2016 Republican Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 06:57 PM)
Her track record suggest a person who CANNOT be trusted. I think that's pretty obvious. Only justification to vote for her IMO is if you think she's the best of this horrible lot of candidates. Her views can change, sure. But she changes policy and yes, lies, with the best of the politicians. She's very lucky IMO she's skating on this email thing. It's kind of like North Carolina and the basketball scandal. Everybody knows they are guilty, but we also know they aren't going to be punished. Just the way it is.

She was cleared by the state dept months ago. Nothing will ever come of the emails. It's a media thing just like Benghazi was. It's a non-issue.

More than that, you're allowed to change policy over 25 years in the public eye. (I know arguing with you probably isn't a worthwhile endeavor on my part though :P )

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 08:24 PM)
Isn't arguing about who is the most trustworthy presidential candidate kinda like arguing who is the nicest guy among Hitler, Stalin and Mao?

and given that truism, isn't Hillary the most capable leader of the current field if we take the "trustworthiness" as an even across the board?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 08:36 PM)
She was cleared by the state dept months ago. Nothing will ever come of the emails.

That's not true that she was cleared. Or at least by anyone who matters. I mean it's pretty clear what she did was illegal. I don't think there's any doubt at this point. We'll see what happens though. Investigation still ongoing so I wouldn't say she got special treatment yet either.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 10:18 PM)
He's finally snapped. It's ok kiddo, it'll all be over soon.

Yeah, to put Hillary as an equal with the rest of the field for trustworthiness will do that to people. That might be the most ridiculous thing I have seen in the Filibuster.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 11:43 PM)
Yeah, to put Hillary as an equal with the rest of the field for trustworthiness will do that to people. That might be the most ridiculous thing I have seen in the Filibuster.

No it isn't. I promise. My two or three bans say otherwise ;)

Admittedly I've been reading a lot more about Prince's death than the primaries. So tell me Republicans, is there any hope with this Cruz guy? Any reason I should be getting excited? I do like the idea of a flat tax finally. f*** the IRS and that bulls*** formula.

Anybody who reads my threads know I despise Hillary. I'm not a big fan of Trump mainly because he's a f***ing idiot. How bout tonight's line about how good looking he is? I know it's a joke, but still ... Donald you are rich so you can say and do whatever you want, but you are not good looking. Your hair looks like Chicago legend Bozo's quite frankly.

And Bernie's OK, but he aint winning anything anytime soon.

So tell me, can we handle a Cruz presidency?? Is he somebody Greg could get to like??

Cruz? You've gotta be s***tin' me greg.

If you're jonesing for christian extremism, he's your guy. That's just stupid in a country that has a pretty diverse portfolio of people. Some christians would love that but it would do nothing but cause complete and utter chaos in the country.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 06:20 AM)
Cruz? You've gotta be s***tin' me greg.

If you're jonesing for christian extremism, he's your guy. That's just stupid in a country that has a pretty diverse portfolio of people. Some christians would love that but it would do nothing but cause complete and utter chaos in the country.

What about the flat tax? I kinda like it. In this day and age of people getting so mad at believers, it is hard to believe he could emerge as the candidate. I mean I am a true believer and actually am a practicing Catholic, but as a nation I sense people get very mad when they find out you are a believer. People around here don't like hearing a word about God, that is for sure. You can't bring up religion or you better duck (except with your fellow parishioners of course).

I was just wondering if there was anything about Cruz I could rally around since it appears he may beat out Trump and I despise Hillary as much as I do.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 03:04 AM)
What about the flat tax? I kinda like it. In this day and age of people getting so mad at believers, it is hard to believe he could emerge as the candidate. I mean I am a true believer and actually am a practicing Catholic, but as a nation I sense people get very mad when they find out you are a believer. People around here don't like hearing a word about God, that is for sure. You can't bring up religion or you better duck (except with your fellow parishioners of course).

I was just wondering if there was anything about Cruz I could rally around since it appears he may beat out Trump and I despise Hillary as much as I do.

Goodness.

If Cruz gets the nom all hell will break loose,since Trump will have a massive delegate lead. Ted Cruz will never be President. I promise you that right now. And Greg wtf. A flat tax doesn't negate the rest of the evil spewed by that man.

The flat tax is a gimmick that would result in a massive cut for the wealthy and a drastic cut in government revenue. Tax brackets are not at all complicated; the hard part is figuring out what your taxable income is after deductions and credits, and a flat tax doesn't change that at all.

The flat tax is a gimmick that would result in a massive cut for the wealthy and a drastic cut in government revenue. Tax brackets are not at all complicated; the hard part is figuring out what your taxable income is after deductions and credits, and a flat tax doesn't change that at all.

Flat tax is an awful idea. I like the idea of simplifying returns, and lumping a bunch of exemptions and itemized deductions into a single fixed deductions, but we need to still have brackets.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 09:01 PM)
That's not true that she was cleared. Or at least by anyone who matters. I mean it's pretty clear what she did was illegal. I don't think there's any doubt at this point. We'll see what happens though. Investigation still ongoing so I wouldn't say she got special treatment yet either.

True she wasn't "cleared", and it wouldn't matter really anyway because she RAN State. But it's not true what she did was illegal, from what I've seen. What I have said all along is that, at the least, she showed stunningly poor judgment. But nothing we've seen indicates that what she did was per se illegal.

I will add, I think maybe the law should change - no government business on personal accounts, period. End of discussion. But right now, that is not the law.

Petraeus did a heck of a lot worse than Hillary is even alleged to have done at worst and he got a slap on the wrist before some cushy "guest lecture" gigs. Low level people slipping up with classified into might get harsher treatment, but once you're that high up punishment becomes less and less likely.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)
True she wasn't "cleared", and it wouldn't matter really anyway because she RAN State. But it's not true what she did was illegal, from what I've seen. What I have said all along is that, at the least, she showed stunningly poor judgment. But nothing we've seen indicates that what she did was per se illegal.

I will add, I think maybe the law should change - no government business on personal accounts, period. End of discussion. But right now, that is not the law.

It is very much the against the federal law of public record keeping. I assume you may be referring to the confidentiality of these emails, which is 2 different issues, and whether she broke laws there. Seems very likely, especially with what we've seen released, but that's still being explored by the FBI.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 11:19 PM)
Admittedly I've been reading a lot more about Prince's death than the primaries. So tell me Republicans, is there any hope with this Cruz guy? Any reason I should be getting excited? I do like the idea of a flat tax finally. f*** the IRS and that bulls*** formula.

Anybody who reads my threads know I despise Hillary. I'm not a big fan of Trump mainly because he's a f***ing idiot. How bout tonight's line about how good looking he is? I know it's a joke, but still ... Donald you are rich so you can say and do whatever you want, but you are not good looking. Your hair looks like Chicago legend Bozo's quite frankly.

And Bernie's OK, but he aint winning anything anytime soon.

So tell me, can we handle a Cruz presidency?? Is he somebody Greg could get to like??

Donald Trump is running on the premise that he's a hateful crazy person. Ted Cruz is literally a hateful crazy person though. He really is awful and is the most frightening of all the candidates. He'd have absolutely no shot in a general though sop it doesn't really matter.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 02:04 AM)

I don't care who is a believer and who isn't. That's a personal choice. 25% of the country is atheist or non-believers now though and Cruz's platform definitely doesn't ring home with any of them.

No matter how many times christians call persecution, it doesn't make it even remotely true, greg. You can be a believer but the problem with most believers is that they like to put their f***ing nose in other people's business. When people tell the collectively f*** off, they cry persecution. I am a raging unbeliever and am live and let live type of person. You don't f*** with me, I won't f*** with you. It's a simple solution really.

Once I start feeding christians to lions and executing them with extreme prejudice, kind of like what goes on in some muslim countries, then people will have a legitimate gripe.

Edited by pettie4sox

I don't care who is a believer and who isn't. That's a personal choice. 25% of the country is atheist or non-believers now though and Cruz's platform definitely doesn't ring home with any of them.

I'm a believer and Cruz' platform doesn't ring home with me either. Christian evangelicals are turning people away in droves by trying to force their (our) religious beliefs on others. I except abortion from this, because I believe abortion is a life issue and not a religious issue, and I really wish that the majority of pro-life people weren't also anti-gay and anti-poor.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
It is very much the against the federal law of public record keeping. I assume you may be referring to the confidentiality of these emails, which is 2 different issues, and whether she broke laws there. Seems very likely, especially with what we've seen released, but that's still being explored by the FBI.

All the rules I have seen, even in articles that are very anti-Hillary on the topic, state that use of personal email this way is not per se illegal (unless it contains confidential or protected information).

ETA: That said, I think it should be.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
Petraeus did a heck of a lot worse than Hillary is even alleged to have done at worst and he got a slap on the wrist before some cushy "guest lecture" gigs. Low level people slipping up with classified into might get harsher treatment, but once you're that high up punishment becomes less and less likely.

So Petraeus ran an unprotected server and let virtually anyone who wanted to read every damn email on her system? he got hacked by the Chinese, Russians and the kid next door? We even found out about this because some nobody hacker got ahold of some emails. If he did it, you know other world actors did. Believing that isn't so because it might hurt someone who represents 'you' in a political sense is just downright stupid.

I think there are really two different questions here. One is whether or not Hillary did anything that she should be charged criminally for. The second is whether or not she exercised judgment that was so poor that it ought to impact her as a Presidential candidate. I believe that the second category is much broader than the first.