**2016 Films Thread**

Brian

Saw La La Land last night and it's instantly one of my all time favorite movies.

I'm a big fan of musicals, movies with elaborate sets and costumes and my mom and sisters are all lifelong dancers, needless to say that I was in heaven. When I heard that the film was going to be a modern day and realistic take of song dance movies, I was excited but kind of skeptical but this film really pulled it over, while avoiding every possible cliche.

The movie is a love story but its more about the role that love plays in the lives of people who are 'going for it'. And it ask if you can have have love in the pursuit of accomplishing your greatest dreams and desires.

There are some really memorials scenes and numbers but my personal favorite was the one where Emma Stone and her roommates get ready to go out. The cinematography was amazing with an awesome color palette. It's no secret that Emma Stone is super pale, so I love that she was always in dark spaces and wearing colors that popped on her and played well on her complexion. The costumes were all sharp and had a lot of detail, from the dresses to the suits. The editing was great too, I don't know how they edited the opening number, I get a headache think I about it. Also it was shot on film, so bonus points.

I'm a big, big fan of Ryan Gosling but it always bothered me that he shies away from 'typical leading man' type career moves, hopefully with this and the upcoming Blade Runner sequel, he starts to embrace that leading man status. People were talking about the film's Oscar chances and a lot of people brought him up. He was really great in the film and probably his best work.

I think Damien Chazelle is making a Neil Armstrong biopic next, I love that each project of his is so radically different from the last.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 13, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
I don't get what point you're trying to make. Suicide Squad easily crosses a billion dollars if it was in China. My point was it is the biggest hit of the summer, not in terms of dollar but in longevity and it's still playing in theaters.

I wouldn't say that Deadpool is better than SS or that SS is better than Deadpool, I have similar opinions on both films.

There's been a dearth of decent movies the last two months. Sully, Magnificent Seven, Deepwater Horizon and this weekend's Jack Reacher are some of the few I can even recall.

Deadpool is simply much more entertaining. I don't think many will care to watch SS again...unless they are fanboys and girls of Margot Robbie.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 21, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
There's been a dearth of decent movies the last two months. Sully, Magnificent Seven, Deepwater Horizon and this weekend's Jack Reacher are some of the few I can even recall.

Deadpool is simply much more entertaining. I don't think many will care to watch SS again...unless they are fanboys and girls of Margot Robbie.

I'll just rewatch Wolf of Wallstreet for my Margot Robbie fix.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 21, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)

I watched Deadpool again recently and wasn't entertained but I appreciate the fact that I don't get a splitting migraine when I watch it

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 21, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
I watched Deadpool again recently and wasn't entertained but I appreciate the fact that I don't get a splitting migraine when I watch it

Let me speak for the rest of the Films thread when I say that we're pretty shocked you'd go against the grain on something.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 21, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
Let me speak for the rest of the Films thread when I say that we're pretty shocked you'd go against the grain on something.

I like Deadpool but after repeat viewings its not as good as I thought it was after I first saw it.

Still a good movie.

*No one else gets migraines from Suicide Squad's terrible use of soundtrack?

Edited by Joshua Strong

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, The Accountant wasn't a bad action flick at all.

Y2Jimmy has said enough...just not so sure about needing a gun that's essentially an anti-aircraft weapon, that was overdoing it just a bit.

http://www.metacritic.com/pictures/novembe...-preview?ref=hp

FINALLY SOME PROMISING MOVIES TO LOOK FORWARD TO AS NOVEMBER HITS

Allied (movie everyone's claiming was start of Pitt/Cotillard fling or non-fling)

Miss Sloane, Moana (somewhat controversial animation film because of the S.Pacific ethnicity portrayed), Arrival (it's officially AMY ADAMS MONTH), Loving, Manchester By the Sea (Affleck Brothers cleaning up) and Nocturnal Animals (more Adams) all look like potential Academy Award nominees.

Rules Don't Apply looks interesting.

You've ALSO got a Mel Gibson pic about a WWII conscientious object/medic (back to his Catholic roots again), Dr. Strange is getting very good reviews despite the lack of an Asian cast, the Harry Potter prequel Fantastic Beasts (am a bit tired of Eddie Redmayne at the moment) and another possible breakout comedy with Hailee Stanfield/Woody Harrelson (The Edge of Seventee).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 31, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
The Accountant is good. It's like John Wick or the Equalizer meets Good Will Hunting. Affleck's character lives in Plainfield, Illinois (even though movie was shot in Atlanta).

It was just so predictable, decent action movie with pretty bad acting.

Ghostbusters was just bad. Has nothing do with the ladies. There were a few chuckles but that story and ending was were awful.

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates was decent until the actually wedding stuff than none of it was funny or made much sense. Aubrey Plaza though.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
Ghostbusters was just bad. Has nothing do with the ladies. There were a few chuckles but that story and ending was were awful.

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates was decent until the actually wedding stuff than none of it was funny or made much sense. Aubrey Plaza though.

The original movie had the combination of the perfect cast, and a great script. Honestly even part 2 was awful. I have zero desire to see the new one.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
The original movie had the combination of the perfect cast, and a great script. Honestly even part 2 was awful. I have zero desire to see the new one.

You son of a b****