Dexter Fowler as a secondary option

blackmooncreeping

If the White Sox gave up the pick, they still would have their regular entire draft. I've really never thought much about Fowler becoming a White Sox, but what are the chances that pick turns out better than Dexter Fowler?

As much as signing Fowler would be a blah type move for me, the surrendering of the pick wouldn't outrage me. You basically would have traded Shark for Fowler.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
Continually giving up draft picks for minor upgrades isn't the way this organization will sustain success. Fowler would improve the team. Hell, it may even be enough to put this team in contention. But giving up 3 draft picks in the last 2 years with a bad farm system isn't a good recipe. It sucks actually.

How is it any different than trading two top 10 prospects for a 2 year rental, though? That's how I look at it.

Fowler is more than a minor upgrade, especially when Avi has never been above a replacement level player.

Yes, he's not going to have the power, but he consistently gets on base, has good speed & improves the overall lineup. There's also no chance he can be any worse defensively than Avi.

It sucks to give up a draft pick but as most have mentioned, the caliber of pick isn't anything overly special.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
If the White Sox gave up the pick, they still would have their regular entire draft. I've really never thought much about Fowler becoming a White Sox, but what are the chances that pick turns out better than Dexter Fowler?

As much as signing Fowler would be a blah type move for me, the surrendering of the pick wouldn't outrage me. You basically would have traded Shark for Fowler.

I've explained multiple times how it's not just about the player picked at #26 or whatever it ends up being. It's about the flexibility that having those high picks allows. It's a half-measure. They do this s*** all the time though so nobody should be surprised if it happens again. With that being said, Fowler is a giant improvement from Avisail and the team should be much better this season as a whole.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
I've explained multiple times how it's not just about the player picked at #26 or whatever it ends up being. It's about the flexibility that having those high picks allows. It's a half-measure. They do this s*** all the time though so nobody should be surprised if it happens again. With that being said, Fowler is a giant improvement from Avisail and the team should be much better this season as a whole.

Like we've talked about before, this would be a total Sox move. At this point, we just have to accept that this is how the team will be ran. Frustrating but all we can do is hope it translates into wins.

Although Fowler has his warts, he does bring a high OBP, speed, switch hitting (would be the 4th for the Sox), and some ability (certainly more than Garcia) to play adequate defense in any OF position. It really huts to be giving up a pick for him, but if they could combine a Fowler acquisition with a RH starter, then we would be substantially better than last year, and would certainly be able to contend within the division. Maybe I am just rationalizing at this point ...

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
Although Fowler has his warts, he does bring a high OBP, speed, switch hitting (would be the 4th for the Sox), and some ability (certainly more than Garcia) to play adequate defense in any OF position. It really huts to be giving up a pick for him, but if they could combine a Fowler acquisition with a RH starter, then we would be substantially better than last year, and would certainly be able to contend within the division. Maybe I am just rationalizing at this point ...

Fowler alone doesn't do much to move the needle. Fowler and a pitcher would be great, assuming the dollars work for the Sox. Not sure of the quality of pitcher you're going to get that doesn't also have a QO attached to him tho...

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)

I'm with you on this one. Fowler, a RH starter, and wait to see how the Cespedes/Upton (i prefer Yo) market plays out in the next few weeks given all the OF trade talk. If Cespedes' camp accepts a 3/4 year deal, perhaps we can get both and still only give up that comp pick. Not bad.

This is apparently what's left, I did QOs I knew of off memory:

Bronson Arroyo (39)

Chad Billingsley (31)

Joe Blanton (35)

Mark Buehrle (37)

Chris Capuano (37)

Doug Fister (32)

Yovani Gallardo (30)*

Jeremy Guthrie (37)

Aaron Harang (38)

Josh Johnson (32)

Ian Kennedy (31)*

Mat Latos (28)

Cliff Lee (37)

Tim Lincecum (32)

Kyle Lohse (37)

Cory Luebke (31)

Shaun Marcum (34)

Justin Masterson (31)

Mike Minor (28)

Wandy Rodriguez (37)

Alfredo Simon (35)

Eric Stults (36)

Randy Wolf (39)

Jerome Williams (34)

Just as comparison:

Player A:

2014- .273/.305, 35 doubles, 15hr, 74rbi, 81ko's, 24bb

2015- .249/.285, 33 doubles, 10hr, 62rbis, 68ko's, 31bb

Player B:

2014- .276/.375, 21 doubles, 8hr, 35rbi, 108ko's, 66bb

2015- .250/.346, 29 doubles, 17hr, 46rbi, 154ko's, 84bb

Player is A is Alexei, B is obviously Fowler.

I don't know. When I hear both may be close to signing, one for probably 2 years and maybe 16mm and the other is probably going to get like 3 years 42mm?

Also, one would be replacing Saladino, in what I think is pretty obviously our biggest hole in the offense (though solid D) and the other would be replacing our 3rd biggest hole in our offense (2nd being Catcher)

I just think if this is my pocketbook I am going with Alexei. Also doesn't cost a pick.

Fowler to me is such a Sox move though. If you are going to breakout the checkbook Jerry, break it out. Don't spend $45mm on Fowler. Spend $85mm on Cespedes. There's a reason he's worth more.

Also haven't watched a ton of Fowler but he doesn't really rate out as the best OF by dWar

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
Just as comparison:

Player A:

2014- .273/.305, 35 doubles, 15hr, 74rbi, 81ko's, 24bb

2015- .249/.285, 33 doubles, 10hr, 62rbis, 68ko's, 31bb

Player B:

2014- .276/.375, 21 doubles, 8hr, 35rbi, 108ko's, 66bb

2015- .250/.346, 29 doubles, 17hr, 46rbi, 154ko's, 84bb

Player is A is Alexei, B is obviously Fowler.

I don't know. When I hear both may be close to signing, one for probably 2 years and maybe 16mm and the other is probably going to get like 3 years 42mm?

Also, one would be replacing Saladino, in what I think is pretty obviously our biggest hole in the offense (though solid D) and the other would be replacing our 3rd biggest hole in our offense (2nd being Catcher)

I just think if this is my pocketbook I am going with Alexei. Also doesn't cost a pick.

Fowler to me is such a Sox move though. If you are going to breakout the checkbook Jerry, break it out. Don't spend $45mm on Fowler. Spend $85mm on Cespedes. There's a reason he's worth more.

Also haven't watched a ton of Fowler but he doesn't really rate out as the best OF by dWar

Fowler was a 3 win players and actually graded out as his best defensive year last year on fangraphs

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 08:11 PM)
He's said that all offseason.

Funny how him and Hayes (Merkin kind of denied it) both defended the type of player Fowler is. They didn't say anything was going to happen but talked about his OBP being great and being a good fit.

Yep, noticed that with Hayes today

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
QO aside, the last thing we need is another strikeout-prone, poor defensive player.

A 22% K-rate is above average, but I wouldn't necessarily call it "strikeout-prone". And we didn't strikeout that much in 2015, and that didn't help much. Agree about the defense though.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 08:16 PM)
I like the other stats, but that's a ton of K's for a 2 hitter. Roughly almost one-third of his AB's were either a walk or K, wow, seems odd.

Cubs asked him to be patient, so it raised his walk total while also putting him into more possible strikeout counts

QUOTE (Sockin @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 02:15 PM)
It probably has nothing to do with other moves but is it possible Alexei signing with the Padres indicates the Sox are ready to move on something? I would imagine Alexei went to the Sox and asked if they wanted to match or work something out.

I wouldn't imagine Alexei signing somewhere else effects the time line on any other moves. They've known he was going somewhere else.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
Some of Merkin's twitter replies make it seem like White Sox really don't want to give up comp pick.

Just as the line in that all time great movie Dumb and Dumber, does Merkin's twit mean there's still a chance.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
Who cares how often he strikes out? Every time he strikes out that's at least three pitches he's seen. Better than Avi grounding out 6-3 on a breaking ball on 0-1. Fowlers allure is how often he gets on base. He's patient and works pitchers.

Fowler has finished in the top 20 of the MLB in pitches per plate appearance in back to back seasons.

Strange how people use that when it comes to Fowler, but if it's LaRoche/Dunn/anyone else striking out often, there is no positive.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 14, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
Who cares how often he strikes out? Every time he strikes out that's at least three pitches he's seen. Better than Avi grounding out 6-3 on a breaking ball on 0-1. Fowlers allure is how often he gets on base. He's patient and works pitchers.

Fowler has finished in the top 20 of the MLB in pitches per plate appearance in back to back seasons.

I do remember in Game 4 of the NLCS, Fowler was the last out I think and had a ridiculously long at bat.