP goal is 60, but that's a tough row to hoe for the incumbent president's political party in the first midterms.

Also I rather enjoyed this:

During the run-up to the presidential election, fake news really took off. "It was just anybody with a blog can get on there and find a big, huge Facebook group of kind of rabid Trump supporters just waiting to eat up this red meat that they're about to get served," Coler says. "It caused an explosion in the number of sites. I mean, my gosh, the number of just fake accounts on Facebook exploded during the Trump election."

Coler says his writers have tried to write fake news for liberals — but they just never take the bait.

Well, this isn't just a Trump-supporter problem. This is a right-wing issue. Sarah Palin's famous blasting of the lamestream media is kind of record and testament to the rise of these kinds of people. The post-fact era is what I would refer to it as. This isn't something that started with Trump. This is something that's been in the works for a while. His whole campaign was this thing of discrediting mainstream media sources, which is one of those dog whistles to his supporters. When we were coming up with headlines it's always kind of about the red meat. Trump really got into the red meat. He knew who his base was. He knew how to feed them a constant diet of this red meat.

We've tried to do similar things to liberals. It just has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la...ry.html?ref=yfp

Immigrants fear that definition of "criminal" will be stretched under Trump.

Didn't realize Obama had actually done such a "good" job sending aliens back already, to listen to the campaign the past 18 months...more and more of these stories hopefully will turn the tide against more draconian measures which painfully separate parents and children.

Edited by caulfield12

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/26/politics/don...ount/index.html

Calling the Dems "badly defeated and demoralized" isn't going to win him any bipartisanship awards. Same with the environmental cause.

Demoralized, sure...but's not like he came close to winning the popular vote or has a mandate to completely abandon working class whites by tearing down Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.

It's also only going to motivate stronger resistance from the DNC and Liz Warren on the Senate Judicial Committee looking to pounce on every possible ethics lapse.

For example, Trump owns between $15-$50,000 in stock of that Dakota pipeline company. Pretty much every single issue facing the president, both foreign and domestic, is going to have implications for Trump businesses. Just watch the insider trading on stock of the two major private/for-profit prison companies as this mass detention/deportation (see Kris Kobach) thing unfolds.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)
Yes. Completely and utterly.

Yes. This can't happen. Doesn't matter which side you are on or lean towards. If this recount determines HRC should be president lock your doors. There will be blood in the streets, lone wolf attacks in DC and state capital cities- people will die. All faith in government and the democratic system will be severely challenged or lost. Am i crazy?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 27, 2016 -> 01:26 AM)
Yes. This can't happen. Doesn't matter which side you are on or lean towards. If this recount determines HRC should be president lock your doors. There will be blood in the streets, lone wolf attacks in DC and state capital cities- people will die. All faith in government and the democratic system will be severely challenged or lost. Am i crazy?

The US survived 1968 and Watergate...but it would require incontrovertible proof in Clinton's favor. Like the Russians coming out and admitting their involvement. If anything, the US dollar and stock market couldn't be stronger, so other than having the US "overlook" a Latvian invasion, which would require Trump breaking from NATO...not sure of their angle poltically or militarily.

Turkey or Syria/ISIS/Assad? Montenegro (Russia has been accused of attempting an assasination to put a puppet government in charge in an effort to dilute NATO). Crimea/Ukraine?

Besides, the Green Party "scam" still has $18 million to go in order to catch up with the Trump University scam.

Trump Company "profits" and reimbursements from the campaign/election already in the $10-15 million range and climbing. $3+ million for the Secret Service to rent two floors at Trump Tower per year. Not to mention $1 million per day cost to the city of New York, rerouting flights...reinforcing subways, etc.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/presidential-pro...-200551548.html

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 27, 2016 -> 07:26 AM)

Too bad there isn't a way to just let Obama serve two more years, blame the Russians for interfering. Then tell both parties to get their act together and find some real candidates. Both sides picked horrific candidates in 2016.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 04:50 PM)
Has there been any follow-up polling to Foster Campbell? Not sure why I should care, obviously all of the secret voters come out of the woodwork.

http://www.fostercampbell2016.com/

Donated again. He's really going to help the khaki caucus reassert dominance.

Louisiana is the classic case of democrats not getting voters registered or out to the polls. See the 2010 census below.

According to the 2010 Census:

White Americans – 63.7% (59.9% non-Hispanic white, 3.8% White Hispanic)

Black or African American – 30.4%

Asian – 2.8%

Multiracial American – 1.6%

Native American – 1.0%

Other race – 1.5%

Hispanic or Latino of any race – 6.5%

So it's basically 60% white and 40% non white

For dems-- get 35% of the white vote and 80% of the non white vote and you win. 53-47%

Even at 75% non white vote you're at 51%

Used to have democratic senators....

Clinton won it in 1992 and 1996.

Gore lost it by 7.7%

Kerry lost it by 14.5%

Obama lost it by 18.5% in 2008

Obama lost it by 17.2% in 2012

Clinton lost it by 19.7% in 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empowering_Patients_First_Act

This is likely to be the Republican Health Care plan introduced by Price/Ryan...as the replacement for ObamaCare. Judge for yourself whether people will be better off today or in the future.

Major provisions of the Act include tax deductions and credits to aid in the purchasing of health insurance, the promotion of state-based high-risk insurance pools, the creation of individual and small employer membership associations and association health plans, allowing for interstate insurance markets, a reform of malpractice lawsuits, and loan and loan repayment programs. The Act intends to fund itself through cuts to future spending increases, more commonly known as sequestration, and expected declines in the uninsured population. The Act's effects on the general public and the federal budget have yet to be assessed by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) and the Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT).

Edited by caulfield12

There has to be an individual mandate or coverage rates are going to decrease again. People don't want to buy insurance. It's the sad truth. Many would rather "roll the bones" and hope they never need anything serious. And if they do, they'll skip out on the doctors/hospitals on payment because they don't have it or file bankruptcy.

In turn these providers will charge more to other patients/insurance companies to offset the losses. Then insurance rates will rise to offset the additional charges. I don't care what they call it. Call it Trumpcare for all I care. Just leave the individual mandate in.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 03:13 AM)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empowering_Patients_First_Act

This is likely to be the Republican Health Care plan introduced by Price/Ryan...as the replacement for ObamaCare. Judge for yourself whether people will be better off today or in the future.

[iThe Act intends to fund itself through cuts to future spending increases, more commonly known as sequestration, and expected declines in the uninsured population. The Act's effects on the general public and the federal budget have yet to be assessed by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) and the Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT).[/i]

As for this piece, I'll quote wolf of Wall Street

MARK HANNAH: It's all a fugazi /fuɡɑzi/. Do you know what fugazi /fuɡɑzi/ is?

JORDAN BELFORT: Fugazi /fuɡeɪzi/, it's a fake ...

MARK HANNAH: Yeah, fugazi /fuɡeɪzi/, fugazi /fuɡɑzi/. It's a wahzi, it's a woozy. It's ... fairy dust. It doesn't exist, it's never landed, it is no matter, it's not on the elemental chart. It's not f***ing real.