2016 Tennis Thread

Brian

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 2, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
I've seen like none of roland garros after the first day. Kind of hoping for Tsonga to get to the final.

Me neither, but I think clay is such a bogus surface that in my mind the French doesn't even count as a major.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 09:28 PM)
Djokovic becomes more and more likeable every tournament. I was never a fan but getting harder to dislike him.

He's always been likable to me. Had fun out there.

I can't get a read on Andy Murray.

Quick, how many titles has Nole won since this board labelled him a choker who fails at the big moments and isn't dominant enough last year? ;)

EDIT: Also, Murray is perfectly likeable off the court. He's thoughtful and I like his politics. On the court is a different story.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 06:47 AM)
Quick, how many titles has Nole won since this board labelled him a choker who fails at the big moments and isn't dominant enough last year? ;)

Yeah. Those dummies look pretty stupid now!

Ahem... :unsure:

EDIT: Also, Murray is perfectly likeable off the court. He's thoughtful and I like his politics. On the court is a different story.

hahahaha

Honestly it kind of annoyed me how as soon as Murray won the US Open originally he was suddenly a part of the "Big 4" label. Obviously he won wimbledon shortly after, but nobody named Wawrinka part of the big 5 when he won the australian open and french.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 06:03 AM)
He's always been likable to me. Had fun out there.

I can't get a read on Andy Murray.

I think my dislike is based on him stealing the crown from Federer, who I'm a big fan of.

Murray seems to fit the perfect stereotype of a little whiny Brit.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
Honestly it kind of annoyed me how as soon as Murray won the US Open originally he was suddenly a part of the "Big 4" label. Obviously he won wimbledon shortly after, but nobody named Wawrinka part of the big 5 when he won the australian open and french.

Murray was part of the "Big Four" long before he finally won the USO. If you compare his consitency at the majors and especially at Masters events and compare him to the rest of the field he was head and shoulders above them.

The Big Four, including Djokovic and Murray, goes back to 2009ish, well before Djokovic became a GOAT contender.

I do think "Big Four" would imply that they were all level, even though it was clear that it was the top three on one tier, then Murray on his own, then a giant gulf after that. Murray had I think close to ten Masters titles and a handful of major finals before he finally won the USO. He had a sizable gap in rankings points over 5 as well.

Stan's results at the majors have massively improved, but the guy has only 14 career titles. He only has one Masters title as well.

Despite having the same number of major titles, Stan is nowhere near the player Murray is. And I like Wawrinka more.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
2 year ban for sharapova. I'd be surprised if she even comes back if that holds.

Such garbage. What she took didn't give her that much of an advantage since she had been taking it long before they banned it, unbeknownst to her.

She's a huge draw on the women's tour as well.

Honestly, I'd rather they err on the harsh punishment. I don't want tennis swirling in these doping and match fixing scandals. Endurance is a big part of tennis, if you are illegally enhancing that, it's not fair.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)

Like someone else said, Murray was included in the Big 4 before he won his first open. He definitely was a step below Federer/Nadal/Djokovic but he also was clearly better than the rest of the field as well. I'm really hoping someone emerges soon in the tennis world as Federer/Nadal are pretty much done or near it.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 1, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
Terrible break for Sam Querrey. He is dominating Djokovic right now up 2 sets to none and the match is suspended for rain.

Novak goes down. Burning through his challenges in that fourth set really cost him.

Isner in another marathon match at Wimbledon. Fitting it's against Tsonga. 2 guys who are middle of the rankings forever and haven't taken that net step to the top.

5 years ago, I would've guessed Tsonga would be up there with Djokovic and Nadal.