White Sox interested in SS Ian Desmond

caulfield12

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 07:19 AM)
I'm so tired of hearing about posturing, Bob Nightengale, 3-year plans, etc. Let's get spring training started already.

Totally agree with you here!!! After hearing what Nightengale said yesterday about the White Sox having no cash left I wanted to puke and turn off the MLB channel, but am so glad that I kept watching and getting a chance to listen to the debate between Chris Russo and Brian Kenney....that was priceless!!!

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (midway @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
Totally agree with you here!!! After hearing what Nightengale said yesterday about the White Sox having no cash left I wanted to puke and turn off the MLB channel, but am so glad that I kept watching and getting a chance to listen to the debate between Chris Russo and Brian Kenney....that was priceless!!!

The interview by Nightengale is something sox fans need to get through their head. It's on MLB.com to hear it for yourself. When he says "the white sox say they are out of cash" it is a complete lie that is being spun by the sox brass and the media just goes with it. It's not Nightingale who is lying, it is Reinsdorf.

Reinsdorf is swimming in cash and chooses not to spend it. It should not be our role as fans to be fiscal watchdogs....well, maybe we should be watchdogs in the sense that we demand that Reinsdorf SPEND not save money on this team. This has been proclaimed as the small window of opportunity to go for it before JR dies and so far it is a half-arse attempt.

When the half-arse attempt fails, yes, sox can go cheap and blow it up.

QUOTE (Julius @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
The interview by Nightengale is something sox fans need to get through their head. It's on MLB.com to hear it for yourself. When he says "the white sox say they are out of cash" it is a complete lie that is being spun by the sox brass and the media just goes with it. It's not Nightingale who is lying, it is Reinsdorf.

Reinsdorf is swimming in cash and chooses not to spend it. It should not be our role as fans to be fiscal watchdogs....well, maybe we should be watchdogs in the sense that we demand that Reinsdorf SPEND not save money on this team. This has been proclaimed as the small window of opportunity to go for it before JR dies and so far it is a half-arse attempt.

Our role as fiscal watchdogs? Lmao, who gets to tell you how to spend your money? As it stands the sox have a 123M payroll, and you are acting like they have refused to spend a dime.

QUOTE (Julius @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)

Just like they've blown it up so many times in the past 15 years, right?

QUOTE (Julius @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 07:30 PM)

i really like your post, and ref the bold, it can be done by not going to the games. that seems to be the only way to get his attention.

this way, the sox owners will have to go and invest more, instead of the token amount they spend 120 mil.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
i really like your post, and ref the bold, it can be done by not going to the games. that seems to be the only way to get his attention.

this way, the sox owners will have to go and invest more, instead of the token amount they spend 120 mil.

Not sure that is true. Sox attendance has dropped from 24,000+ to 21,000 + the last 5 years. If revenue( TV +) is up and attendance is down there may not be a big enough incentive to spend more money.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 08:21 PM)
Not sure that is true. Sox attendance has dropped from 24,000+ to 21,000 + the last 5 years. If revenue( TV +) is up and attendance is down there may not be a big enough incentive to spend more money.

you may have a point, i think there has to be a fine line there. esp in not max the profit from attendance.....

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)

How much do they have to spend?

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Feb 12, 2016 -> 09:59 PM)
Bucket, if you had to guess, do you see them making another move?

Obviously FAs like Desmond, Fowler, Jackson, etc or even a trade that would fill the void in RF...

I do think they'll add but how impact the bat ends up being is unknown. They still have valued targets out there and they are working on it.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 13, 2016 -> 10:21 PM)
I do think they'll add but how impact the bat ends up being is unknown. They still have valued targets out there and they are working on it.

and then i would definitely be 1 really happy camper.

now all i have to do is wait.

Can anyone here provide a definitive answer to the question: Who is the better fielding SS, Saladino or Desmond, and by what degree?

This thread has over 50 pages, but it seems to contain a lot of conjecture, with no real assessment of the comparative defensive of the two players.

Do the Sox really want to spend money and a draft pick, to acquire a SS, who is not as good defensively as a young, inexpensive rookie,

especially with Anderson waiting in the wings? As has been argued, the middle of the infield defense has probably been downgraded already, with

Lawrie, in place of Sanchez. Downgrading the defense at SS may be to the team's detriment, even if Desmond puts up his career average offensive numbers.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 07:37 AM)
Can anyone here provide a definitive answer to the question: Who is the better fielding SS, Saladino or Desmond, and by what degree?

This thread has over 50 pages, but it seems to contain a lot of conjecture, with no real assessment of the comparative defensive of the two players.

Do the Sox really want to spend money and a draft pick, to acquire a SS, who is not as good defensively as a young, inexpensive rookie,

especially with Anderson waiting in the wings? As has been argued, the middle of the infield defense has probably been downgraded already, with

Lawrie, in place of Sanchez. Downgrading the defense at SS may be to the team's detriment, even if Desmond puts up his career average offensive numbers.

Tough to say, because we haven't seen a lot of Saladino at SS. But he is solid. Desmond will make some spectacular plays and has a really great arm. It's the offensive part of his game that makes Desmond attractive, but you brought up several valid points for not signing Desmond, and I agree.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 14, 2016 -> 06:37 AM)

Saladino is probably the better defender. Desmond is the better player though.