Sox Claim OF Daniel Fields off Waivers from Dodgers

shysocks

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
With the roster as constructed now, if Avi is on the bench, who is starting in the OF?

Its not "as currently constructed", but I'd be floored if the Sox didn't acquire a starting caliber outfielder in some manner before the start of the season.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)
He's like Trayce lite. Lots of walks and K's, speed, good defense. But Fields had a lot of injuries over the years too, didn't show as much power as Thompson, and struck out more in AAA. Not in Detroit T30 from the two lists I saw, and Detroit's system isn't that good.

I'd go more with Jordan Danks for a comp in terms of ceiling and type of player.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
So between him, Sands and Olt, who would be most likely to be the 25th man? Or does anyone think as of now, Sanchez is the platoon guy with LaRoche (keeping Frazier at third or moving Lawrie to third with other DHing)? Obviously I know they aren't done with the starting lineup or bench but it's a hypothetical season starts tomorrow scenario.

Shuck will almost certainly be the 4th OF.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)
Not nearly that good, though similar in some ways. This isn't a significant prospect. I mean, the Tigers DFA'd him.

Well I'm referring to minor league Trayce Thompson, not 2015 major league Thompson that looked quite good and may have turned a page.

Thompson was a .241 minor leaguer to Field's .244, same age, similar OBPs, similar SB totals, both with very strong defense. Trayce has shown much better power though.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
Fun fact: He's played in one major league game...for the Tigers.

He replaced....wait for it....Yoenis Cespedes.

Another fun fact, this guy has a career OPS higher than Cespedes, Gordon, and Upton. Genius move by Hahn.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2016/1/10/1074...-the-tigers-had

Good follow-up article on Fields, with some tongue-in-cheek comments.

Interesting to see the Indians are pursuing Juan Uribe and the Dodgers potentially have 10-11 starting pitchers, haha.

The main reason for clicking on the article was "terrerobytes" in the URL, any connection to OF Luis Terrero has to be humorous, it's a given.

Edited by caulfield12

• 1 month later...

This was a write-up on Fields from Kiley McDaniel back in 2014:http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-top-10-prospects-detroit-tigers/:

The Year in Review: Fields finally got the hang of Double-A in his second go-around in the league. He hit .284 with a .791 OPS but his struggles against left-handers (.684 vs .840 OPS against RHP) took a bite out of his overall results. He stole 24 bases in 31 attempts

The Scouting Report: A curious decision to rush Fields’ development early in his career almost permanently derailed his MLB dreams. The young hitter rebounded well in 2013. He flashes average or better power to go along with 15 stolen base potential. Fields continues to strike out way too much to hit for a consistent average in the Majors and his struggles against southpaws could force him into a platoon role. Defensively, he’s played a lot of centre field but is probably more of a corner outfielder in the Majors due to his solid — but not exceptional — range.

The Year Ahead: Fields will move up Triple-A in 2014 and, if he continues to improve, he may be one of the first outfielders promoted to the Majors in the event of an injury.

The Career Outlook: The young prospect has to be commended for staying with it and not giving up or getting too frustrated with his lack of development. With that said, he has a lot of work to do against lefties to become a future regular.

He's still only 25. If he can play average-above average defense in CF, I'd rather have him as the 4th OF than Shuck. Shuck isn't good in CF. I'd also rather have the LHB on the bench that hits well vs RHP. Shuck is better vs LHP. Fields is a little interesting. I kind of just glossed over this claim before. He's probably bad but guys with power/speed combo like this are always worth the flyer.

Edited by Y2JImmy0