Jason Benetti, new Sox home PxP

Heads22

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 12:24 AM)
Here we go.

EDIT: Based on his picture, I thought he would have a high-pitched nerdy voice. But he actually sounds pretty classic. He sounds like someone from mlb.com actually.

Happy for Jason. Great guy and a talented announcer. Hired purely based on his ability but another testament to the team's

willingness to stand at the forefront of equal opportunity regardless of race, religion, politics gender or disability.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 01:04 AM)
Yes?

They seem to have grabbed a guy who is everything Harrelson isnt. Unless you liked the Yaz stories? I didn't. I think you'd be the only one.

This is the video posted in his Twitter bio, by the way: https://youtu.be/9ZlBUglE6Hc

I think you probably could have just stopped at him being 32 as reason enough for a dramatic cut-back on Yaz stories.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 12:53 AM)
Happy for Jason. Great guy and a talented announcer. Hired purely based on his ability but another testament to the team's

willingness to stand at the forefront of equal opportunity regardless of race, religion, politics gender or disability.

I like his work that I've seen / heard. Really glad they hired outside of the Sox family and didn't hire a former player.

Few things looking for. 2).....Enthusiasm (that he has a good home run call) (if you walk away from the TV, that YOU KNOW that something great happened by the excitement in his voice and can't wait to run back to find out what happened) (clutch situations.....is there enough "drive" in his voice and announcing skills as to help get the viewers "jacked" to help really get INTO the game. 2) Is there enough knowledge, experience and respect in the guy, where he doesn't have to keep looking to Stoney for advice on players situations etc. NOT ALL... but to me......announcers that have played the game usually have a better handle on something that they have experienced first hand and that their lives were heavily involved in, rather than someone that just has had an eye view of something. (example. you can draw plans on how to build a house, but unless you actually did the work that was involved in the actual construction of it, there is no way that you can personally feel all that goes into doing it ....and therefore have a better handle on all of its INNER nuances that goes into the actual process of it. If that wasn't true to the case, then MLB channel and all of their programming would not be flooded with announcers that had their heart, soul, and sweat that was put into the game. On a personal side, I hope that I am proved wrong and that this guy does very very well. Because ...yes...there are announcers that are VERY GOOD at what they do, and yet have no clue on which end of the bat to hold, because they never even played the game.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 06:09 AM)
So this guy is doing all Sox home games when Hawk isn't there?

I've never heard his voice before, but damn, he can't be any worse than Swirsky.

Yeah, impossible to judge him just yet, but I like they got a legit PbP guy and he should definitely be better than Swirsky, who got really annoying by the end of his test run.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 06:09 AM)
So this guy is doing all Sox home games when Hawk isn't there?

I've never heard his voice before, but damn, he can't be any worse than Swirsky.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS that is a major major major major major major plus. If Swirsky got the bill.....geez.............I would go out and order a specialized TV and have it programmed to mute the sound and have no closed caption on Sox home games only. When he announced, I didn't know if I was watching a game on TV, or listening to a 5 year old kid in a long car ride with his dad and always asking and pestering him "Hey dad..are we there yet? Are we there yet? How much longer before we are there? Hey dad this.....Hey dad that etc etc etc. I am sure that there were times that Stoney had to be thinking "Swirsky.......Shut the "F" up, get some actual knowledge of the game and then come back and do your job will ya?"