White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
I would absolutely love an Anderson/Danish for Inciarte trade though.

Inciarte would then cause you to be giving away potential HRs in an outfield slot, that wouldve been provided by a different OF in his place

which we cant afford.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 09:21 PM)
Inciarte would then cause you to be giving away potential HRs in an outfield slot, that wouldve been provided by a different OF in his place

which we cant afford.

His defense and speed would make up for the power...which would be coming from the infield anyways

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
His defense and speed would make up for the power...which would be coming from the infield anyways

im just not a fan of eating up OF playing time with non-power guys, because you cant count on IF power. Frazier may not be here even two years. He would be a trade chip if we go south.

If you bring Inciarte in here, he is intended to be here for a very long time. So him and Eaton would be playing together for a long while, not giving us tons of pop.

I also am not sold on Lawrie's HR potential either

If they added Desmond and Jackson and kept Garcia and LaRoche, I think it'd look like this.

vs RHP

1. Eaton LF/RF

2. Cabrera LF/RF

3. Abreu 1B

4. Frazier 3B

5. Desmond SS

6. LaRoche DH

7. Lawrie 2B

8. Avila C

9. Jackson CF

vs LHP

1. Eaton LF/RF

2. Cabrera LF/Rf

3. Abreu 1B

4. Frazier 3B

5. Desmond SS

6. Lawrie 2B

7. Garcia DH

8. Novarro C

9. Jackson

So is the belief that this would only be a 1-year deal? I'd much rather see it be a 2-3 year deal.

I agree. If he's going to be relatively cheap, sign him for 2 years with an option for a third.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
If they added Desmond and Jackson and kept Garcia and LaRoche, I think it'd look like this.

vs RHP

1. Eaton LF/RF

2. Cabrera LF/RF

3. Abreu 1B

4. Frazier 3B

5. Desmond SS

6. LaRoche DH

7. Lawrie 2B

8. Avila C

9. Jackson CF

vs LHP

1. Eaton LF/RF

2. Cabrera LF/Rf

3. Abreu 1B

4. Frazier 3B

5. Desmond SS

6. Lawrie 2B

7. Garcia DH

8. Novarro C

9. Jackson

I will gladly roll with this team.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
Let's just sign Desmond to a multi year deal and move Anderson to the outfield

We need a SS that is good at playing SS. I'd be intrigued with Desmond on a 1 year deal and get out pick back next year, but certainly don't give up on Anderson playing SS for him.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)

which we cant afford.

Why? The Royals hit three more HR's than the Sox last season and they seemed to do OK. People have to let go of their obsession with HR's, usually the guys that hit the most also create the most unproductive outs which makes it more of a negative than a positive. The Royals had 116 more hits and 102 more runs while the Sox gave away 258 more K's and despite having what most consider a superior pitching staff the Sox gave up 60 more runs mostly due to shoddy defense.

This is my thought process as well. Elite CF defense that would move Eaton to LF where Eaton is better suited. Plus, the idea of Enciarte and Eaton setting the table for Abreu and Frazier is soooo tantalizing.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
Why? The Royals hit three more HR's than the Sox last season and they seemed to do OK. People have to let go of their obsession with HR's, usually the guys that hit the most also create the most unproductive outs which makes it more of a negative than a positive. The Royals had 116 more hits and 102 more runs while the Sox gave away 258 more K's and despite having what most consider a superior pitching staff the Sox gave up 60 more runs mostly due to shoddy defense.

People don't have to get rid of their obsession with home runs. The Royals have worked 2 times, power teams have worked a lot more. There are a lot more players capable of hitting a lot of home runs and good defense than "high contact rates with enough power to be passable". The Royals are a unique team, it's a lot easier to not recreate them.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)

Isn't the Royal's stadium a big factor in this consideration? The home run stats for Kaufman vs. the Cell are difficult to compare.

Opponents are going to hit homers at the Cell, even with good pitching. I don't think that the Sox can have very limited power, and still win, in their ball park.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 22, 2016 -> 05:00 PM)
Isn't the Royal's stadium a big factor in this consideration? The home run stats for Kaufman vs. the Cell are difficult to compare.

Opponents are going to hit homers at the Cell, even with good pitching. I don't think that the Sox can have very limited power, and still win, in their ball park.

That's definitely true.

Ian Kennedy is never signed by the White Sox. PetCo, shockingly, was the 10th best hr park last year and Kauffman was around 25th. USCF is almost always in the top five to seven, even when you account for our own offense going south in recent years power-wise.

If you do have Enciarte and Eaton (who's unlikely to hit 20 again), you need another consistent 25-35 hr threat in there who is average on defense...say, Justin Upton.