**2016 Films Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 2, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
I've read the reviews but I'm going to Independence Day tonight with the same friend that I went to the first one with as a 10 year old. Seems pretty fitting.

I had a similar experience as a teen as you, seeing it. But I recommend not trying to be nostalgic. It's really really bad.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://pro.boxoffice.com/early-estimates-d...ise-bfg-modest/

Looks like THE PURGE 3 is the breakout (especially on a $10 million budget) hit of the weekend, and dovetails nicely with what's going on in the US/Europe today quite well. Great timing.

BFG, despite the Spielberg ties, was modest and basically the DORY tidal wave ran it over.

No interest in seeing Tarzan.

The Shallows is the next film on my list.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 3, 2016 -> 04:43 AM)
The Shallows 3.25/4

Shallows was short but sweet. Last half hour is really good. Awful CG shark didn't ruin it too much for me since he's seen at a minimum.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 11:19 PM)
Ghostbusters was not good. Too many jokes fell flat it takes you out of even the funny ones

The commercials and clips make it look like satire to the original.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 07:10 AM)
The commercials and clips make it look like satire to the original.

It wasn't. And after thinking about it last night one of the biggest was havin. 4 comedians that they treated all as equitable. Bill Murray was the star of ghostbusters and he shined obviously. This had Kristin Wiig playing the straight person basically (huge waste) while Kate McKinnon was electric but I don't think they knew what they had there and she was not given much at all. Script was really just a mess.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 08:08 AM)
It wasn't. And after thinking about it last night one of the biggest was havin. 4 comedians that they treated all as equitable. Bill Murray was the star of ghostbusters and he shined obviously. This had Kristin Wiig playing the straight person basically (huge waste) while Kate McKinnon was electric but I don't think they knew what they had there and she was not given much at all. Script was really just a mess.

Your point about it lacking a standout performance like Bill Murray's is a very good one. I still liked it a lot though; more than I thought I would.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
EW is doing a bunch of articles on the upcoming Dark Tower movie. Here's part 1.

I know it's not going to be an exact interpretation of the books, but I'm still looking forward to this.

the more i hear, the less excited i get. And none of that has to do with Elba

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)

I wasn’t really at first, but I think now I understand what they are doing and why. The first book is really dull and slow. So to get people hooked into the story, they had to incorporate some of the stuff from the later books. They have 8 books worth of source material to use, so why not introduce some things earlier than when they were introduced in the books? It should set things up nicely for the few movies assuming this one does well.

Also, he has his horn this time around. If you finished the last book, you’ll know what that means and how it changes everything. You can look at the movies as more of a sequel rather than a direct interpretation.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
I wasn’t really at first, but I think now I understand what they are doing and why. The first book is really dull and slow. So to get people hooked into the story, they had to incorporate some of the stuff from the later books. They have 8 books worth of source material to use, so why not introduce some things earlier than when they were introduced in the books? It should set things up nicely for the few movies assuming this one does well.

Also, he has his horn this time around. If you finished the last book, you’ll know what that means and how it changes everything. You can look at the movies as more of a sequel rather than a direct interpretation.

This is what i dont like. The story is an infinite loop

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
I'm not entirely sure why this needed to be remade. The original holds up just fine.

I agree, I remember when the original came out. That was must watch TV, Tim Curry's Pennywise was on practically every magazine cover.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)

The more backing and money you hear is getting behind a project, the more worried you should be. Hard to make an interesting movie nowadays.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
I'm not entirely sure why this needed to be remade. The original holds up just fine.

Except for that ending. The book's ending was 100X better.

The book does have a connection to the Dark Tower series. With both movies being made so close to each other, I'm interested to see if they keep the connection in the movie.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 11:06 PM)
RIP Gary Marshall. 2016 sucks

81 years old.

Directed Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, and was known as the owner of the girls baseball league in A League of Their Own.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (juddling @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
The new Star Trek movie was definitely better than the last one.......

I thought the last one was pretty good too, though this one was better.

Also saw Jason Bourne. Not bad, nothing mind-blowing either- except whoever it is that plays the CIA girl. Worth the $5 spent.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

Isn't that Alicia Vikander as the CIA lady? I only saw her in the trailer, but I think that's her. Cast looks good (Riz Ahmed of Nightcrawler getting work!), but I'm feeling kind of burned out on these one-man action vehicles (Spectre was dogs***) at the moment maybe the next Jack Reacher will reel me back in.

Are we already doing best of 2016 lists so far? I feel like this year hasn't offered me much in terms of wide releases. I've liked more of the smaller films; Green Room, Sing Street, A Bigger Splash, and The Witch. I guess Hail, Caesar would classify as a bigger release compared to those budgets.

Edited by Nixon

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 4, 2016 -> 07:38 PM)
Intriguing teaser dropped for DUNKIRK

Three people that I know through a film exchange are extras in the film, could not be more jealous.

But it's the perfect teaser, from what I understand none of the footage in the teaser, besides from the last shot, will be used in the film.

The teaser looks like it was all shot in IMAX too.

Like that Nolan is going with an unknown cast this.