2016 Republican Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 08:56 AM)
I heard my first campaign commercial here in Indiana. It pretty much said that if you don't like Trump, don't waste a vote for Kasich, because he has no chance to win, and to vote for Cruz.

Boy, if that isn't a resounding pile of pathetic, I don't know what is. I shouldn't vote for a guy because of who he is, I should vote for a guy because of who he isn't. This is the damned Presidential race, and I should be picking a guy for no other reason, than who he isn't? Boy, great standards there.

Well, the steaming pile of crap candidates for both parties this year have basically made that the case unfortunately. It's basically who do you despise the least?

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 07:56 AM)
I heard my first campaign commercial here in Indiana. It pretty much said that if you don't like Trump, don't waste a vote for Kasich, because he has no chance to win, and to vote for Cruz.

Boy, if that isn't a resounding pile of pathetic, I don't know what is. I shouldn't vote for a guy because of who he is, I should vote for a guy because of who he isn't. This is the damned Presidential race, and I should be picking a guy for no other reason, than who he isn't? Boy, great standards there.

Kasich doesn't even want you to vote for Kasich in Indiana.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 08:03 AM)
Kasich doesn't even want you to vote for Kasich in Indiana.

If the story about turning over his delegates to Cruz is true, I won't vote for him anyway. But that has more to do with Cruz, than Kasich.

If the story about turning over his delegates to Cruz is true, I won't vote for him anyway. But that has more to do with Cruz, than Kasich.

I've been planning to vote for Kasich all along. If there weren't downticket races on the Republican side that I had major interest in, this news might be enough to get me to switch over to the Dem primary and vote for Bernie.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)
Well, the steaming pile of crap candidates for both parties this year have basically made that the case unfortunately. It's basically who do you despise the least?

I actually don't despise Sanders, or Kasich. But Sanders' policies are just untenable and I think he's going to have a very, very hard time working with Congress (not that anyone is going to do very well with them anyway). Kasich has some appeal, but I have had a rising fear about his abilities around foreign policy.

Trump, and to lesser but still large extents Cruz and Clinton, I certainly despise.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
I actually don't despise Sanders, or Kasich. But Sanders' policies are just untenable and I think he's going to have a very, very hard time working with Congress (not that anyone is going to do very well with them anyway). Kasich has some appeal, but I have had a rising fear about his abilities around foreign policy.

Trump, and to lesser but still large extents Cruz and Clinton, I certainly despise.

Can't we dispell this myth of Kasich being a moderate please?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
Can't we dispell this myth of Kasich being a moderate please?

I agree in terms of the general and historic trendlines, he's pretty far right. Just not as far-right as Cruz (no candidate in decades has been), and really, who even knows with Trump.

Not sure why you replied to me on that though? I never said anything about moderate.

If I had money to put on it, I think what you just saw happen was a grand bargain. Cruz and Kasich made a deal for Kasich to be the VP on his ticket if he can beat Trump for the nomination. I know it hasn't been said publicly, but it is the one thing that makes sense with these statements.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
I agree in terms of the general and historic trendlines, he's pretty far right. Just not as far-right as Cruz (no candidate in decades has been), and really, who even knows with Trump.

Not sure why you replied to me on that though? I never said anything about moderate.

Saying that you liked Sanders and Kasich led me to believe you viewed him as moderate since that makes little sense in any other context...

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
Saying that you liked Sanders and Kasich led me to believe you viewed him as moderate since that makes little sense in any other context...

Sanders is by no measure a moderate, for one thing. Kasich, as I said, is RELATIVELY moderate for what the GOP has been rolling out the past few cycles. But I don't "despise" either one - I don't consider that to be about policy points, at least not purely.

Sanders is by no measure a moderate, for one thing. Kasich, as I said, is RELATIVELY moderate for what the GOP has been rolling out the past few cycles. But I don't "despise" either one - I don't consider that to be about policy points, at least not purely.

Yeah, on the Democratic side, I'm far closer politically to Hillary than Bernie, but with Hillary's past I don't trust her and could never vote for her. Also, I recognize that Bernie's farthest left ideas will never get by Congress so that makes me more willing to consider him.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
I'd vote for Mitt Romney. He should just jump in the race at this point.

I'd take any of the three candidates from the last 2 generals (Obama, Romney, McCain) over ANY of the current candidates, if given that choice. This is a horrible field.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
I'd take any of the three candidates from the last 2 generals (Obama, Romney, McCain) over ANY of the current candidates, if given that choice. This is a horrible field.

Haha yep McCain too. I'd vote for him as well.

I think people saw the last 8 years and probably don't want to deal with this inept ass congress.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
Yeah, on the Democratic side, I'm far closer politically to Hillary than Bernie, but with Hillary's past I don't trust her and could never vote for her. Also, I recognize that Bernie's farthest left ideas will never get by Congress so that makes me more willing to consider him.

My thing is... whom do you trust MORE than her out of our current crop of candidates? They're all pretty f***ing awful in that department :P

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)

Obviously Sanders isn't a moderate, which is why I was assuming you thought Kasich was, since that would put him closer to Bernie ideologically. But since you said it's about personality over policy, then it's a moot point.

They're both pretty douchey, so I guess that's a fair comparison. :P

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
My thing is... whom do you trust MORE than her out of our current crop of candidates? They're all pretty f***ing awful in that department :P

In terms of trust in what they say? I think Trump and Hillary are the clear bottom, and the rest of the field is a long way better. It isn't even particularly close either. In my eyes, I might even rate Hillary the worst.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
In terms of trust in what they say? I think Trump and Hillary are the clear bottom, and the rest of the field is a long way better. It isn't even particularly close either. In my eyes, I might even rate Hillary the worst.

Can you back that up, even a tiny bit? Trump has literally SAID that he doesn't mean what he's saying. lol

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)

Agreed.

Hillary is the absolute worst.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
Can you back that up, even a tiny bit? Trump has literally SAID that he doesn't mean what he's saying. lol

Trump is a cartoon character FFS.

A former celebrity trolling the political system.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)

Hillary has quite literally changed her mind on some of her most important votes and policy positions over the years to follow the majority polling. She has no positions or intercompass of her own. Hillary would never be honest enough to tell us that she is lying to us.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
Hillary has quite literally changed her mind on some of her most important votes and policy positions over the years to follow the majority polling. She has no positions or intercompass of her own. Hillary would ever be honest enough to tell us that she is lying to us.

This is the part where I talk about systemic misogyny and not being allowed to have non-mainstream positions for fear of not being taken seriously back in the 90s and first half of the 2000s, but I assume that'll fall on deaf ears.

She was called "too liberal" in the 90s, and now she's "a republican", even though her stances on policy have become more progressive. Nothing about the public's perception, and her actual record, jive in the least.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
This is the part where I talk about systemic misogyny and not being allowed to have non-mainstream positions for fear of not being taken seriously back in the 90s and first half of the 2000s, but I assume that'll fall on deaf ears.

She was called "too liberal" in the 90s, and now she's "a republican", even though her stances on policy have become more progressive. Nothing about the public's perception, and her actual record, jive in the least.

Oh bulls***. Bill Clinton falls into the same category and he is not a female. This entire post is an attempt to excuse a pathological lack of convictions on TeamClinton.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
Oh bulls***. Bill Clinton falls into the same category and he is not a female. This entire post is an attempt to excuse a pathological lack of convictions on TeamClinton.

Nope. But that's the reaction I was expecting. How does Bill fall into the same category? Are they not allowed to become more progressive over time, ya know, the way Obama has? And ALL democrats have? Come on.