**2016 TV Watercooler Thread**

Brian

One thing I still don't get re Westworld:

Delores killed Arnold, I guess before the park even opened. Then she's back in the park during the 2nd timeline when William/MIB is getting started, and then she's also STILL in the park in the present timeline when MIB is running around and Maeve is starting her revolution.

Why, exactly? Why is she allowed back given that she killed her creator? I guess it's still possible that Ford had her do it, but I got the feeling that Arnold lost control of the hosts and that was his downfall.

And i've been saying it for weeks, but it's still lame that Delores gained consciousness 30 year prior, killed Arnold, and then reverted back to being a mindless Host until the current timeline.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)

Delores killed Arnold, I guess before the park even opened. Then she's back in the park during the 2nd timeline when William/MIB is getting started, and then she's also STILL in the park in teh present time when MIB is running around.

Why, exactly? Why is she allowed back given that she killed her creator? I guess it's still possible that Ford had her do it, but I got the feel that Arnold lost control of the hosts and that was his downfall, according to Ford.

And i've been saying it for weeks, but it's still lame that Delores gained consciousness 30 year prior, killed Arnold, and then reverted back to being a mindless Host until the current timeline.

I think it is pretty clear that Ford is behind it. Pretty much everything you are questioning. I think Ford is very much against any sort of sentience, because he then loses all control. Arnold wanted the sentience, Ford did not, Ford possibly had Dolores kill him to prove that Arnolds programming was inferior? To gain all control? whatever it is, Arnold was doing something Ford did not like and it cost him

One thing about Ford is that he seems 100% confident that what he is doing is both correct and infallible. He has backdoors written into everything. he doesnt expect Dolores to rebel again, when Bernard tried to corner him, he played bernard like a fiddle. I dont think he would worry one bit about resetting Dolores and sending her back into westworld, because he wouldnt think that would come back to bite him

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)

One thing about Ford is that he seems 100% confident that what he is doing is both correct and infallible. He has backdoors written into everything. he doesnt expect Dolores to rebel again, when Bernard tried to corner him, he played bernard like a fiddle. I dont think he would worry one bit about resetting Dolores and sending her back into westworld, because he wouldnt think that would come back to bite him

On the other hand, he's had Maeve mounting a rebellion without him knowing. I don't think he has the total control he claims, especially in older Hosts made be Arnold.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)

On the other hand, he's had Maeve mounting a rebellion without him knowing. I don't think he has the total control he claims, especially in older Hosts made be Arnold.

The question is does he know that he does not have that control ? there are still a lot of questions yet to be answered

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)

Delores killed Arnold, I guess before the park even opened. Then she's back in the park during the 2nd timeline when William/MIB is getting started, and then she's also STILL in the park in the present timeline when MIB is running around and Maeve is starting her revolution.

Why, exactly? Why is she allowed back given that she killed her creator? I guess it's still possible that Ford had her do it, but I got the feeling that Arnold lost control of the hosts and that was his downfall.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 02:13 AM)

One thing I do want to see them explain is how the hell they showed how primitive and rough the original hosts were, yet Dolores looks and acts/moves the same way 30 years later. And why was she not decommissioned or recasted if she killed Arnold and/or became sentient?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 05:03 PM)
The question is does he know that he does not have that control ? there are still a lot of questions yet to be answered

I think we have a Matrix thing going on here. Westworld is kind of like Zion and Delores is like Neo. She will continue to go through this loop until something happens that activates some embedded code that Arnold programmed as a backdoor. But she has to do it herself. Maybe that's the maze the MIB is looking for? Not sure, but it sure is fun.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 27, 2016 -> 09:01 PM)
Shameless:

So Svetlana is stealing from the Alibi right? Like Andy in shawshank while doing the books?

Just a thought.

I think she is just using Kevin and V and put in some kind of paperwork that the bar goes to her if something happens or already changed over ownership somehow.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
I don't know if anyone has watched it on here (I don't even know what channel it is on...happened to stumble on it through prime), but the Night Manager was a fantastic six episode series.

Yes it certainly was. I think I watched it becasue someone on hear recommended it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 29, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)

people have pointed out that delores' story was so brutal (watching your father die every night/being dragged and raped, that it could be seen as punishment.

Being dragged and raped is not part of the storyline. That's just something the MIB did during one of his visits.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
Anyone find it a little weird that williams brother-in-law had an actual photograph of his fiancee? Like, this is way in future and he is carrying around pictures?

No. It seems to me an immersive park experience would not allow the use of cell phones or anything digital.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 07:16 AM)

Being dragged and raped is not part of the storyline. That's just something the MIB did during one of his visits.

I thought there were multiple references that her character design was a way for guests to have "fun" with the pure farmer's daughter in a rape & raid quest? We also don't know what the MiB did, some speculation that he cut her open to see if she was "upgraded" or still all mechanical.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 1, 2016 -> 08:42 AM)

I thought there were multiple references that her character design was a way for guests to have "fun" with the pure farmer's daughter in a rape & raid quest? We also don't know what the MiB did, some speculation that he cut her open to see if she was "upgraded" or still all mechanical.

Yeah I like that theory. Rape is presumed but not shown.

I've also heard a theory that he had to do something truly awful to her, like some kind of torture, in order to "snap her out of it" and get her to become "conscious" again. Makes sense given that all of the other hosts have something horribly traumatic happen that triggers their memory recall. One theory went so far as to say the whole show is a love story between William and Delores and he has spent 30 years trying to get to the point where he can "free" her so they could be together. When he decided to go truly bad and killed Maeve and her daughter and saw that she was "real" for a moment, that made it click that he could get Delores back by doing something similar. Seems unlikely - and I don't know how that fits with his quest to find the end of the maze - but it's interesting.

If anyone needs a good podcast for the show check out Bald Move. I listened to those guys for their Game of Thrones recaps and they're very lengthy and in depth. Usually 2+ hours for Westworld shows and they go through each scene and dissect potential theories. Good stuff.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 30, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
I don't know if anyone has watched it on here (I don't even know what channel it is on...happened to stumble on it through prime), but the Night Manager was a fantastic six episode series. Again, absolutely fantastic.

I was OBSESSED.