2016 Republican Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Apr 27, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
Just please if Donald get there, anybody but Christie for VP! Pllleeeaaaassse!!!

I'm almost certain it'll be Jim Webb.

Hes very going out of his way to compliment Rubio these last two weeks. Have no idea what is brewing there, but I cant see him picked. Too much bad blood spilled but maybe he campaign for Trump in Florida.

Nikki Haley, nah, too many words exchanged and South Carolina already loves Trump. Doesnt get him very far. Same with Mia Love

Susana Martinez being a woman and hispanic checks off boxes and would trigger a lot of people, but I believe shes not too popular in her own state that's irrelevant to begin with.

Martha McSally has the background to be president with a Harvard degree and a very strong military background including being the first ever woman to fly in combat. It'd be a big jump but they could start grooming her for president now with a VP nom. Her big issue is fighting for women's rights in the middle east so that'd play well here. Little bit rocky relationship with Trump but nothing too bad. Still probably don't see it with her lack of experience. They'll do something else with her.

Christie, Palin, Carson all have no chance despite endorsing him. And obviously not Cruz or Kasich at this point.

Pretty thin field which is why I think it'll be Webb. Of course the last two Repub VPs have come from out of nowhere so who knows. And I guess the thing with Webb is he'd have to be approved at the convention. Approving a democrat may be too tall a task there.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2016 -> 12:52 PM)
That is about the last guy he would use. He refused his endorsement.

No he didn't. Christie has been with him to several events including last night. A reporter even asked if Christie was a potential VP for Donald, and Trump said yes.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 27, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
Palin set the bar very low so in that respect Carly beats it, but has naming a failed primary candidate as the VP ever worked out?

Biden ran in 2008 right? It didn't boost Obama or anything though and it was after he clinched the nomination.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 27, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
Cruz has lost his mind. Why Carly? Pick a woman who is in Congress for gosh sakes.

Remember, Cruz was supposed to be the big anti-establishment candidate, but then Trump totally outdid him.

I don't think I could have come up with a more unlikeable duo than Cruz-Fiorina. Nobody in congress likes Cruz (same can be said for a lot of the general population) and I'm pretty sure Fiorina has no soul.

Edited by chw42

Are the Veep's always chosen before the convention? I forget. At any rate, Carly is very very very unlikeable. At least to me. Cruz needs to go away. He's had a lot of chances and can't even provide serious competition to ... Donald Trump?? Then this choice of Carly? Ugh.

At least Donald vs. Hillary will be very fun theatre. I mean Donald actually did it. I heard the tape of him today accusing Hillary of playing the woman card. He actually said, "And women don't like her." He's certifiably nuts, but it's gonna be fun.

Edited by greg775

Are the Veep's always chosen before the convention? I forget. At any rate, Carly is very very very unlikeable. At least to me. Cruz needs to go away. He's had a lot of chances and can't even provide serious competition to ... Donald Trump?? Then this choice of Carly? Ugh.

At least Donald vs. Hillary will be very fun theatre. I mean Donald actually did it. I heard the tape of him today accusing Hillary of playing the woman card. He actually said, "And women don't like her." He's certifiably nuts, but it's gonna be fun.

The VP is usually chosen before the convention, but after the nomination is locked up. It's unheard of for a candidate who isn't even the frontrunner to name a VP.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 07:19 AM)
The VP is usually chosen before the convention, but after the nomination is locked up. It's unheard of for a candidate who isn't even the frontrunner to name a VP.

Chicago Radio is saying it happened in 1976 with Reagan.

Yes, he was trying a similar move to Cruz, stealing the nomination at the convention. They also tried some convention rules changes trickery. Didn't work though.

Technically the VP nominee is chosen by the delegates, not the candidate, and the delegates are not bound in any way here. It always ends up being the person the candidate wants, but who knows this year.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)
Yes, he was trying a similar move to Cruz, stealing the nomination at the convention. They also tried some convention rules changes trickery. Didn't work though.

Technically the VP nominee is chosen by the delegates, not the candidate, and the delegates are not bound in any way here. It always ends up being the person the candidate wants, but who knows this year.

Yeah, that's what's preventing me from calling Jim Webb a lock for Trumps VP. No idea how he'd be treated at the RNC. Probably not well.

In other news John Boehner with some real hot takes. I know I shouldn't be given the speaker/tea party relationship, but still seems odd words like these coming from an establishment guy at this time. He called Cruz "Lucifer in the flesh" and a "miserable son of a b****". Also said he will support Trump but not Cruz for the nomination.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
Why would trump want Jim Webb anyway? Nobody would care.

He's the name that comes up most often for it, perhaps because the list of potential candidates is very thin, but it is what it is. Strong military background, served under Reagan and picking a dem shows a move towards the center. It doesn't check off enough boxes or whatever, but I don't think that's the end all be all. He makes for a great dead man switch too, I'm sure that's a benefit for Trump.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 28, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)

Thanks.

Why did Boehner call fellow Republican Cruz "Lucifer." As many of you I despise Hillary based partly on stuff written in books about her mean personality. What's the skinny on Cruz? Why Lucifer?

Why did Boehner call fellow Republican Cruz "Lucifer." As many of you I despise Hillary based partly on stuff written in books about her mean personality. What's the skinny on Cruz? Why Lucifer?

Among many other things, in 2013, Boehner made a deal with the Democrats to avoid a shutdown. Cruz reneged on the deal and rounded up enough Senators to cause the shutdown. You may recall me mentioning the shutdown once or twice.

Cruz takes the position that only the farthest right option is acceptable on any issue and is unwilling to ever compromise. I think he would be an even worse President than Trump.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 2, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
Cruz takes the position that only the farthest right option is acceptable on any issue and is unwilling to ever compromise. I think he would be an even worse President than Trump.

Ted Cruz' schtick is that he's THE real deal, ideologically pure Republican. Of course, part of being THE real deal guy is the implicit accusation that all the other Republicans are RINOs/phonies/traitors. The Republican playbook is supposed to be "Dems bad, Reps good." Ted Cruz' playbook is "Dems bad, Reps not very good either, Ted Cruz good." He's willing to throw GOP colleagues under the bus to further himself, and that's why they hate him.

Cruz will compromise as long as it's politically beneficial and doesn't really look like a compromise. For example, he was on board with the Gang of 8 immigration bill if it included a no-citizenship amendment. But once the bill became unpopular, he started pretending that he hated the bill in every form from the get-go, that his amendment was a poison pill (LOL GUYS I WAS LYING THE WHOLE TIME), and that Rubio and the other Republicans involved were RINOs/phonies/traitors.

TL,DR: Dude is a self-serving douche

Edited by CrimsonWeltall

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 2, 2016 -> 12:06 PM)
Ted Cruz' schtick is that he's THE real deal, ideologically pure Republican. Of course, part of being THE real deal guy is the implicit accusation that all the other Republicans are RINOs/phonies/traitors. The Republican playbook is supposed to be "Dems bad, Reps good." Ted Cruz' playbook is "Dems bad, Reps not very good either, Ted Cruz good." He's willing to throw GOP colleagues under the bus to further himself, and that's why they hate him.

Cruz will compromise as long as it's politically beneficial and doesn't really look like a compromise. For example, he was on board with the Gang of 8 immigration bill if it included a no-citizenship amendment. But once the bill became unpopular, he started pretending that he hated the bill in every form from the get-go, that his amendment was a poison pill (LOL GUYS I WAS LYING THE WHOLE TIME), and that Rubio and the other Republicans involved were RINOs/phonies/traitors.

TL,DR: Dude is a self-serving douche

Bernie Sanders is running the same campaign style at a high level. He keeps running on the idea that he is the one true Democrat, and that people like Hillary even with their "mistakes" and "changes" are not the true Dems.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
Bernie Sanders is running the same campaign style at a high level. He keeps running on the idea that he is the one true Democrat, and that people like Hillary even with their "mistakes" and "changes" are not the true Dems.

FWIW, this is actually the opposite of what has happened. Sanders hasn't pulled the shenanigans and gained universal hatred in Congress like Cruz has, and it's been Clinton supporters making the argument that Sanders isn't a "real" Democrat (technically probably not, he was an independent until he ran for the Democratic nomination) and that his supporters aren't "real" Democrats (partially true in that he's gotten support from both inside and outside the party).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 2, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
FWIW, this is actually the opposite of what has happened. Sanders hasn't pulled the shenanigans and gained universal hatred in Congress like Cruz has, and it's been Clinton supporters making the argument that Sanders isn't a "real" Democrat (technically probably not, he was an independent until he ran for the Democratic nomination) and that his supporters aren't "real" Democrats (partially true in that he's gotten support from both inside and outside the party).

Sanders supporters keep saying Hillary is a moderate Republican masquerading as a Democrat.

Sanders supporters keep saying Hillary is a moderate Republican masquerading as a Democrat.

Cruz/Trump supporters keep calling Kasich a liberal. I don't know any liberals who would claim Kasich.