2016 Republican Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having the deadline to update party enrollment more than 6 months before the primary is just absolutely ridiculous. Bernie will probably lose New York for that reason alone.

I can see both sides of the argument. I consider myself a right-leaning Independent and not really a Republican, but I generally vote in the Republican primary. In 2008, because the Democratic contest was still undecided by the time the Indiana Primary came around, I took advantage of Indiana's Open Primary rules and voted in the Democratic primary for the sole purpose of voting against Hillary. Depending on how things shake out in both races in the next three weeks, I may do the same again this year. I think the Democratic party can make a valid claim that I really shouldn't have a voice in their nomination process, since in both cases there was/is zero chance I'm actually voting for their nominee in November. If I had to make up my mind six months ago, I would have registered for the Republican primary.

Now, if you want to make the case that there should be a later deadline for people who aren't already registered with either party, I'm on board with that, but I don't think setting a six month deadline for people who are already registered with one of the parties to switch is unreasonable.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
Having the deadline to update party enrollment more than 6 months before the primary is just absolutely ridiculous. Bernie will probably lose New York for that reason alone.

And the fact that his poll numbers are dropping...

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
I can see both sides of the argument. I consider myself a right-leaning Independent and not really a Republican, but I generally vote in the Republican primary. In 2008, because the Democratic contest was still undecided by the time the Indiana Primary came around, I took advantage of Indiana's Open Primary rules and voted in the Democratic primary for the sole purpose of voting against Hillary. Depending on how things shake out in both races in the next three weeks, I may do the same again this year. I think the Democratic party can make a valid claim that I really shouldn't have a voice in their nomination process, since in both cases there was/is zero chance I'm actually voting for their nominee in November. If I had to make up my mind six months ago, I would have registered for the Republican primary.

Now, if you want to make the case that there should be a later deadline for people who aren't already registered with either party, I'm on board with that, but I don't think setting a six month deadline for people who are already registered with one of the parties to switch is unreasonable.

This is dangerous territory, but this die hard liberal agrees with you. :ph34r:

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)

I think this is a valid argument for having closed primaries. My concern is not so much over closed primaries, it's just over the fact that voters had to decide by October whether or not they wanted to switch parties. That is way too early on in the election to force people to make up their minds.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
And the fact that his poll numbers are dropping...

Well that is completely and utterly false. Early on Clinton held leads in New York by between 20 and 40 points. The latest polls show those leads down to 10 to 18 points. Nationwide they are in a virtual tie with Clinton ahead a point or two in some polls and Bernie ahead a point or two in others but almost all within the margin of error.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
Yeah, that's the reason

27% of New York voters are not registered as Democrat or Republican and are therefore not allowed to vote in the primary. Bernie dominates Hillary among Independents. In a race that Hillary will win by probably around 10 points that could be the difference.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
Indiana you get to declare your party at the polling place on Primary Election day. Why does NY state need six months advanced notice?

New York is just another screwy liberal s***hole.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 12:00 AM)
Even though it's usually GOP that use voter suppression? Come on. At least be consistent.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)
Eh, I don't necessarily agree. Pure popular vote is the reason Trump is doing so well. There need to be checks and balances on the idiocy of the American public :P

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 12, 2016 -> 07:01 PM)
This town hall was a great idea for Trump. He needs to drag out his family more if they're willing. Ivanka in particular. She's a very impressive person and I assume she'll become a bigger part of the campaign now that she had her child.

I do agree his family is pretty normal (for being billionaires) and Ivanka is impressive. All of them are pretty articulate people and seem like good kids / adults.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
I do agree his family is pretty normal (for being billionaires) and Ivanka is impressive. All of them are pretty articulate people and seem like good kids / adults.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draf...s&smtyp=cur

Good NYT article on Ivanka stealing the show. She should become one of the true stars of this election season. Too bad for the Republicans having a falling out with Trump, as Ivanka is someone they could probably groom longterm in the party if she chose that path.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)
Reddy is going to need some aloe for that burn.

Nowhere did I say I didn't support certain amounts of voter suppression... I was commenting on pettie's inconsistencies and attacking it for being a "liberal s*** hole"

#readingcomprehensionFTW

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 13, 2016 -> 09:45 PM)
Nowhere did I say I didn't support certain amounts of voter suppression... I was commenting on pettie's inconsistencies and attacking it for being a "liberal s*** hole"

#readingcomprehensionFTW

What inconsistencies? That was my first comment about NY being screwed up.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 02:17 PM)
What inconsistencies? That was my first comment about NY being screwed up.

Criticizing a state's liberal leanings for why it suppresses voting is...... inconsistent with reality. ;)

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
Criticizing a state's liberal leanings for why it suppresses voting is...... inconsistent with reality. ;)

Fair enough, I shouldn't have put the liberal tag on it; probably better to say corrupt and inept then anything else.

Voting should not be rocket science and yet this 6 month rule is screwy as hell. People should just vote these hoops are just trying to make things more complicated than a blind man putting on make up.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
Fair enough, I shouldn't have put the liberal tag on it; probably better to say corrupt and inept then anything else.

Voting should not be rocket science and yet this 6 month rule is screwy as hell. People should just vote these hoops are just trying to make things more complicated than a blind man putting on make up.

I don't think forcing people to register ahead of time is a big deal. And I think voting is something people should have to put effort into. The easier you make it, the dumber the electorate, and the more Trumps you end up with. ;)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 14, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
I don't think forcing people to register ahead of time is a big deal. And I think voting is something people should have to put effort into. The easier you make it, the dumber the electorate, and the more Trumps you end up with. ;)

Kind of like how everyone should pull themselves up by their bootstraps.