2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 08:02 PM)
Bernie Sanders agreed to do a Fox News Town Hall. Clinton declined said she had a scheduling conflict. Then she heard Bernie was going so she agreed. Either way, I'll give her credit. Pretty ballsy to show up.

Maybe Fox will have her go first for once instead of the other way around where Bernie never had a chance to counter anything she said.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know you won't believe me, but I like to ask people in an objective tone IN PERSON what they think of Hillary. I don't pre-judge or lead into it by saying I despise her and can't watch her on TV cause of her voice/yelling.

I just ask without tipping my hand on my feelings toward her til later in the discussion.

Today two more people went on long rants about how she is a liar and should be in big legal trouble over the email thing. I told these 2 people that nobody seems to care about the email thing and they were adamant and got very upset that they indeed care and it will ultimately bring Hillary down. We shall see.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 07:42 AM)
I know you won't believe me, but I like to ask people in an objective tone IN PERSON what they think of Hillary. I don't pre-judge or lead into it by saying I despise her and can't watch her on TV cause of her voice/yelling.

I just ask without tipping my hand on my feelings toward her til later in the discussion.

Today two more people went on long rants about how she is a liar and should be in big legal trouble over the email thing. I told these 2 people that nobody seems to care about the email thing and they were adamant and got very upset that they indeed care and it will ultimately bring Hillary down. We shall see.

here is my piece. unless the rep party can show they have someone to run, i will choose the dem party person.

ref to Hillary, he has been dislike from the get go, whether it is b/c she is the wife of randy Billy boy, i don't know, nor do i care. is it b/c she is a women and is being given alot of freedom, maybe, prob yes.

is she a liar, per people perception, ok, let me ask this, which politician isn't a liar??? so yes she is just like many others. is she intelligent, enuf to govern the country, i think so. can't be worst that Bush jr. will she be able to stand up against the other foreign powers, well who is her Secretaries of different offices?

i think she may be more qualified of who will be running and if she is a wicked sob that fights for the rights of Americans, that is fine with me.

when was the last time the world was really afraid to fucck with America..... Bush Sr, and before him, Reagan.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
Nobody cares.

My hope is the FBI isn't in the business of wasting its time and it recommends formal charges. Then if Obama throws out the case or the attorney general won't prosecute they are given hell by Congress. Ideally she will have to be replaced as candidate cause nobody wants impeachment. That would not be good for the country.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
Sanders says white people don't know what it is like to be poor. Hot take there Bernie.

Are you telling me Bernie is finally pandering to minority voters after he got his ass kicked in every state with a large amount of minorities in it?

I thought David Gergen made a really great point in regards to the Bernie Sanders thing...actually it was in response to both candidates sort of flubbing the issue.

Ultimately, these are two very well-meaning people who have done a lot to help minorities, but are struggling with how to navigate the minefield that is being a white presidential candidate discussing race relations. So Bernie should have said "White people don't understand what it is like to live in poor black neighborhoods" instead of "ghetto."

Cut them a little slack already.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 01:03 AM)
I thought David Gergen made a really great point in regards to the Bernie Sanders thing...actually it was in response to both candidates sort of flubbing the issue.

Ultimately, these are two very well-meaning people who have done a lot to help minorities, but are struggling with how to navigate the minefield that is being a white presidential candidate discussing race relations. So Bernie should have said "White people don't understand what it is like to live in poor black neighborhoods" instead of "ghetto."

Cut them a little slack already.

I agree, cut 'em slack.

I guess the media has always tried for "gotcha" moments in campaigns. This is not new. But it's kind of amusing that's part of our political process. Every time these guys speak, the reporters' challenge is to monitor every word and nail them to the wall if possible. It's kinda funny. Again I realize this is nothing new. Zinger comments in debates, etc., through the years.

On Monday, Sanders attempted to clarify his debate statement, telling a gaggle of reporters in Detroit: “What I meant to say, is when you talk about ghettos, traditionally what you’re talking about is African-American communities.”

Oh man bernie. Time to just shut up.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 06:46 PM)
If you a person in poverty in the United States, you are most likely white.

By sheer numbers, yes. But only because there are more white people in the US than anything else. By percentages, no.

http://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/l...emo/p60-252.pdf

For example, average family income by race.

Asian $74k

White $60k

Hispanic $42k

Black $35k

% in poverty by race

White 12.9%

Asian 13.1%

Hispanic 24.7%

Black 25.2%

If you are black or hispanic, you are about twice as likely to be in poverty than white.

Can't tell you how gobsmacked I was seeing Trump in the lead in Illinois. What's worse, his biggest stronghold was the suburbs.

I don't know what it takes to vote in the primary, but I'm wondering if I should just vote in republican primary.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 09:37 AM)
Can't tell you how gobsmacked I was seeing Trump in the lead in Illinois. What's worse, his biggest stronghold was the suburbs.

That's the least surprising part to me.

I don't know what it takes to vote in the primary, but I'm wondering if I should just vote in republican primary.

IIRC you just walk up and ask for the appropriate ballot. Illinois has an open primary system.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
Really? I would have thought it was more like 50% Rubio there.

Less religious than rural and downstate voters who might prefer a conservative evangelical like Cruz, but still plenty of working class white suburbanites drawn into Trump's racial nationalism.

Not sure. Duckworth has been really savvy politically in elections but it's hard for me to follow the house in anything other than what Madigan is doing. Kirk's latest commercials are gross thou

I watched a bit of the democratic debate and was flabbergasted by the stat that 1 out of 3 african american males will be incarated in their lifetime. Is that really true. That is astonishing. Or is that stat inflated a bit by multiple offenders (i.e., they take offenders by race and jail visits and than divide by total population by racial profile)?

The income inequalities by race are also staggering and it is also amazing how that despite various regimes (dem / republican), they have remained that way for so long. Things that make you pause and wonder whether anything currently on the table from either party really would do anything to help or whether there has to be a much more revoluationary game changer (and no I don't have that answer).

A significant part of the wealth disparity is due to 20th century housing policies, both public and private. Post-WW2, the federal government was subsidizing home ownership like crazy, leading to the big suburban boom. Of course, these programs were pretty much exclusively limited to white people thanks to government and private discrimination. Redlining prevented any chance of investment and growth of wealth in black communities. To this day, lenders still have settlements over racist lending policies, typically by pushing minorities borrowers into higher cost loans even when they qualify for better terms. Several big banks have had settlements in recent years, and Toyota just had a big settlement last month over car loans.

I watched a bit of the democratic debate and was flabbergasted by the stat that 1 out of 3 african american males will be incarated in their lifetime. Is that really true. That is astonishing. Or is that stat inflated a bit by multiple offenders (i.e., they take offenders by race and jail visits and than divide by total population by racial profile)?

The income inequalities by race are also staggering and it is also amazing how that despite various regimes (dem / republican), they have remained that way for so long. Things that make you pause and wonder whether anything currently on the table from either party really would do anything to help or whether there has to be a much more revoluationary game changer (and no I don't have that answer).

Here's your revolutionary game-changer. It will cost a s***load, but it will do more to start erasing income inequality than anything else:

Turn every inner-city school into a community center. Attached/adjacent to, but administered separately from, every school up to 8th grade is a community center that will provide supervision/support to children of working parents from 6am-9pm Monday-Friday and 8am-5pm Saturday. Anytime during those hours (but outside of actual school hours) parents can leave their kids there. Kids will learn life skills and social responsibility. Parents will be able to work without having to worry about who will watch the kids. Parents can also get help getting job training and help finding jobs. This is a way to keep kids not only off the streets, but doing something more productive than sitting at home watching TV/playing video games. It may take a generation or two to see the real results, but that's where you need to start.

Next best thing is to be much more aggressive in taking kids away from criminal and/or drug addicted parents and give people considering adoption bigger financial incentives to do so.

The government can do a lot of things, but the government can never eliminate the influence a parent has on a kid's chance at getting out of poverty. Here's one way the government can help people become better parents, and then one way to get the kids better parents if all else fails.

Bernie offering free college is nice, but a lot of these kids are never going to get far enough to take advantage of that.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

To the attorneys on here ... how is Hillary not in jail over this latest report by the Washington Post?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/cli...e7df_story.html

This is no partisan witch hunt folks. Get used to Bernie time. For Bernie is waiting in the wings if jail comes calling

http://www.investors.com/politics/editoria...e-just-blew-up/

p.s.

Please read the last part of the article ...

It says, "Under the law, gross negligence in handling classified material is all that’s required for a government official to face criminal charges. At this point, is there anyone who can honestly say that Clinton wasn’t being grossly negligent?"

I ask you: I know some want Hillary to be president as part of a lifetime achievement award. They want her in there because she it's her turn. But at some point in most baseball seasons when you realize your team is not good enough to win, you finally give up. Why can't America "give up" on Hillary and realize what she did was criminal? If somebody does what she did she must pay. All I ask is she be prosecuted like anybody else in government who does what she did.

Edited by greg775