**2016 TV Watercooler Thread**

Brian

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 11, 2016 -> 11:59 PM)
I am so bad at remembering what happened on previous seasons of shows. Anybody want to give a quick summary of Mr. Robot (Season 1)?

Edit: Nevermind, found a video. For those interested: Mr. Robot Season 1 Recap

Decoded also did a good job of tying up season 1, and giving a sneak peak into season 2, along with some good interviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BbTUASfrAI

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 08:55 AM)
Yeah I thought The Night Of was very entertaining and it got my girl locked in to when she usually doesn't like shows like that. I wonder if they're going for the whole trial thing and that's going to be the basis for the show. That seems to be really popular right now with all the OJ stuff going on.

The Night Of was a very solid premiere, will definitely continue to watch. Liked the pacing. I could see how the main character may start to get on my nerves, though. Hope that doesn't happen.

Re: Vinyl. I liked it, but overall I was disappointed because it could have been so much better. Note for future HBO shows: You can demonstrate a pervasive drug culture without the main charcter snorting coke in literally every scene.

Re: Silicon Valley. This season wasn't as good as the first two. The first season was good, but that season's finale was one of the funniest episodes of television I've seen. Season 2 was very good. This season was a bit flat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2016 -> 12:02 AM)
That was a hell of a start for Mr Robot. Rami Malek is freaking awesome as an actor, and they really opened up a lot of doors for the next season. Hopefully it keeps flying high.

Yeah - this show is perfection.

Anyone see that 30 for 30 with Gooden and Strawberry? Those guys were pretty messed up. It looks like Strawberry might have his life together now. Gooden looks gaunt and horrible. Couldn't stop swallowing and couldn't sit still. Looks like he still has a bad problem.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 08:59 AM)
Anyone see that 30 for 30 with Gooden and Strawberry? Those guys were pretty messed up. It looks like Strawberry might have his life together now. Gooden looks gaunt and horrible. Couldn't stop swallowing and couldn't sit still. Looks like he still has a bad problem.

I caught bits and pieces. Those documentaries just are awesome to watch

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 11:26 PM)
The Night Of was a very solid premiere, will definitely continue to watch. Liked the pacing. I could see how the main character may start to get on my nerves, though. Hope that doesn't happen.

Re: Vinyl. I liked it, but overall I was disappointed because it could have been so much better. Note for future HBO shows: You can demonstrate a pervasive drug culture without the main charcter snorting coke in literally every scene.

Re: Silicon Valley. This season wasn't as good as the first two. The first season was good, but that season's finale was one of the funniest episodes of television I've seen. Season 2 was very good. This season was a bit flat.

Re: Vinyl. I think it got caught up in itself. I think Jagger and Scorcese got confused about the medium.

Having Mic Jagger tell you about a story of him and lou reed tying one on driving around new york with chelsea models everywhere would be entertianing to hear. But it's really not that entertaining to watch. They also shouldn't have actually shown the music of the nasty bits and other fake characters. Like, yeah the music you are creating is not going to have the impact of the culture shaking music of the times.

It would have been better if they had alluded to but didn't focus on all of the actual acts of the time. It just seemed like some dude name dropping for hours.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2016 -> 10:02 PM)
That was a hell of a start for Mr Robot. Rami Malek is freaking awesome as an actor, and they really opened up a lot of doors for the next season. Hopefully it keeps flying high.

So is Elliott in prison or a mental institution?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 15, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
So is Elliott in prison or a mental institution?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 16, 2016 -> 12:50 AM)
Are you talking about the routine he is going through?

I gathered that his routine was self-driven. Living with his mom, staying away from electronics, keeping the journal. He said he was living with his mom because she was the strictest person and that would help him.

On another note, what a premiere. The show is about as good as it gets.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 07:00 AM)
No something is up. You don't see his mom the whole time. The lunch scenes looked more like a cafeteria. This is something with the unreliable narrator again.

Yeah, you guys are probably on to something. The ritual. The odd friends he doesn't like. People checking on him in his room. Not having a computer or internet access. Isolation.

I'm intrigued where night of goes: does it go to court, using the testimony for flashbacks? Do they start investigating independently? I can't imagine they box themselves in too much (court procedural) but I was surprised how much they focused on his journey to jail.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 08:15 AM)
I'm intrigued where night of goes: does it go to court, using the testimony for flashbacks? Do they start investigating independently? I can't imagine they box themselves in too much (court procedural) but I was surprised how much they focused on his journey to jail.

I think the show is more about the procedure. Very The Wire-esque. I think they want to show us the doldrums of the process, the complacency of the system, etc. I'm loving it.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 01:20 AM)
Stranger Things needs to be talked about more. Of all the things Netflix has done that have gotten buzz, this one actually deserves it. It's a great mystery/scifi set in the 80s.

I just watched this the other day and I thought it was very well done. Can't wait for the next season

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 18, 2016 -> 12:56 PM)
I think the show is more about the procedure. Very The Wire-esque. I think they want to show us the doldrums of the process, the complacency of the system, etc. I'm loving it.

I liked the way it depicted the jail/prison sequences. Gritty.

I wonder if they're going to entertain other specific suspects, or stick to the gray of generally wondering whether it was Nasir at all.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2016 -> 06:22 AM)
I dont know why, but I love Below Deck Med

Is it going on right now? It is about the only reality show I can watch these days (gotten tired of them), but the characters on below deck tend to crack my wife and I up (and I have some extra appreciation for it since they are actually working hard in the midst of it all).

Note: I forgot Deadliest catch, which I'll watch anytime I'm on a flight.