2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)
Mississippi just signed into law a measure allowing business and government workers to deny services based on religious beliefs i.e. refuse to hand out marriage licenses for same-sex couples.

Good thing they aren't a destination state or tourist state or place the NCAA or NFL or other sports like to go to. Those organizations would now boycott.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bernie has all the money in the world for his campaign; he's about to win Wisconsin big; he is vibrant and has all the kids on his side. He's different in an age where we desperately need somebody different in power. Why? Not? Bernie?

GET RID OF SUPERDELEGATE SYSTEM!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
Bernie has all the money in the world for his campaign; he's about to win Wisconsin big; he is vibrant and has all the kids on his side. He's different in an age where we desperately need somebody different in power. Why? Not? Bernie?

GET RID OF SUPERDELEGATE SYSTEM!

The Superdelegate system really affects nothing in this race.

Before today, Hillary Clinton earned 2.5 Million Votes more than Bernie Sanders. After tonight, it will be only 2.4 Million more votes.

Before today, Hillary Clinton had a lead of 224 pledged delegates (not superdelegates), after tonight it will still be 210+.

If the convention was tomorrow, Hillary Clinton would still be the nominee, and she's likely to win the primaries in the three largest contests left to go - New York, Pennsylvania and California. The superdelegate system has nothing to do with any of that. In fact, Bernie Sanders only path to the nomination would involve taking advantage of the superdelegate system - because the likelihood that he'll lead in pledged delegates at the end of the primary calendar is actually pretty low.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 01:39 AM)
So Bernie wins tonight and the pundits are only talking about Cruz/Trump. Give Bernie his due. Any chance he can steal New York? Or no hope.

My gut says no since that's Hilary's wheelhouse. That debate could help if Sanders gives a strong showing. The problem is even if they split the delegates more or less, he'll still trail. It's a long shot for him but stranger things have happened.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 10:54 PM)
The Superdelegate system really affects nothing in this race.

Before today, Hillary Clinton earned 2.5 Million Votes more than Bernie Sanders. After tonight, it will be only 2.4 Million more votes.

Before today, Hillary Clinton had a lead of 224 pledged delegates (not superdelegates), after tonight it will still be 210+.

If the convention was tomorrow, Hillary Clinton would still be the nominee, and she's likely to win the primaries in the three largest contests left to go - New York, Pennsylvania and California. The superdelegate system has nothing to do with any of that. In fact, Bernie Sanders only path to the nomination would involve taking advantage of the superdelegate system - because the likelihood that he'll lead in pledged delegates at the end of the primary calendar is actually pretty low.

When some of the states caucus and some have primaries you cannot just count the number of votes and expect it to have any sort of legitimacy. Most caucus states do not release the actual popular vote count. Bernie has done extremely well in caucuses and if those states had been primary states that number you are quoting would be substantially smaller.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 12:54 PM)
Well, to be honest, I think this is largely fine. We ask these people about a large range of topics, many of which will never change. But there's also a possibility that an event could occur pushing something to the forefront, and it's a worthwhile exercise to know where they stand on it.

I don't think Sanders necessarily needs to have a fully fleshed out single payer system, that doesn't bother me.

This bothers me more. If you are going to basically accuse all of your contemporaries of being in the pocket of big banks, and that wall street is by its very nature corrupt, and then can't speak beyond platitudes on that, that's almost...insincere! That almost seems like something a politician would do. I can't see Warren stumbling over that stuff.

Also, I love how the interview seems to push that, hey, maybe dodd frank actually does things. "How would you do this" "well I would use Dodd Frank"...Dodd Frank, the useless piece of legislation bought and paid for by banks and pushed by corporate democrats?

Here is my problem with this specific situation. Sanders has made this a central theme to his campaign. His campaign commercials during the Illinois primary mentioned this specifically as one of the things he was going to do.

We aren't talking about a random gotcha question here. This is a central plank in his platform. This is some Donald Trump type stuff.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 01:08 PM)
Here is my problem with this specific situation. Sanders has made this a central theme to his campaign. His campaign commercials during the Illinois primary mentioned this specifically as one of the things he was going to do.

We aren't talking about a random gotcha question here. This is a central plank in his platform. This is some Donald Trump type stuff.

Exactly. That interview proved there is no more substance in Bernie Sanders than there is in Trump. Lots of bluster, literally no understanding of policy or specifics.

Simply put, Bernie Sanders has no idea HOW to do the things he's promising to do. And he admitted it.

That's bad.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
There's definitely been some pushback from various places about how Sanders really came across in that interview.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/07/upsho...banks.html?_r=0

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie...4b0a506064d8df5

That's putting a lot of words in his mouth that he didn't say.

Was listening to Rush Limbaugh in the car and he said exactly what I said recently!! He laughed and said, "Bernie has won, what six of the last seven? Five of the last six?" and all you hear from the media is how Hillary is about to wrap it up. The media is hilarious. The story should be Bernie kicking her ass of late and nothing. My gosh ... why does the media want her in office so badly? They refuse to give Bernie his due.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
Was listening to Rush Limbaugh in the car and he said exactly what I said recently!! He laughed and said, "Bernie has won, what six of the last seven? Five of the last six?" and all you hear from the media is how Hillary is about to wrap it up. The media is hilarious. The story should be Bernie kicking her ass of late and nothing. My gosh ... why does the media want her in office so badly? They refuse to give Bernie his due.

Because he has no chance. He's not winning. Hillary will receive the nomination.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 08:50 PM)
Because he has no chance. He's not winning. Hillary will receive the nomination.

The man is on fire of late, has won six of seven primaries and gets no press. It's cause the media doesn't want New York to get any ideas and vote for him. I just don't understand why the media prefers one candidate so much, especially somebody as blah (at best, IMO) as Hillary Clinton. Our country can do so much better. At least be fair and give Bernie his props for kicking her ass of late in the primaries/caucuses.

Asked about Bernie, Geraldo Rivera laughed and said, "He'll find out in New York what people think of him." It's just B.S.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 04:11 PM)
The man is on fire of late, has won six of seven primaries and gets no press. It's cause the media doesn't want New York to get any ideas and vote for him. I just don't understand why the media prefers one candidate so much, especially somebody as blah (at best, IMO) as Hillary Clinton. Our country can do so much better. At least be fair and give Bernie his props for kicking her ass of late in the primaries/caucuses.

Asked about Bernie, Geraldo Rivera laughed and said, "He'll find out in New York what people think of him." It's just B.S.

If somehow he wins New York, than everyone will talk about him. I don't think it will happen though.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)

NBC nightly news lead off with a story about Bernie and Cruz Wisconsin wins. It's all over the media.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 7, 2016 -> 02:51 AM)

That article was horrible. It basically said if you don't like Hillary you are a sexist person. Wrong. She is unlikeable not because she is a woman and powerful women are often despised (the article said it not me). She is unlikeable for many many reasons you've heard me utter before.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 6, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)

The mere fact that Rush Limbaugh wants Hillary to lose should tell you a lot, Greg.