**2016 TV Watercooler Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 09:07 AM)
The second episode of The X-Files last night was great. Much like the original run, it was a standalone case while the overall series plot line was referenced. Mulder and Scully easily fell back into their banter, complete with Mulder's dry, sarcastic comments. It's a shame there are only four more episodes. Hopefully they'll bring it back again next season.

I agree. From the opening scene, it was a real return to form, and could have fit in well within any past season.

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The second episode of The X-Files last night was great. Much like the original run, it was a standalone case while the overall series plot line was referenced. Mulder and Scully easily fell back into their banter, complete with Mulder's dry, sarcastic comments. It's a shame there are only four more episodes. Hopefully they'll bring it back again next season.

Yep. The first episode got some mediocre reviews, but after watching that one you could tell it was just to set things up. This episode was more of what we want, a stand alone that ties in to a bigger picture, like you said. Good character development, too.

Have only caught 1.5 of the 2 episodes thus far, but agree that the 2nd episode totally hooked me. In that said, you needed the 1st episode to put everything back. Loved that they stuck with the retro intro. I truly hope this isn't one and done.

Episode 3 is supposed to be the high water mark of the series. Have to imagine they'll bring it back because how popular this run is.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
Loved that they stuck with the retro intro.

Yes! I geeked out when I saw the graininess of it.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 04:18 PM)
Episode 3 is supposed to be the high water mark of the series. Have to imagine they'll bring it back because how popular this run is.

I actually hope they keep it to shorter seasons, more British in style. They don't need to do 24-episode seasons anymore. We have 200+ episodes already. Just do the best storylines you have. We don't need filler at this point. The 6-episode run gives them a chance to do a larger arc while staying on point and throwing in a couple stand alones (which were usually the best ones). Maybe limit it to 12-episode seasons.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 02:34 PM)
Yes! I geeked out when I saw the graininess of it.

I actually hope they keep it to shorter seasons, more British in style. They don't need to do 24-episode seasons anymore. We have 200+ episodes already. Just do the best storylines you have. We don't need filler at this point. The 6-episode run gives them a chance to do a larger arc while staying on point and throwing in a couple stand alones (which were usually the best ones). Maybe limit it to 12-episode seasons.

Fully agree with your point on shorter season. Make sure you get quality. 6 is tough cause it almost doesn't feel like enough, 12 might be a little on the long side. I feel like 8-10 is perfect. Ensures every episode is quality while still being able to follow the greater arc. I honestly had forgotten how original this show was and when I saw the initial intro fire up (I haven't watched xfiles since I saw the last of the movies years ago) and it instantly brought me back to when I was a little kid and would watch the show in its earliest years(and sometimes it would cause me difficulty sleeping, haha...parents, what the hell were you thinking). Freaking show aired when I was 10 years old....unbelievable.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 07:11 PM)
Fully agree with your point on shorter season. Make sure you get quality. 6 is tough cause it almost doesn't feel like enough, 12 might be a little on the long side. I feel like 8-10 is perfect. Ensures every episode is quality while still being able to follow the greater arc. I honestly had forgotten how original this show was and when I saw the initial intro fire up (I haven't watched xfiles since I saw the last of the movies years ago) and it instantly brought me back to when I was a little kid and would watch the show in its earliest years(and sometimes it would cause me difficulty sleeping, haha...parents, what the hell were you thinking). Freaking show aired when I was 10 years old....unbelievable.

I've been rewatching on Netflix for the past couple months. I haven't gone full binge mode, I'm almost done with the first season. It really does bring back how fantastic the show was. So many good stories.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 11:03 PM)
It was already renewed for a season 2 today.

It is interesting but tough to understand everything if you aren't in that business world

I thought it would be more of a faster paced style like Wallstreet or Wolf of Wallstreet. I don't really follow some things. Just kinda drags for me.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 27, 2016 -> 06:28 AM)
I thought it would be more of a faster paced style like Wallstreet or Wolf of Wallstreet. I don't really follow some things. Just kinda drags for me.

It doesn't know what type of show it wants to be yet. The extended dog s*** scene early on was unnecessary to prove Rhoads' brand of righteousness, if that's what it was going for. And there's too many sorta peripheral characters too soon. Sometimes feels like it's try too hard, also. The "ass to mouth" scene comes to mind.

I like it so far, but it needs to tighten up.