2016 Republican Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
I will leave it with this thought.

The two examples we have of the government being involved in health care are medicare and the VA.

Counterpoint. The examples we have of the free market in the health insurance industry is probably worse.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
I will leave it with this thought.

The two examples we have of the government being involved in health care are medicare and the VA.

don't forget the example of "every other developed country in the world to varying degrees"

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 04:34 PM)
Millions having no access to care in the first place is at a minimum no worse.

That is very similar to the VA, seeing as veterans face insane delays for a lot of their care. It is honestly exactly what I would expect to happen in a universal medicare scenario.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
There is nothing worse than the VA system. Nothing. It is an abject disaster.

No access to healthcare because of a pre-existing condition is pretty terrible.

I'm not excusing the VA. It's objectively not good. But the for profit healthcare industry is also objectively bad.

I haven't heard that many complaints about Medicare. Haven't looked into it that much. But all of my older relatives (parents, in-laws, etc.) were pretty excited to get on Medicare because their costs in the private pool were so high.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)

I'm not excusing the VA. It's objectively not good. But the for profit healthcare industry is also objectively bad.

I haven't heard that many complaints about Medicare. Haven't looked into it that much. But all of my older relatives (parents, in-laws, etc.) were pretty excited to get on Medicare because their costs in the private pool were so high.

That isn't a realty anymore. Everyone has the ability to access care, and everyone has the right to have a pre-existing condition covered now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)
That is very similar to the VA, seeing as veterans face insane delays for a lot of their care. It is honestly exactly what I would expect to happen in a universal medicare scenario.

The VA is much closer to an nhs model than a single payer system. In this county, while Medicare and Medicaid aren't perfect, they provide Healthcare to millions of Americans and Medicare in particular is key to minimizing elderly poverty. Plus, we still have the example of literally every other developed country that provides more universal care at cheaper costs and typically better outcomes as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
That isn't a realty anymore. Everyone has the ability to access care, and everyone has the right to have a pre-existing condition covered now.

Not if anyone in the Republican party has their way.

There are still millions without coverage and we still pay much more than every other country for that coverage.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 30, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
A 15 year old girl was pepper sprayed in the face yesterday outside a trump rally after shoving away a man who groped her.

http://local.nixle.com/alert/5615856/

Janesville PD: “We reviewed this video as well as many others and we did not find evidence of a sexual assault. The video does not support evidence of a sexual assault. It does support that a punch was delivered by the 15 yr old….We have referred to Juvenile authorities the 15 year old female for disorderly conduct charges. It could’ve been an assault charge but Mr Crandall didn’t want to pursue those charges. There are no charges regarding Mr. Crandall. He committed no crime.”

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 08:00 PM)
Janesville PD: “We reviewed this video as well as many others and we did not find evidence of a sexual assault. The video does not support evidence of a sexual assault. It does support that a punch was delivered by the 15 yr old….We have referred to Juvenile authorities the 15 year old female for disorderly conduct charges. It could’ve been an assault charge but Mr Crandall didn’t want to pursue those charges. There are no charges regarding Mr. Crandall. He committed no crime.”

Wow. Yeah I believe all of that.

The VA is so beyond incompetent that it needs to be eliminated. Veterans' health care needs to go under HHS and all other veterans' services under DoD.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2016 -> 05:52 PM)

Unless you live in a Republican state that did not expand medicaid and your income level is too low to qualify for the exchanges.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 2, 2016 -> 03:39 AM)
The VA is so beyond incompetent that it needs to be eliminated. Veterans' health care needs to go under HHS and all other veterans' services under DoD.

I think our next President should be the first to attack this issue and get all veterans taken care of and pronto. But that would be an issue that actually helps the people. None of our leaders seem too interested in making all our lives actually better. Trump and Hillary both seem like they have better things to worry about, like uh, themselves and satisfying their huge egos.

This problem is DISGRACEFUL. Take care of our vets for gawd-sakes!!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
I think our next President should be the first to attack this issue and get all veterans taken care of and pronto. But that would be an issue that actually helps the people. None of our leaders seem too interested in making all our lives actually better. Trump and Hillary both seem like they have better things to worry about, like uh, themselves and satisfying their huge egos.

BS would. You have to agree with that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 3, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)

Um, the Democrats in Congress tried to this session. The GOP didn't support the bill.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-...-race/82584514/

A Mississippi RV park owner admits evicting an interracial couple in late February because of the color of the husband's skin.

“Oh, it’s a big problem with the members of my church, my community and my mother-in-law,” she quoted him as saying. “They don’t allow that black and white shacking.”

Trump and Cruz got a combined 83.6% of the vote in the Mississippi Republican Primary. It's probably not ridiculous to assume that most, if not all, the members of his church, community and his mother-in-law who "don't allow that black and white shacking" are Trump or Cruz supporters. These are the kinds of attitudes that these two are appealing to.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-...-race/82584514/

Trump and Cruz got a combined 83.6% of the vote in the Mississippi Republican Primary. It's probably not ridiculous to assume that most, if not all, the members of his church, community and his mother-in-law who "don't allow that black and white shacking" are Trump or Cruz supporters. These are the kinds of attitudes that these two are appealing to.

That's them exercising their religious freedoms or liberties. You know.

That's them exercising their religious freedoms or liberties. You know.

I'm a pretty religious person and I've never been able to find in the Bible 1) that interracial marriage is sinful and 2) even if it is sinful, that it's OK to treat sinners that way. I'm pretty sure Jesus related to sinners very differently.

Out of curiosity, has anyone out there ever totaled up the amount of money that Donald Trump has gotten from our various governmental agencies over the years? Between TIF money, tax abatement, tax forgiveness, low interest loans, etc, it has to be a ridiculous amount of money. I keep hearing about Trump doesn't need the government, but in large part, the government is who moved him from rich to ultra-rich.

Does the research exist?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 06:42 PM)
Out of curiosity, has anyone out there ever totaled up the amount of money that Donald Trump has gotten from our various governmental agencies over the years? Between TIF money, tax abatement, tax forgiveness, low interest loans, etc, it has to be a ridiculous amount of money. I keep hearing about Trump doesn't need the government, but in large part, the government is who moved him from rich to ultra-rich.

Does the research exist?

I don't think it can because how do you count the debts discharged in bankruptcy?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2016 -> 06:44 PM)
I don't think it can because how do you count the debts discharged in bankruptcy?

Most of those would go to private banks, but regardless, any kind of study would be nice, even if it was to just one category or another of the overall picture (IE, just TIF money, or just tax abatements, etc.)

Honestly if someone did the research, it could be one of the most damning things that could be done to his campaign.