2016 Republican Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2016 -> 05:12 PM)
Bernie Sanders is running the same campaign style at a high level. He keeps running on the idea that he is the one true Democrat, and that people like Hillary even with their "mistakes" and "changes" are not the true Dems.

Not so much "one true Democrat" as he is trying to hype his progressive record against Clinton's. Some of that type of thing is to be expected in any instances where people are competing. The thing with Cruz is that he does it even against Republicans he's not competing with - he does it with people who are supposed to be his allies.

As far as I know, Bernie Sanders doesn't have a reputation of being hated among colleagues.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 2, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
Sanders supporters keep saying Hillary is a moderate Republican masquerading as a Democrat.

Well that much is true, some left-liberals have been saying "the Democratic party is the same as the Republican party of 40 years ago!" for years. But it's not the way Sanders himself has structured his campaign or what his central message has been. Sanders instead has explicitly referenced a political revolution rather than trying to claim that he's really the true Democrat. I don't really think there's an analog on the Demcrat side to the "if we only ran a True Conservative, we woulda won!" that conservatives have been clamoring for since Taft in the 40's and 50's. Besides, you end up having to shift between party identification and ideology to make that comparison.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 2, 2016 -> 06:44 PM)
Lou Holtz endorsed Donald Trump today. As someone who worked for him for a year and hold him in higher regard than pretty much any other man I know, this troubles me quite a bit.

Trump needs to disavow.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 2, 2016 -> 06:44 PM)
Lou Holtz endorsed Donald Trump today. As someone who worked for him for a year and hold him in higher regard than pretty much any other man I know, this troubles me quite a bit.

Nooooooooooo. I've lost a little respect for Lou

QUOTE (Buehrle%2526gt%253BWood @ Apr 27, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
I'm almost certain it'll be Jim Webb.

Hes very going out of his way to compliment Rubio these last two weeks. Have no idea what is brewing there, but I cant see him picked. Too much bad blood spilled but maybe he campaign for Trump in Florida.

Nikki Haley, nah, too many words exchanged and South Carolina already loves Trump. Doesnt get him very far. Same with Mia Love

Susana Martinez being a woman and hispanic checks off boxes and would trigger a lot of people, but I believe shes not too popular in her own state that's irrelevant to begin with.

Martha McSally has the background to be president with a Harvard degree and a very strong military background including being the first ever woman to fly in combat. It'd be a big jump but they could start grooming her for president now with a VP nom. Her big issue is fighting for women's rights in the middle east so that'd play well here. Little bit rocky relationship with Trump but nothing too bad. Still probably don't see it with her lack of experience. They'll do something else with her.

Christie, Palin, Carson all have no chance despite endorsing him. And obviously not Cruz or Kasich at this point.

Pretty thin field which is why I think it'll be Webb. Of course the last two Repub VPs have come from out of nowhere so who knows. And I guess the thing with Webb is he'd have to be approved at the convention. Approving a democrat may be too tall a task there.

-White Sox on the way to playoffs? Check.

-Donald, Ivanka, Don Jr, Eric, Tiff, Melania, et al mere 8 months away from rightfully reclaiming the White House? Justice, light & truth > Soros

-Pam Bondi as VP?

oh yeah, a gift for Mr. Greg:

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ May 3, 2016 -> 05:42 AM)
-White Sox on the way to playoffs? Check.

-Donald, Ivanka, Don Jr, Eric, Tiff, Melania, et al mere 8 months away from rightfully reclaiming the White House? Justice, light & truth > Soros

-Pam Bondi as VP?

oh yeah, a gift for Mr. Greg:

Thank you! Did you see her face on Anderson Cooper's first question? She lit up so happy cause she is so used to lying she's very comfortable doing it IMO. My only hope is the FBI. Please come through and indict her.

Edited by greg775

Wow. Cruz threw in the towel. That leaves Trump.

This is pretty historic. Can you imagine the convention? It's usually a big happy thing (even with a bummer candidate like Romney) with just about everybody united and waving the flags of the nominee. This year ... can you imagine all the stodgy old Republican government officials who will be at the convention asked to get excited on camera about ... Trump??

First of all, any Republican elected official over the age of 50 probably knows Trump, and considering Donald is a ruthless businessman, most probably dislike him. Also, there's the jealousy factor. Every one of the Republican elected officials there, who are asked to get behind Trump, are probably thinking ... "Donald Trump is our nominee?? A guy who has never been in politics before?? Why not me???"

There just can't be that much support for Trump from the people who will be attending the convention. It's the little people, the voters who are supporting Trump, not anybody close to being in charge of the party. I think this leaves the disintegration of the party completely. Now would be a good time to aggressively get behind a third party. Maybe Cruz could be that party's nominee, maybe Bernie, somebody. Cause this is a runaway laugh out loud victory for Hillary and the convention is going to be one embarrassing death knell for the Republican party.

The reporters are going to have a blast when they do the on the floor interviews. After one inocuous question about Trump, they'll get most of the interviewees to saying something like, "He leaves a lot to be desired but he is our candidate." That'll be about the most praise you hear from any Republican of note about Trump.

The people want Trump ... the Republican elite do not.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 4, 2016 -> 05:08 AM)
Ill be on the floor so there will be at least some support. It'll be fun. Reince Priebus tweeted his full support of Trump tonight. People are starting to come around. Well see what happens in July.

Awesome that you will be on the floor. You should keep a diary and write a book. This year would be a good one for that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 3, 2016 -> 02:01 AM)
Thank you! Did you see her face on Anderson Cooper's first question? She lit up so happy cause she is so used to lying she's very comfortable doing it IMO. My only hope is the FBI. Please come through and indict her.

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/sm/custom/187074aea6.jpg

No worries, not everyone at the FBI is a careerist coward. Some actually do possess enough honor to frown upon what is essentially treason, influence peddling & other violations of federal statutes. some'd say Hillary Clinton is Lady Macbeth, but she is not even that. Just a garden-variety grossly incompetent, foul-mouthed granny selling out her country bit by bit, with a dead-body trail from here to Burkino Faso . And a textbook sex-predador sociopath of a hubby

(But hey, Trump has poor decorative taste & is mean to illegals, what a "horrid" human being! )

And apparently despite 10 months' worth of truly Orwellian propaganda; 100 mill in negatives ads; all manner of collusion; delegate-rigging, voter-fraud etc - not everyone in the US wants this formerly amazing country to become another 3rd world sh*thole - Mexico: North

or to follow some clown like Bernie Sanders with his siren-song right off the cliff -- and into the North Korea, Venezuela, Greece, Brazil, Zimbabwe, USSR or some other "peaceful & just paradise".

Or to be constantly tossing Islam's salad

The US individual tax rates are barely higher than France's...

What do we get? Basic services like police, fire, roads, water, decaying infrastructure, an embarrassingly slow internet compared to Japan/South Korea/Singapore, lousy public schools and almost 60% of that money is going to WARFARE, which has actually made the world appreciably LESS safe since 2001. Oh, and all the bank bailouts, with not a single white collar executive prosecuted in the banking or home mortgage industry.

In France, you get higher funding for arts, high speed trains, great public schools with 2-3 Michelin** healthy cuisine, free nursing care, free prescription medicine/s, FOUR weeks of paid vacation per year mandated by the government, paid maternity leave (the US is one of only two countries in the world without it, many offer 4-6 months), paid sick leave, free daycare, free college/university and ALL THE BASIC services for just about 5-10% more in taxes.

Trump, more than anything represents an end to the traditional/establishment Republican party:

The new brand is:

1) Anti-immigration/foreigner

2) Anti-free trade/globalization

3) For protecting entitlement programs and not privatizing them

4) Limited military spending (getting allies to pay higher/fairer share)

5) Not fighting any of the traditional "social/family/religious" values arguments anymore, except for niche issues like transgender bathrooms that not even Democrats/liberals agree upon

6) For protecting American jobs/labor

7) Anti-establishment/at least pretends to be anti Wall Street to some extent because of his own money

If you strip away some of the hateful parts of Trumpism, it will win you all those states like West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana that were in Hilary's column 8 year ago (and anti-Obama) but have now also turned anti-Clinton/establishment

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 4, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
I personally think Cruz should have been forced to carry his campaign the full term.

He has a history of shutting down rather than working.

Why? As a lifelong member of the other team I look at Trump and thing, wow, he does not reflect 75% of the Republicans I know. I don't see him as a reflection at all. What I worry about are Republicans deciding that he's their guy and that is the direction the party should be going.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 4, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
Why? As a lifelong member of the other team I look at Trump and thing, wow, he does not reflect 75% of the Republicans I know. I don't see him as a reflection at all. What I worry about are Republicans deciding that he's their guy and that is the direction the party should be going.

A large portion of the party is voting for him though. I understand there wasn't a great alternative, but at least with Kasich you had a semi-electable candidate. Republicans instead chose Trump and Cruz.

I wonder if Romney is kicking himself for not running. I suppose he could just wait 4 years.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 4, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
I personally think Cruz should have been forced to carry his campaign the full term.

Cheap shot. Abortion is a complicated issue and Americans differ on it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2016 -> 02:39 AM)
The US individual tax rates are barely higher than France's...

What do we get? Basic services like police, fire, roads, water, decaying infrastructure, an embarrassingly slow internet compared to Japan/South Korea/Singapore, lousy public schools and almost 60% of that money is going to WARFARE, which has actually made the world appreciably LESS safe since 2001. Oh, and all the bank bailouts, with not a single white collar executive prosecuted in the banking or home mortgage industry.

In France, you get higher funding for arts, high speed trains, great public schools with 2-3 Michelin** healthy cuisine, free nursing care, free prescription medicine/s, FOUR weeks of paid vacation per year mandated by the government, paid maternity leave (the US is one of only two countries in the world without it, many offer 4-6 months), paid sick leave, free daycare, free college/university and ALL THE BASIC services for just about 5-10% more in taxes.

Trump, more than anything represents an end to the traditional/establishment Republican party:

The new brand is:

1) Anti-immigration/foreigner

2) Anti-free trade/globalization

3) For protecting entitlement programs and not privatizing them

4) Limited military spending (getting allies to pay higher/fairer share)

5) Not fighting any of the traditional "social/family/religious" values arguments anymore, except for niche issues like transgender bathrooms that not even Democrats/liberals agree upon

6) For protecting American jobs/labor

7) Anti-establishment/at least pretends to be anti Wall Street to some extent because of his own money

If you strip away some of the hateful parts of Trumpism, it will win you all those states like West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana that were in Hilary's column 8 year ago (and anti-Obama) but have now also turned anti-Clinton/establishment

They also have a VAT of about 20% on most things other than prescription drugs and food. They get a lot more than just a few percent more than here. As for your rail comment, easy to put that in a country smaller than Texas. Not so easy in a country the size of the U.S. And maybe if our European allies paid for more of their own defense, we wouldn't have to spend as much there.