OF Options

rhuesmann35

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 05:03 PM)
One thing I want to point out--Sox are already committed for 3+ years to Melky and Eaton. If you lock up another OF right now, you are out of the market for any OF available by trade or FA after the 2016 season. Maybe, once they didn't get Gordon/Cespedes, they decided they like what may be available in a year better than Fowler or Jackson. You can't sign Fowler for 3/$35 and then go and sign somebody else in a year.

but whether they like them or not, that is fowlers or jackson, are they a better option than what they, the sox have at the present???

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 07:39 PM)
I have no idea what they offered, but Bernstein said Fowler wouldn't budge from his demands and signs for 3/$33 million when a couple of days ago the report said he wanted at least $45 million or 4 years. Seems like he budged.

yeah i can see that, i am just wondering if and what is suppose to be the market value.

Supposedly 3 years and $42-48 million...similar to the deal Melky Cabrera signed, at the low side.

Pushed the value down about $10 million because of the QO, so he essentially got a similar deal to Denard Span, whose name has kind of been forgotten as one of the other options we passed on.

Edited by caulfield12

Light em up:

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 4m4 minutes ago Scottsdale, AZ

More KW: "But you have to ask how much the Ferrari costs. We had a lot of great Ferrari ideas, let’s put it that way.”

More KW: "It’s like going down to the Ferrari dealership when you can only afford a Volkswagen. It kind of is what it is in some cases...

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 5m5 minutes ago Scottsdale, AZ

Ken Williams on CWS offseason pursuits: "Listen, we always check in on everyone that is of potential interest. But in some cases …

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
Light em up:

More KW: "But you have to ask how much the Ferrari costs. We had a lot of great Ferrari ideas, let’s put it that way.”

More KW: "It’s like going down to the Ferrari dealership when you can only afford a Volkswagen. It kind of is what it is in some cases...

Ken Williams on CWS offseason pursuits: "Listen, we always check in on everyone that is of potential interest. But in some cases …

LOL just came here to post this. Kenny, just shut the f*** up sometimes.

Laurence Holmes is of the belief that the Sox were never REALLY in on it with the FA's but had the thought of putting it out there that they were so it might look better to fans...which ended up back firing.

I really dont know what to believe. Such a frustrating and strange off season.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)

Im actually realistic enough to realize my fiscal situation and just go to the Volkswagen dealership. But hey, that's just me.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)
Laurence Holmes is of the belief that the Sox were never REALLY in on it with the FA's but had the thought of putting it out there that they were so it might look better to fans...which ended up back firing.

I agree with Holmes

*Walks into dealership*

"Hi, I'm interested in your Ferrari's. I'm prepared to pay you the price of a volkswagon"

*Salesman sells ferrari to man at moderate discount*

"Well maybe my 1997 Ford Taurus will get faster this year"

*Plays chess*

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)

Any offseason in which the Sox acquired basically an entire new infield to go along with their superstar 1b and one of the best 3B in all of baseball doesn't to me seem "frustrating".

I would have liked to see the Sox sign one of Upton, Cespedes or Gordon too. I do think they really wanted Gordon. I was always pretty meh on Fowler, but his deal isn't exactly going to burn you.

The sox want to give Avi one more chance, and I hope it pays off. I also hope they bring in a LHB that can compete with him...Hernandez would be nice if he comes relatively cheaply. The thing that bugs me the most, is that if the Sox are around .500 ish June and in contention, they're going to have to pay alot more for a RF then than would have this offseason. That part bugs me, but I also get why they didn't want to relegate Avi to the bench or AAA just yet.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)

How would that make them look better to fans? Putting that out there seems like it has way more downside than upside.

When the Sox acquired Lawrie and then Frazier it had us fans jumping on the bus ready for a ride down State street where all these all stars where waiting to be picked up. That is what had us come along for the ride and be excited. Then they just kept passing up guys one by one and then stopping without opening the doors and before you realize what was going on we were driving in Englewood picking up old pimps.

I dont know what I am trying to say, but damn.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 10:30 PM)
Light em up:

man this guy really know how to f*** up a situation even further.

the owners reminds me of a miserly, penny pitching people who wants to count their money ..... instead of just going for it once.

this has vindicated me and my rants, but to be honest, i would rather have been wrong and have many call me out for being wrong on the owners. the owners gave up on the fans, if they were ever for the fans of the sox in the first place. instead of means to getting wealthy.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
When the Sox acquired Lawrie and then Frazier it had us fans jumping on the bus ready for a ride down State street where all these all stars where waiting to be picked up. That is what had us come along for the ride and be excited. Then they just kept passing up guys one by one and then stopping without opening the doors and before you realize what was going on we were driving in Englewood picking up old pimps.

I dont know what I am trying to say, but damn.

Many of us know what you are saying and mean and many of us felt the same.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 24, 2016 -> 11:15 PM)
Any offseason in which the Sox acquired basically an entire new infield to go along with their superstar 1b and one of the best 3B in all of baseball doesn't to me seem "frustrating".

I would have liked to see the Sox sign one of Upton, Cespedes or Gordon too. I do think they really wanted Gordon. I was always pretty meh on Fowler, but his deal isn't exactly going to burn you.

The sox want to give Avi one more chance, and I hope it pays off. I also hope they bring in a LHB that can compete with him...Hernandez would be nice if he comes relatively cheaply. The thing that bugs me the most, is that if the Sox are around .500 ish June and in contention, they're going to have to pay alot more for a RF then than would have this offseason. That part bugs me, but I also get why they didn't want to relegate Avi to the bench or AAA just yet.

ok i can see that it appears that you are looking at the golden side of this offseason.

but while i can look at that, i can be very honest about it, who screwed up this team in the first place??? this took yrs of incompetence of someone at the helm, was this all kw, maybe was this all the owners fault??? yes. why, the buck stops with them.

Avi, yes, try in new swing with best situation, platooning at the dh, while having a better defensive of'er manning the position. let him get comfortable hitting and then see what the sox have in him.