2016 Republican Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 07:48 PM)
Most of those would go to private banks, but regardless, any kind of study would be nice, even if it was to just one category or another of the overall picture (IE, just TIF money, or just tax abatements, etc.)

Honestly if someone did the research, it could be one of the most damning things that could be done to his campaign.

Really?

I feel like you're playing by rules that either never applied or at least don't apply today, where people would get called out for saying things that are completely made up, and still imagining that the Republican Party is a "small government, business minded" party in touch with reality, and I don't think that describes where his support has come from at all.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 06:56 PM)
Really?

I feel like you're playing by rules that either never applied or at least don't apply today, where people would get called out for saying things that are completely made up, and still imagining that the Republican Party is a "small government, business minded" party in touch with reality, and I don't think that describes where his support has come from at all.

And there goes any real discussion. I am more interested in the numbers than this crap.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
I'm a pretty religious person and I've never been able to find in the Bible 1) that interracial marriage is sinful and 2) even if it is sinful, that it's OK to treat sinners that way. I'm pretty sure Jesus related to sinners very differently.

It's gotta be in there somewhere right? I remember some white mother lecturing me about when I was a kid that God doesn't want races mixing. It's why we were all scattered after the tower of babel.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-...-race/82584514/

Trump and Cruz got a combined 83.6% of the vote in the Mississippi Republican Primary. It's probably not ridiculous to assume that most, if not all, the members of his church, community and his mother-in-law who "don't allow that black and white shacking" are Trump or Cruz supporters. These are the kinds of attitudes that these two are appealing to.

Oh man. We're so far down the list of ridiculous trump attacks we have to bring up stories about supporters we don't even know who are supporters and then apply bulls*** stats on top of them. Amazing. 11% of that county voted for Trump and Cruz combined.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 07:22 PM)
And there goes any real discussion. I am more interested in the numbers than this crap.

I'm interested in the numbers too. But I think Balta has a point re: your statement that it would be the most damning thing. The guy has called to ban an entire class of people from this country and has advocated for war crimes, not to mention wanting to punish women who get abortions. I don't think these numbers would make any sort of dent at all.

Even if you come at it from the angle that the people voting for him may love to bomb the families of terrorists, but not if he gets gobs of money from the government...I just think they simply won't care.

But seriously, I want to know what those numbers would be as well. They must be massive.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 07:34 PM)
I'm interested in the numbers too. But I think Balta has a point re: your statement that it would be the most damning thing. The guy has called to ban an entire class of people from this country and has advocated for war crimes, not to mention wanting to punish women who get abortions. I don't think these numbers would make any sort of dent at all.

Even if you come at it from the angle that the people voting for him may love to bomb the families of terrorists, but not if he gets gobs of money from the government...I just think they simply won't care.

But seriously, I want to know what those numbers would be as well. They must be massive.

I completely disagree with Trumps politics regarding abortions, but the people who keep trying to push the narrative that Trump said he wants to punish all women who get abortions are ridiculous. He was asked "If abortions were illegal?" It was just a gotcha question by Anderson Cooper so the masses of people who get their news from Gawker have something to tell their friends.

It's gotta be in there somewhere right? I remember some white mother lecturing me about when I was a kid that God doesn't want races mixing. It's why we were all scattered after the tower of babel.

That's languages. Interracial marriages are fine so long as you speak the same language.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 07:44 PM)
I completely disagree with Trumps politics regarding abortions, but the people who keep trying to push the narrative that Trump said he wants to punish all women who get abortions are ridiculous. He was asked "If abortions were illegal?" It was just a gotcha question by Anderson Cooper so the masses of people who get their news from Gawker have something to tell their friends.

It wasn't a gotcha question. He was asked if abortions should be illegal, said yes, and was then asked if women should be punished. It's very clearly implied in that second question that abortions would be illegal in that scenario. It was also Chris Matthews.

He said abortions should be illegal, volunteered that he's okay with that leading to back alley abortions, and that women who got abortions in that world should be criminally punished. He's since changed his mind four or five times, but it was a straight answer to a simple question.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 05:51 PM)
My name is Chisoxfn and I am no longer a registered republican (as of yesterday). I will not associate myself with a party that would allow Trump to be the leading nominee.

Don't blame you, especially when Kasich would win it all if he was the nominee. Weird.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/04/04/wa...gnorance-video/

“In all of my years as an economist, which is roughly 50 years, I’ve never seen such nonsense as we just heard from Mr. Trump. And it breaks my heart, it makes me want to cry because I’m Republican, I’ve never voted for a Democrat, and to think the guy who’s our likely standard bearer has such nonsensical ideas on every single aspect of the economy is just breathtakingly horrible.”

“You know, I don’t know what goes on in his head. He’s a force of nature. I don’t know what goes on in his head. But it’s frightening that he has no economist advisers. Carl Icahn, a very smart guy on Wall Street who’s made a great deal of money. Steve Wynn who runs the best hotels in Las Vegas. But as far as economic advisers, as far as I can tell, he doesn’t have any and he desperately needs some. The things he’s saying are wacky as wacky can be. Just off the charts.”

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
He sounds like me, lol. The summary doesn't do justice to the actual clip of Ben Stein (who I happen to like a lot).

I have always followed Stein, and this just makes me feel better about having done so historically.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
Don't blame you, especially when Kasich would win it all if he was the nominee. Weird.

What does this nonsense even mean, the guy isn't even in SECOND in his own party. You think if he got the nomination all the sudden this wave of support would come out and give him the White House? You should stick to your Chelsea Clinton thoughts

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
What does this nonsense even mean, the guy isn't even in SECOND in his own party. You think if he got the nomination all the sudden this wave of support would come out and give him the White House? You should stick to your Chelsea Clinton thoughts

Whether people ultimately would get behind him or not, I do not know, but polls support Greg's statement. He beats Hillary in every poll I've seen (could be one or two out there that I'm not aware of where he doesn't by some slim margin).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 06:56 PM)

That's not just greg. It's a lot of people in this thread that cannot grasp John Kasich is in 4th right now and there's only 3 people left in the race.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 07:00 PM)
Whether people ultimately would get behind him or not, I do not know, but polls support Greg's statement. He beats Hillary in every poll I've seen (could be one or two out there that I'm not aware of where he doesn't by some slim margin).

It makes zero sense. This is like saying "this team that was left out of the ncaa tourney could have won it all". If they could have won it all, they would have been in the tournament

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 07:16 PM)
It makes zero sense. This is like saying "this team that was left out of the ncaa tourney could have won it all". If they could have won it all, they would have been in the tournament

Well...

1. I don't think Kasich wins a general. But...

2. This analogy doesn't work. A general election is vastly different than a primary. The candidate that does best in a party primary is not necessarily who will do best in a general election.

I've seen the polls but get what Kyle is saying. Seems like the projection has a lot of intangibles involved more than just polling districts.

Doesn't matter cuz he won't get the chance.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 07:02 PM)
That's not just greg. It's a lot of people in this thread that cannot grasp John Kasich is in 4th right now and there's only 3 people left in the race.

There are plenty of people in them middle (like me) who won't show up for an election with Trump or Cruz at the top, that would for someone like Kasich. There is also some middle ground that could be taken from the left there as well.

Kasich would be the candidate I'd be the most afraid of as a Democrat. He'd make Ohio much more difficult to win for Democrats, and he could appeal to a lot of people in the middle.

That being said, with 50 years of a more transparent election process, coming out of a contested convention a sudden nominee would really damage his chances of turning out the base.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 5, 2016 -> 08:29 PM)
I've seen the polls but get what Kyle is saying. Seems like the projection has a lot of intangibles involved more than just polling districts.

Doesn't matter cuz he won't get the chance.

National polls are so meaningless right now. I've said it over and over in this thread. Reagan never won a national poll til May yet won 44 states, Romney and McCain were winning in Mayish yet both got destroyed etc. But really these national polls are even more meaningless when they involve Kasich. People can be loud on hating on Trump all they want, that's fine. What they can't deny is the reality of him bringing out new voters in droves. Turnout is being absolutely shattered for the Republican party across the board in large thanks to Trump and in no part thanks to Kasich. So why does that matter for these national polls? They're done among likely voters in the election. The problem is they're being done at the same time as Trump vs Clinton, Sanders vs Cruz, Sanders vs Trump etc. Theres a massive fault in thinking that the general turnout will look even remotely the same across depending on who the nominee is.