2016 Tennis Thread

Brian

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, there's currently a match-fixing scandal being discussed.

I read something about a match where a player had won the first set and was up a break in the second set. At that moment a very large be came in on the opponent to come back and win. The player who was ahead lost the next 8 games in a row.

I think gambling companies are setting themselves up for this kind of stuff when they give odds and take bets on events in progress.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 10:13 AM)
Yeah waiting for the definitive piece.

I do find it interesting how open the top players were to discussing (Nova)

From what I read in this Deadspin article, it sounds like they know which players are involved, but don't feel comfortable releasing them.

BuzzFeed UK and the BBC have teamed up on an investigation that details major match-fixing evidence in tennis, including by “winners of singles and doubles titles at Grand Slam tournaments.” While the report focuses on 16 players who have ranked in the top 50 with a number matches that had highly suspicious betting patterns, they don’t name any of the suspected cheats, “because without access to phone, bank, or computer records it is not possible to prove a link between the players and the gamblers.” It is worth noting that England has much weaker protections for journalists than the United States, and much stronger libel laws.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 01:11 PM)
Anyone think Marian Cilic is a likely person involved?

I think that'd be too obvious in a Grand Slam final.

Djokovic came out the other day and explicitly said he was offered 200k to throw a match back in 2007.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 12:27 AM)
I think that'd be too obvious in a Grand Slam final.

Djokovic came out the other day and explicitly said he was offered 200k to throw a match back in 2007.

Not saying in a grand slam. Just of recent winners he screams out since he hasnt been insanely successful so more likely to take money.

It's an interesting strategy by simon. Seems to be playing conservative as all hell which you don't really see much by big underdogs. What's very strange is that he wasn't playing well at all until about the 10th or so game in the second set. Tons of unforced errors himself despite being conservative and still took the 2nd.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 01:55 AM)
It's an interesting strategy by simon. Seems to be playing conservative as all hell which you don't really see much by big underdogs. What's very strange is that he wasn't playing well at all until about the 10th or so game in the second set. Tons of unforced errors himself despite being conservative and still took the 2nd.

Yeah, very interesting to watch. But while he is still very much in this match it just doesn't feel like he has quite enough weapons to actually beat Djokovic.

• 1 month later...
Is she getting suspended? I thought she knew she was taking it but wasn't aware it was recently banned.

I still love her. 😊

How did this become a racial thing? A whole segment on ESPN today about how much different the reaction would be if this had been Serena.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 10, 2016 -> 05:46 PM)
How did this become a racial thing? A whole segment on ESPN today about how much different the reaction would be if this had been Serena.

Sounds like ESPN just trying to make another story.

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 27, 2016 -> 09:34 AM)
No Federer, Nadal just withdrew, if there is any time for Djokovic to finally win a French, this would be the year.

French Open snuck up on me this year. Haven't followed much yet.