**2016 Films Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 08:54 PM)
Eh, literally the only scene I can remember is the scene with Bobby Brown's cameo.

How could you forget that the Ghostbusters used a NES Advantage to control the Statue of Liberty. For shame

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 03:56 PM)
Ghostbusters was just bad. Has nothing do with the ladies. There were a few chuckles but that story and ending was were awful.

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates was decent until the actually wedding stuff than none of it was funny or made much sense. Aubrey Plaza though.

I love her and also have a huge thing for Anna Kendrick

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
Sure wish you guys were around to talk ghostbusters when I wrote my incredible critique.

I thought that was one of the better summer movies, which says a lot about this past summer movie season. Some of it did feel awkward to watch at times, like that dance sequence.

I think the movie should've been a sequel to Ghostbusters 2 with the original surviving cast back in their roles, that would've given the film a lot of good will.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
Saw an early screening of Arrival yesterday. It was a bit different than I expect but my friends and I enjoyed it overall.

For a while I thought they were going to pull an Interstellar on us but it ended in an interesting place.

Movies about aliens coming to earth often struggle with the ending and don't do it well. Hopefully Arrival does it (NOT ASKING TO KNOW - DON'T TELL ME).

The Arrival was interesting, and worth seeing.

Part of it is not sticking well with me though.

It's totally plausible to me that language could be fundamental to thought processes and learning a new one could change the way you think, but it's not giving your brain the ability to operate outside of time and see the future.

I guess chalk that one up to "suspension of disbelief".

I also read that an early script (or maybe it was the short story source) had a more interesting motivation for the aliens. Wish they had done that instead.

Rather than coming here because "we'll need your help in 3000 years", the aliens were actually there to understand the idea of free will, as they viewed everything as deterministic.

Understated but poignant Loving is very good...about interracial marriage VA case that finally made it to the Supreme Court.

The chameleonesque Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga from Agents of SHIELD star. Not sure if it's an Academy Award contenders but the reviews have been quite solid (89 at rt.com).

Considering the history is 50-60 years ago, it's even more jarring to watch with this election season as the backdrop.

Nerve with Emma Roberts and Dave Franco was a lot better than expected...

Edited by caulfield12

I loved Fantastic Beast, in my opinion the best Harry Potter (related) film since Azkaban. Although I enjoyed the movie, I really hate that a certain actor is not coming back for the remainder of the franchise. This actor in my opinion was the best thing about the entire movie, I do like the actor that replaced him but I don't think they can do menacing quite like the original actor did.

Moonlight is fantastic, very timely movie for the black community and discussions about masculinity. A lot of parts of the film hit home and I know tons of characters like the one's represented in the film. I keep on recommending the film to every other black person that I come across but you don't need to be black or gay/queer for that matter to appreciate this movie, it is very universal. I applaud the movie for avoiding the typical tropes.

Going to see Nocturnal Animals tonight!

Edited by Joshua Strong