2016 Tennis Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 3, 2016 -> 07:53 AM)
Isner in another marathon match at Wimbledon. Fitting it's against Tsonga. 2 guys who are middle of the rankings forever and haven't taken that net step to the top.

5 years ago, I would've guessed Tsonga would be up there with Djokovic and Nadal.

Tsonga's played his share of marathons as well. I was there for the match he played against Querrey in '14 over two days. It was 14-12 in the fifth, though due to the fact that both of those guys have giant serves it was "only" 3h39m

I see what you mean on Tsonga/Isner, though I kind of think Isner has done what you could expect of him. There isn't a proven record of college guys coming through and becoming elite top-ten types. I think it's still just the one Masters final (Indian Wells in '12; it's he beat Djokovic in the semis and that's what launched him into the top ten) and the one major quarterfinal at the USO in '11. On tour I'd argue he's performed to expectations: 10 titles is actually fairly high for what his ranking has typically been, though 8(!) of those have been at US-based tournaments where the fields aren't always to the same standard as 250s elsewhere.

Tsonga? I guess on a whole he has underperformed. Easy to forget he made his maiden major final at the same tournament Djokovic did in Oz in '08. Since then he's made a handful of semis, at least, and was ranked #5 for a time and has won a couple of Masters. In the end I think he's just another example of a guy who was unlucky to be playing in this era. The dominance of the big four is staggering compared to previous eras when even guys like Sampras didn't compete for titles each and every week. over the years you'd see "random" slam winners all the time. Not so much in this era. If you'd asked me three years or so ago, I'd've told you that while the big four were clearly ahead of everyone else guys like Tsonga, Ferrer, Berdych and Delpo were clearly in that next tier with separation from the pack. Tsonga's been in and out since then, Ferrer finally dropped off while Berdych is the same guy as ever. Of course Delpo has had his injuries and Stan broke into that their out of nowhere, too.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great match between Cilic and Federer. Cilic had him on the brink a few times but Roger has clawed back against 3 match points. Now it's tied at 9 in the tiebreaker

Edit: and we head to a 5th set right when I have to leave for work, damnit

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 6, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)
Never a doubt Roger would comeback after being down 0-2. ANY other men's player would've been done IMO. He's unreal.

It was 3-3 in the 3rd with Roger serving, Cilic was up 0-40. That was his chance, and next thing you know Roger won it 6-3. Three match points in the 4th set too.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 10, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Raonic not providing a very memorable match here

2 sets decided by tiebreak is pretty competitive.

I just don't like Murray though. Didn't have to face Djok. Didn't have to face Fed. And he's a crybaby on the court.

Edited by Brian

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...