2016 Republican Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)
Nate Silver tweeted Trump will win the primary, and has a very good chance at actually becoming President.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/704324162639290368

Not what he said. Said probably the nominee, could be President.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)
I'm suddenly reminded of a steady stream of articles from Silver about how there was no way Trump would ever win the nomination.

He's still saying he likely doesn't win the Presidency in his articles. But he's now saying he's got a good shot at the nomination.

It is all too little too late. If they attacked Trump like they did last week a month ago, and than had the time and opportunity to continue to attack him, Trump would be gone. He's going to win everything but Texas on Super Tuesday and that is the best possible outcome for him. It keeps Cruz in (we know Kasich is staying) and Rubio isn't going to back out. Its done. Pending some total shocker tomorrow, Trump is the nominee, you can't sell me on any other alternative (unless of course Trump takes Texas).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)
Not what he said. Said probably the nominee, could be President.

He's still saying he likely doesn't win the Presidency in his articles. But he's now saying he's got a good shot at the nomination.

Whatever, Mr. Technical. ;)

Those Rubio / Kasich / Cruz superpacs better put some money together to get the quotes of Trump related to KKK (back in 2009), his absurd comments this weekend, and than his I didn't have a mic (when he clearly responded to the answers by saying david duke's name).

Im not a huge Trump fan but the David Duke stuff is beyond ridiculous. Now you have Rubio saying things like "Look how small his hands are, and you know what they say about guys with small hands..." Ted Cruz saying hes involved with the mafia. Its funny (and kind of sad) watching these guys sinking to Trumps level out of desperation. Every media outlet and good old boy republican has been attacking him nonstop for days and he just keeps climbing in the polls.

It might not help him with the base republicans but some of the stuff he said in the last debate will likely help him with undecideds. He was defending planned parenthood and saying they do great things to help women, and then was getting attacked by Cruz for saying if he was President nobody would die in the streets because they couldnt afford health insurance . Cruz then accused him of "wanting free healthcare for everyone." Its just mind blowing how dumb Rubio and Cruz are.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 04:25 PM)
Im not a huge Trump fan but the David Duke stuff is beyond ridiculous. Now you have Rubio saying things like "Look how small his hands are, and you know what they say about guys with small hands..." Ted Cruz saying hes involved with the mafia. Its funny (and kind of sad) watching these guys sinking to Trumps level out of desperation. Every media outlet and good old boy republican has been attacking him nonstop for days and he just keeps climbing in the polls.

It might not help him with the base republicans but some of the stuff he said in the last debate will likely help him with undecideds. He was defending planned parenthood and saying they do great things to help women, and then was getting attacked by Cruz for saying if he was President nobody would die in the streets because they couldnt afford health insurance . Cruz then accused him of "wanting free healthcare for everyone." Its just mind blowing how dumb Rubio and Cruz are.

I don't really think it would be that hard for him to make a bold statement. He did so back in 2009 and now he is just grasping at straws for whatever delusional reason he wants to share. The guy is a big fat liar. His first 10 responses when confronted with his lies are lie back or just call the other person a name. Its disgusting. Politics is disgusting and Trump is taking it to a whole nother level. Would anyone want there kids to emulate this sort of behavior? And this is supposed to be the leader of the free world?

I like Ben Carson's common quote of bringing the government back to the people. The essence of what is wrong with this country (and by the way, there is still a hell of a lot right about it) is our current political system and how it works from a campaign funding perspective and the sheer bribery. Look at DC and how much money is made by the government (look at average home prices and you'd think you'd be in silicon valley not the government).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)
I don't really think it would be that hard for him to make a bold statement. He did so back in 2009 and now he is just grasping at straws for whatever delusional reason he wants to share. The guy is a big fat liar. His first 10 responses when confronted with his lies are lie back or just call the other person a name. Its disgusting. Politics is disgusting and Trump is taking it to a whole nother level. Would anyone want there kids to emulate this sort of behavior? And this is supposed to be the leader of the free world?

I like Ben Carson's common quote of bringing the government back to the people. The essence of what is wrong with this country (and by the way, there is still a hell of a lot right about it) is our current political system and how it works from a campaign funding perspective and the sheer bribery. Look at DC and how much money is made by the government (look at average home prices and you'd think you'd be in silicon valley not the government).

Ya I totally agree about campaign funding. Also, I didnt want my post to sound like me coming off as a Trump supporter, it was more venting about how terribly I think Cruz and Rubio have handled this circus. I cant imagine how bad we look to the rest of the world right now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 06:39 PM)

He very clearly said I disavow David Duke on Friday, the very first time he was asked about it. It's absolutely ridiculous anyone, in particular the media, expects him to comment every single interview, especially when the guy didn't even endorse Trump to begin with.

Speaking of money in politics, it's amazing all this desperation to attack. Shows where the money is, and it's not with trump. Thankfully the general populace isn't buying what the media is selling. He gets stronger with all of it.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 06:25 PM)

This is the stupid crap that has worked for Trump all along. I am kind of surprised HIllary hasn't tried it yet too.

Where's the indignation from the "religious right/Moral Majority" on these issues like Planned Parenthood and numerous issues where he's taken liberal positions in the last year or even last decade...even his Christianity has been constantly questioned, but that line of attack from the right seems not to have gotten much traction in recent weeks.

It didn't work for Cruz in South Carolina, that's for sure.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 05:54 AM)
Trump has black students thrown out of his campaign rally.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presid...k-students-from

And no, he hasn't really disavowed David duke of the large number of white supremacists and neo nazis supporting him. In fact he is more likely to retweet neonazi "facts" than he is to disavow them.

" I disavow David Duke". His exact words on Friday when first questioned about it. It's really, really, really grasping at straws here to say otherwise. And again people wonder why he only gains more popular when the bulls*** like this is latched onto.

And what did he say when Jake tapper asked him about it? A bunch of feigned ignorance about white supremacists and who David duke even is and some pathetic excuse about his microphone . It's not grasping at straws when he's refused to clearly distance himself from white supremacists over and over, and specifically in this case backpedalled from his initial disavowal.

It's not bulls***, it's yet another instance perfectly in line with his white nationalism populist campaign. It's been racist since day one, and it's had open, vocal support from white supremacists and neo nazis the whole time.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 06:41 AM)
" I disavow David Duke". His exact words on Friday when first questioned about it. It's really, really, really grasping at straws here to say otherwise. And again people wonder why he only gains more popular when the bulls*** like this is latched onto.

Its not grasping at straws, he was asked directly about it and said "I dont know enough about him" and different variations of that instead of saying he wanted nothing to do with Duke. And it is bulls***, he knew who Duke is, everyone knows who Duke is, it isnt a secret.

If anyone didn't see John Oliver on Donald Trump the other night, it was pretty fantastic:

Makes for good comedy, but anybody who is voting for or even thinking about voting for Trump does not watch John Oliver.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 07:25 AM)
And what did he say when Jake tapper asked him about it? A bunch of feigned ignorance about white supremacists and who David duke even is and some pathetic excuse about his microphone . It's not grasping at straws when he's refused to clearly distance himself from white supremacists over and over, and specifically in this case backpedalled from his initial disavowal.

It's not bulls***, it's yet another instance perfectly in line with his white nationalism populist campaign. It's been racist since day one, and it's had open, vocal support from white supremacists and neo nazis the whole time.

He doesn't want to talk about David Duke at every single interview. Otherwise you're just giving Duke more publicity than he could ever possibly deserve, thanks to the media playing right into it. Thankfully the distrust in American media is extremely high, as it should be, and everyone has seen through the bulls*** except a few.

He clearly disavowed the first time he was asked. That should be enough. Stop giving Duke airwaves. Move on.

The thing that amazes me the most about the support for Trump is that people who like him seem to say some versions of "he tells it like it is" or "he's honest". I mean, how do these people live with that kind of cognitive dissonance? He is, far and away, the least honest candidate in either party in this cycle or any other cycle I can remember. For virtually every talking point and policy suggestion he has, he's been on the opposite side at some point in recent years. He pulls falsehoods out of his ass more often than the rest of both fields combined. How are people this stupid?

And I shouldn't have to say this, but again, it's not a GOP thing. You don't see me saying anything like this about any of the other candidates in either party.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 07:55 AM)
The thing that amazes me the most about the support for Trump is that people who like him seem to say some versions of "he tells it like it is" or "he's honest". I mean, how do these people live with that kind of cognitive dissonance? He is, far and away, the least honest candidate in either party in this cycle or any other cycle I can remember. For virtually every talking point and policy suggestion he has, he's been on the opposite side at some point in recent years. He pulls falsehoods out of his ass more often than the rest of both fields combined. How are people this stupid?

And I shouldn't have to say this, but again, it's not a GOP thing. You don't see me saying anything like this about any of the other candidates in either party.

It comes back to campaign money. Every word from another candidates mouth aside from Bernie is calculated to get more money from someone. Well not someone, rather something. I'd rather have a flip flopper than that. Flipping on your positions can often be more honest than not. Whether that applies to Trump remains to be seen. I still find him more genuine than the rest, aside from Bernie.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 07:48 AM)
He doesn't want to talk about David Duke at every single interview. Otherwise you're just giving Duke more publicity than he could ever possibly deserve, thanks to the media playing right into it. Thankfully the distrust in American media is extremely high, as it should be, and everyone has seen through the bulls*** except a few.

He clearly disavowed the first time he was asked. That should be enough. Stop giving Duke airwaves. Move on.

That's absolutely not the same thing. Trump wasn't saying "move on" or "I've already addressed that"--that would be understandable. He instead changed to "who is this David Duke you speak of??"/"my microphone was bad, I didn't hear the question." He was back-pedaling his disavowal. It's not bulls*** to ask the guy who's had strong support from white nationalists all along (and who had no trouble denouncing David Duke years ago!) if he'll explicitly reject that sort of support a couple of days after it was announced in a one-on-one interview.