2016 Republican Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 5, 2016 -> 07:33 AM)
They also have a VAT of about 20% on most things other than prescription drugs and food. They get a lot more than just a few percent more than here. As for your rail comment, easy to put that in a country smaller than Texas. Not so easy in a country the size of the U.S. And maybe if our European allies paid for more of their own defense, we wouldn't have to spend as much there.

Not to hijack this thread, but aren't most current high speed rail proposal regional? High speed rail makes a lot of sense in the northeast, and in the Midwest (linking Minneapolis, Chicago, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Detroit, Columbus, etc.). The infrastructure would be really expensive, but that's how high speed rail reasonably makes sense in the US.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 5, 2016 -> 09:34 AM)
Not to hijack this thread, but aren't most current high speed rail proposal regional? High speed rail makes a lot of sense in the northeast, and in the Midwest (linking Minneapolis, Chicago, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Detroit, Columbus, etc.). The infrastructure would be really expensive, but that's how high speed rail reasonably makes sense in the US.

I think the major projects being pushed right now are high-speed lines between LA-San Fran and LA-Las Vegas.

Things just got interesting. Ryan says he can't back Trump as the nominee. Will be very curious to see the backlash and potential splinter that is about to potentially happen. IMO, this is a much bigger deal than Romney or almost anyone else in the party making this statement. This is the speaker of the house, who was put in this position by the party.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/house-speaker-pa...--election.html

I imagine it's too late for him to get primaried at this point, and his seat is pretty heavily gerrymandered.

Look at what he's saying though. He's saying he can't back Trump...yet. It's a move to get some sort of policy or position concessions from Trump. My guess is that Ryan comes around in the end.

For maximal chaos hopes, Ryan is the chairman of the convention and must certify the nomination votes. Hypothetically, could he refuse to certify?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2016 -> 06:58 PM)
Honestly even if Trump gets elected, he is going to face a hostile congress, and that is just in his own party.

I will be fascinating to watch if he is elected. Perhaps we may see the first really independent president since Washington. I just don't have a handle on what

A. Policy-wise what he truly wants

and

B. What is actually feasible.

No one should believe that Mexico will build a fence at their expense. We are not restricting an entire religious group from coming to America. So what does Trump propose that could be a reality?

QUOTE (Tex @ May 6, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
I will be fascinating to watch if he is elected. Perhaps we may see the first really independent president since Washington. I just don't have a handle on what

A. Policy-wise what he truly wants

and

B. What is actually feasible.

No one should believe that Mexico will build a fence at their expense. We are not restricting an entire religious group from coming to America. So what does Trump propose that could be a reality?

Trump as President is his proposal.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 7, 2016 -> 09:23 PM)
It ended up being a lot more than that.

Madigans pays me a lot too in terms of Sox tickets, which is great.

Either way, that's nice chunk of change on a prop bet.

The US individual tax rates are barely higher than France's...

What do we get? Basic services like police, fire, roads, water, decaying infrastructure, an embarrassingly slow internet compared to Japan/South Korea/Singapore, lousy public schools and almost 60% of that money is going to WARFARE, which has actually made the world appreciably LESS safe since 2001. Oh, and all the bank bailouts, with not a single white collar executive prosecuted in the banking or home mortgage industry.

In France, you get higher funding for arts, high speed trains, great public schools with 2-3 Michelin** healthy cuisine, free nursing care, free prescription medicine/s, FOUR weeks of paid vacation per year mandated by the government, paid maternity leave (the US is one of only two countries in the world without it, many offer 4-6 months), paid sick leave, free daycare, free college/university and ALL THE BASIC services for just about 5-10% more in taxes.

Trump, more than anything represents an end to the traditional/establishment Republican party:

The new brand is:

1) Anti-immigration/foreigner

2) Anti-free trade/globalization

3) For protecting entitlement programs and not privatizing them

4) Limited military spending (getting allies to pay higher/fairer share)

5) Not fighting any of the traditional "social/family/religious" values arguments anymore, except for niche issues like transgender bathrooms that not even Democrats/liberals agree upon

6) For protecting American jobs/labor

7) Anti-establishment/at least pretends to be anti Wall Street to some extent because of his own money

If you strip away some of the hateful parts of Trumpism, it will win you all those states like West Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana that were in Hilary's column 8 year ago (and anti-Obama) but have now also turned anti-Clinton/establishment

If you strip away the hateful parts of Trumpism, he doesn't even have a chance. He won by appealing to people's emotions, not by taking certain positions.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 8, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
I mean, no they don't.

If anyone is on the ballot, they should be included in debates. They fact they're not is why people say the system is rigged.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 8, 2016 -> 05:23 PM)
If you strip away the hateful parts of Trumpism, he doesn't even have a chance. He won by appealing to people's emotions, not by taking certain positions.

Not necessarily. ALL of Trump's supporters aren't hateful violent people. We'd have had riots if that were the case. Many of them are merely sick of politics and sick of not having any money.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 8, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
If anyone is on the ballot, they should be included in debates. They fact they're not is why people say the system is rigged.

You recognize the can of worms that would open, right? You must have enjoyed those 17 candidate GOP debates.

Not necessarily. ALL of Trump's supporters aren't hateful violent people. We'd have had riots if that were the case. Many of them are merely sick of politics and sick of not having any money.

I didn't say all of Trump's supporters are hateful and violent. I said that Trump's hatefulness is what is appealing to his voters emotionally. Most Trump supporters don't even know what he really stands for.