2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 20, 2016 -> 08:30 PM)
How the individual party decides to select their candidate should be their choice. You are making the choice to disenfranchise yourself by not following the rules the party voluntarily put in place. There are no constitutional requirements for primaries.

You can continue to deny seeing the logic, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

In the current setup? Sure. It's just that some of us don't like the current setup.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the current setup? Sure. It's just that some of us don't like the current setup.

It's just so weird that three different entities play a major role in the process. The parties' national committees determine how many regular delegates and super delegates each state gets. The state governments determine when voting will occur, and the state party committees determine how to award the delegates within each state. That's what seems so messed up to me.

On another note, Bernie has started running TV commercials in my market (Louisville/S. Indiana). None of the other candidates yet.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
It's just so weird that three different entities play a major role in the process. The parties' national committees determine how many regular delegates and super delegates each state gets. The state governments determine when voting will occur, and the state party committees determine how to award the delegates within each state. That's what seems so messed up to me.

On another note, Bernie has started running TV commercials in my market (Louisville/S. Indiana). None of the other candidates yet.

He's gotta blow all those poor peoples' money somehow.

Nope. The Dem side is pretty standard, but that GOP side is just s***balls crazy.

The Democratic candidates themselves have been fairly restrained, but their supporters are going at it pretty hard.

The GOP has a golden opportunity here if they would wake up and nominate Kasich. Bernie's supporters have an extremely high level of hatred for Hillary, and despite Kasich not really being close to Bernie ideologically, they seem willing to vote for him over Hillary.

Oh my God stop with the Kasich stuff please. He's such a horrific candidate he's being funded by the left to try and win the nomination.

Why would the left be behind the one guy who can actually beat a Democrat? Doesn't make sense. The left should be all behind Trump because that assures a Democratic win in November.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
Why would the left be behind the one guy who can actually beat a Democrat? Doesn't make sense. The left should be all behind Trump because that assures a Democratic win in November.

What has Kasich shown to be able to beat anyone? Absolutely nothing. Donations from the left are literally the only thing keeping his campaign in play. Theres no reason for him to still be here.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)
The Democratic candidates themselves have been fairly restrained, but their supporters are going at it pretty hard.

The GOP has a golden opportunity here if they would wake up and nominate Kasich. Bernie's supporters have an extremely high level of hatred for Hillary, and despite Kasich not really being close to Bernie ideologically, they seem willing to vote for him over Hillary.

I will absolutely will not vote for Hilary but if Trump or Cruz are the nominee, I'm staying home lol.

I will absolutely will not vote for Hilary but if Trump or Cruz are the nominee, I'm staying home lol.

Pretty clearly you're not alone. Of course, instead of staying home, you could vote for the Libertarian candidate. Getting a 3rd party candidate up near 10% might get some attention.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
Pretty clearly you're not alone. Of course, instead of staying home, you could vote for the Libertarian candidate. Getting a 3rd party candidate up near 10% might get some attention.

Sounds like a good idea.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)

With a lunatic like Trump in the election, Gary Johnson could get 5-10%. Personally, I might go that way only because my vote as a "Texas liberal" doesn't matter, because red state.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 10:17 PM)
With a lunatic like Trump in the election, Gary Johnson could get 5-10%. Personally, I might go that way only because my vote as a "Texas liberal" doesn't matter, because red state.

In the general election, I am almost certainly voting Libertarian.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 06:04 PM)
If the general is Trump vs Hillary, I would bet money on Johnson (if he is indeed the Libertarian nominee) gets at least 5%.

I'd take that bet. 5% is a lot.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 23, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
Oh my God stop with the Kasich stuff please. He's such a horrific candidate he's being funded by the left to try and win the nomination.

It's funny to me when a Trump supporter calls another candidate horrific.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
In the general election, I am almost certainly voting Libertarian.

I most likely am too. I actually align pretty well with the part ideology anyways, but I also can't see myself voting for Trump (or Cruz) or Hillary. And I live in NY, so it's going blue regardless.

Y'all voting Libertarian like bridges and roads, right? I've never quite understood the logistical realities of the Libertarian movement, and as such always just attributed it to being supported by easily manipulated young people who loved Ron Paul, and "get off my lawn" old people. :P

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 08:05 AM)
It's funny to me when a Trump supporter calls another candidate horrific.

I most likely am too. I actually align pretty well with the part ideology anyways, but I also can't see myself voting for Trump (or Cruz) or Hillary. And I live in NY, so it's going blue regardless.

Kasich's problem is that he is too smart and moderate for this election. He can't get any traction because he doesn't speak in meme's, which have become the standard currency for this election cycle. It is amazing how short of an information span that people have gotten down to now. It used to be that people listened to hours of entire speeches to get an impression of a candidate. Now if it doesn't fit on a cute picture, America doesn't have time for it. So we get Bernie, Hillary, Trump, and Cruz as a final four.

This country is getting the hot mess it deserves. Maybe one of these days it will put more effort into the Presidential election than it does fan fiction for its favorite show.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)
Y'all voting Libertarian like bridges and roads, right? I've never quite understood the logistical realities of the Libertarian movement, and as such always just attributed it to being supported by easily manipulated young people who loved Ron Paul, and "get off my lawn" old people. :P

"f*** you, I got mine"

When you dig into the ideological libertarianism from guys like walter block, rothbard, Rockwell, Hans Hermann hoppe etc it gets nutty pretty quickly. But I'd say most people voting for the LP don't go down that rabbit hole.