**2016 Films Thread**

Brian

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (juddling @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
Saw both Suicide Squad and Jason Borne at the drive in last night.....had same feeling on both....not great but not terrible either.

Bourne tonight. Damon desperately needs a hit, a lot of his films with the exception of a couple have been bombs.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 7, 2016 -> 05:20 PM)
Bourne tonight. Damon desperately needs a hit, a lot of his films with the exception of a couple have been bombs.

Desperately? He's coming off The Martian, one of the best movies of the past decade, for which he won Best Actor at the Golden Globes.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 5, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
Like that Nolan is going with an unknown cast this.

Who is the unknown in the cast? I know he cast the teeny bopper dude, but outside of that it looks like he's got some big hitters (Hardy, Rylance, Branagh)

Been on a TCM kick lately since the box office has been a total cesspool. Most Dangerous Game (3/4), Heaven's Gate (2/4), and From Here to Eternity (4/4).

Edited by Nixon

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
Desperately? He's coming off The Martian, one of the best movies of the past decade, for which he won Best Actor at the Golden Globes.

Holy crap, I forgot about that movie (wasn't a big fan) but outside of that its been a tough going. Monuments Men, Elysium, We Bought a Zoo. I could go on.

QUOTE (Nixon @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 10:25 AM)
Who is the unknown in the cast? I know he cast the teeny bopper dude, but outside of that it looks like he's got some big hitters (Hardy, Rylance, Branagh)

Hardy, Rylance and Branagh are all supporting roles.

The cast is lead by Fionn Whitehead (who's been reported as being the lead), Jack Lowden, Anuerin Bernard, Barry Keoghan and Harry Stlyes, who is an unknown actor.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)
Hardy, Rylance and Branagh are all supporting roles.

The cast is lead by Fionn Whitehead (who's been reported as being the lead), Jack Lowden, Anuerin Bernard, Barry Keoghan and Harry Styles, who is an unknown actor.

Lowden and Keoghan were in '71 which is a fun chase/action film. Those two and + Bernard were in that War & Peace miniseries I haven't forced myself to sit through (Paul Dano as Pierre lol) yet so they're not total amateurs. Still, it's not like Nolan is making Remains of the Day or something that's going to require a huge effort on their part. I'm probably stepping in it with that phrasing but I don't really care for Nolan and his characters are usually the thinnest part of the movies.

And RE: Matt Damon, I think he's going to be ok. Didn't you guys see the trailer for The Great Wall?

QUOTE (Nixon @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 04:41 PM)
Lowden and Keoghan were in '71 which is a fun chase/action film. Those two and + Bernard were in that War & Peace miniseries I haven't forced myself to sit through (Paul Dano as Pierre lol) yet so they're not total amateurs. Still, it's not like Nolan is making Remains of the Day or something that's going to require a huge effort on their part. I'm probably stepping in it with that phrasing but I don't really care for Nolan and his characters are usually the thinnest part of the movies.

And RE: Matt Damon, I think he's going to be ok. Didn't you guys see the trailer for The Great Wall?

I think he is underrated when it comes to directing actors. When people talk about Ledger's performance in The Dark Knight, no one gives him any credit. Heath Ledger just didn't walk on set and BAM, he was directed and instructed by Nolan on how to play that part. The Prestige is filled with great performances and has my favorite performance by Christian Bale.

What an obscure reference, I haven't seen Remains of the Days in a long time but I don't get why you brought it up. If you're talking about that films casting, I think most of that cast were already established (some were superstars) at that point in their careers by the time that film came out.

I never said the young cast of Dunkirk were amateurs but despite some of them having a few small credits to their names, they are unknown, just like how John Boyega and Daisy Ridley were unknown when they joined The Force Awakens.

I am curious to see how Dunkirk is going to play out. You would think that the film based on its historical subject matter and this director, would come out right in awards season but it's coming out in the middle of summer but so did Saving Private Ryan. And in every press release, the movie is being sold not as a war film but as an 'epic action thriller', which has me more intrigued.

I don't think Remains of the Day is an obscure reference at all. Just pointing at a performance in a film that had an actor turned in even an ounce less of an effort the whole thing would have been loss. Yes, Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson are both pretty much living legends. Sorry, I guess that point wasn't clearly articulated. John Boyega was great in Attack the Block before he was in The Force Awakens. Him and Oscar Isaac were the only reason I was even in the theater for that.

I haven't seen The Prestige in a long time, I was just all right with it. Didn't stick with me like his take on Dieter Dengler in Rescue Dawn (maybe it's because I'd seen the documentary), or Empire of the Sun (again maybe due to familiarity with subject). Maybe time for a revisit. :cheers

That other WW2 flick looks pretty good too. Hacksaw Ridge. So we'll have a new Pacific WW2 movie to go with Dunkirk.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 06:49 PM)
It will be nice to see Nolan tackle something like that, where he doesn't just have to explain the rules of the world he created for 3 hrs.

Love can travel through wormholes and buttholes.

Edited by Nixon

QUOTE (Nixon @ Aug 8, 2016 -> 07:29 PM)
I don't think Remains of the Day is an obscure reference at all. Just pointing at a performance in a film that had an actor turned in even an ounce less of an effort the whole thing would have been loss. Yes, Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson are both pretty much living legends. Sorry, I guess that point wasn't clearly articulated. John Boyega was great in Attack the Block before he was in The Force Awakens. Him and Oscar Isaac were the only reason I was even in the theater for that.

I haven't seen The Prestige in a long time, I was just all right with it. Didn't stick with me like his take on Dieter Dengler in Rescue Dawn (maybe it's because I'd seen the documentary), or Empire of the Sun (again maybe due to familiarity with subject). Maybe time for a revisit. :cheers

That other WW2 flick looks pretty good too. Hacksaw Ridge. So we'll have a new Pacific WW2 movie to go with Dunkirk.

I love Rescue Dawn, Im a giant fan of Herzog. I haven't seen Empire of the Sun in a long, long time

Hacksaw Ridges looks awesome. Check out this movie called, Allied. It stars Marion Cotillard and Brad Pitt and they play spies in WW2. It's more of a romance film but it looks great.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)
The first one was very forgettable. Had almost no link to the source material as far as narrative.

To be fair the book is a collection of interviews from random survivors, it'd be pretty difficult to adapt that to film.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
Fincher deserves better than that.

If you've been following his career lately, you'd know two things: He's been flirting with doing a blockbuster recently for a very long time and came very close with an adaptation of 20,000 Leauges Under The Sea, the plug was pulled because he and Disbey couldn't come to an agreement on casting. He wanted Brad Pitt, Dinsey wanted Channing Tatum. Secondly, he was developing a few shows at HBO and the plug was pulled on those over financial reasons.

This might be a career move to get traction on those projects again. If he has a hit blockbuster l, he would be able to do whatever he wants. He's had a really great career but he's doesn't have the hit tentpoles movie. Alien 3 was a disaster and Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was a great movie but lost a lot of money.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 06:14 PM)
Girl with a Dragon Tattoo was a mirror copy of the original in English, that isn't a good movie

If the original of Dragon Tattoo is a good movie and the Fincher version is a mirror copy, wouldn't that be a good movie too?

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 06:20 PM)
I love DF but Dragon tattoo was not good and Benjamin Button was dull. Panic Room needs more love.

I still think Alien 3 was fine.

I like Benjamin Button a lot, not among my favorite of his films but I appreciate how different it is in context to everything else that he's done.

To each their own.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Aug 11, 2016 -> 06:46 PM)
If the original of Dragon Tattoo is a good movie and the Fincher version is a mirror copy, wouldn't that be a good movie too?

I like Benjamin Button a lot, not among my favorite of his films but I appreciate how different it is in context to everything else that he's done.

To each their own.

If I copy painted a Van Gogh painting, would that make me a good artist? No, it would make me a copy cat. The original was good, the remake was unnecessary and offered nothing new except the english language. If it was good, they would have made the rest of the movies.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)
If I copy painted a Van Gogh painting, would that make me a good artist? No, it would make me a copy cat. The original was good, the remake was unnecessary and offered nothing new except the english language. If it was good, they would have made the rest of the movies.

That Gus Van Sant shot by shot remake of Psycho was one of the greatest thrillers of all time!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 12, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)

Good movies don't guarantee sequels, money does. That film went up against some good competition during the holiday season that year and was R Rated, so it had a hard time at the BO.

If Finher makes WWZ2 and it's a hit, he'll be able to make the sequel to GWTDT.

The American version is not a shot for shot remake of the Swedish film, like Gus Van Sant's Psycho. It's just another (faithful) adaptation of the book but it's different from the Swedish version. This is where auteur theory comes into play, you give two directors the same book to adapt, you're going to get two different movies, it's only human nature.

I know everyone likes Rotten Tomatoes, it's got an 86% there and is certified fresh and I think metacritic has it labeled universally acclaimed. Not to mention, all the accolades the film got. If you didnt like it that's cool but it wasn't a bad movie.

Edited by Joshua Strong