2016 Republican Thread

southsider2k5

And for the next time anyone wants to say that its only Donald Trump who doesn't respect "sub-groups" and that it's totally not something their party would tolerate for decades, folks I give you Steve King (R-IA). This text is from the Washington Post but they won't let me insert a link, here's one with a video clip.

"If you're really optimistic, you can say that this is the last time that old white people will command the Republican Party's attention, its platform, its public face," Pierce said. "That hall is wired," he continued. "That hall is wired by loud, unhappy, dissatisfied white people."

King objected.

"This 'old white people' business does get a little tired, Charlie," King said. "I'd ask you to go back through history and figure out, where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you're talking about, where did any other subgroup of people contribute more to civilization?"

"Than white people?" Hayes asked, clearly amazed.

"Than, than Western civilization itself," King replied. "It's rooted in Western Europe, Eastern Europe and the United States of America and every place where the footprint of Christianity settled the world. That's all of Western civilization."

The other panelists objected, with Hayes trying to keep the peace. Panelist April Ryan, who is black, asked, "What about Asia? What about Africa?"

"We're not going to argue the history of Western civilization," Hayes said. "Let me note for the record that if you're looking at the ledger of Western civilization, for every flourishing democracy, you have Hitler and Stalin as well."

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 07:33 AM)
Plus it's now abundantly clear that two paragraphs of that speech were stolen from Michelle Obama's 2008 speech.

At any rate, Ivanka will blow everyone out of the water Thursday. Tiffany, not so much.

Where was Biden when speech was written???

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/melani...n2dunmnemavpldi

Trump spokeswoman Katrina Pierson also rejected the idea that there was plagiarism, telling The Hill, “These are values ― Republican values, by the way ― of hard work, determination, family values, dedication and respect, and that’s Melania Trump. This concept that Michelle Obama invented the English language is absurd.

This excuse was plagiarized from every high school student who has ever been caught.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
Love all the libs getting their panties in a bunch abou this...Butch lies under oath...nothing to see here...God help this country...I want him to win just to watch all you guys piss and moan for 4 years..

Congrats on open misogyny.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
Love all the libs getting their panties in a bunch abou this...Butch lies under oath...nothing to see here...God help this country...I want him to win just to watch all you guys piss and moan for 4 years..

Any TV show that talks politics would be unbearable. It already is now and he's just the nominee.

edit: they all find the smallest thing to b**** about, just like this speech issue. Yes, it was dumb, yes, it was lazy speech writing. But i'm confident if you go back and reread/watch speeches you'll find Obama and Hillary and everyone else using similar platitudes. This was just slightly more egregious than normal.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)
Any TV show that talks politics would be unbearable. It already is now and he's just the nominee.

edit: they all find the smallest thing to b**** about, just like this speech issue. Yes, it was dumb, yes, it was lazy speech writing. But i'm confident if you go back and reread/watch speeches you'll find Obama and Hillary and everyone else using similar platitudes. This was just slightly more egregious than normal.

Yeah, the speech plagiarism it's a relatively small, stupid thing. It's the response that's so amusing. Any other campaign would have passed the blame on some schmuck staffer and moved along. The Trump campaign is telling everyone that the thing right in front of all our faces doesn't even exist.

It's like someone bumping into you on the sidewalk. You expect an "oops, sorry 'bout that", but instead it's "I never bumped into you! That's totally ludicrous! And you're a jerk for saying I did."

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)

You're a riot at parties, aren't you?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
Yeah, the speech plagiarism it's a relatively small, stupid thing. It's the response that's so amusing. Any other campaign would have passed the blame on some schmuck staffer and moved along. The Trump campaign is telling everyone that the thing right in front of all our faces doesn't even exist.

It's like someone bumping into you on the sidewalk. You expect an "oops, sorry 'bout that", but instead it's "I never bumped into you! That's totally ludicrous! And you're a jerk for saying I did."

It only takes a couple years of using writing assignments in college to have that response happen. Hell I get it for the outreach page I write for and that's totally volunteer so I have no idea why people do it for that. You'll get some who are apologetic, some who either legitimately or not suggest they didn't understand it was a problem, but then you'll get the people who deny it even when caught red handed. The latter is somewhat bizarre, but it exists.

I have to say this is quite offensive.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)

It's the cover up, not the crime. It wouldnt have been that big of a deal if they just owned up to borrowing some of the ideas. The problem is that they refuse to admit the mistake. If they cant admit to something so small and trivial, what will they do if there is a mistake about something that is actually important. Will they brush it off, will they act like everyone else in the world is wrong?

I am pretty sure that 99.9% of the world has made a mistake, done something stupid, etc. Its not the mistake that defines a person, its what they do after.

You don't think Trump will get re-elected?

Finally attempted to put to bed the controversy over Melania's speech after 36 hours of the convention were wasted.

Funny moment was Trump's plane buzzing Cruz's speech and interrupting it, whether intentional or not.

Lots of commentary about what the heck Kasich is doing sitting the convention out in his home state and whether or not Cruz will give a tepid endorsement of Trump or not tonight.

Gingrich claimed there was going to be a huge surprise endorsement from out of nowhere.

Eric Trump will try to outdo his brother....don't think he has the charisma to pull it off, especially since his speech is more geared towards convincing voters between the choice of his father and Hillary.

LOL at Jeff Flake saying Christie was going too far with the "lock her up/guilty/prosecturial" gag last night.