OF Options

rhuesmann35

Not necessarily promising:

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 3m3 minutes ago Scottsdale, AZ

One more from Hahn, and not in today's story: "Whether it’s trade or free agent that we feel is going to get us better, I feel like ...

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 2m2 minutes ago Scottsdale, AZ

Hahn: "..we were aggressively involved until it became clear it wasn’t going to work out, that they were going to wind up somewhere else."

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 09:45 PM)
Truly, truly surprised that going into the offseason with zero flexibility to increase payroll, they decided to go for it instead of offload some key pieces and look for value.

To me, it also means their attempts to get the big outfielders was more for public perception than anything else.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
To me, it also means their attempts to get the big outfielders was more for public perception than anything else.

Exactly how I take it, which pisses me off.

Why try & go for it when you're that strapped?

It's not like we can say "It's not Hahn's fault that they don't have money", when he signed two extremely stupid deals last year that have hurt them this year.

If they fail, they need to clean house. This is such a poorly run organization, it's borderline embarrassing being a fan sometimes.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 08:51 PM)
Exactly how I take it, which pisses me off.

Why try & go for it when you're that strapped?

It's not like we can say "It's not Hahn's fault that they don't have money", when he signed two extremely stupid deals last year that have hurt them this year.

If they fail, they need to clean house. This is such a poorly run organization, it's borderline embarrassing being a fan sometimes.

I've said this before, and some have challenged it, but Hahn has been a disappointment so far as GM. If this team struggles again, it's time to move on from him and Ventura. Hahn has put a bunch of junk on the field so far while seeing the farm system continue to be mediocre. Lucky for him that the draft slotting system changed, or who knows what they would have drafted instead of Rodon.

They offered Fowler a contract. Man, some people will buy anything. When the Sox talk money, THEY ARE LYING. We get the same story every year. They try to stretch the budget, competitive Uncle Jerry says OK.

The Sox have money for another OF. For the love of God, learn from the past. How many times have they cried poor only to pick up more payroll? A lot more than when they have cried poor and the payroll remained the same or went down.

Besides, if the difference between Avi and another OF is a playoff team vs. a team that wins 78 games, there aren't a lot of teams that can afford that particular guy anyway.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
They offered Fowler a contract. Man, some people will buy anything. When the Sox talk money, THEY ARE LYING. We get the same story every year. They try to stretch the budget, competitive Uncle Jerry says OK.

The Sox have money for another OF. For the love of God, learn from the past. How many times have they cried poor only to pick up more payroll? A lot more than when they have cried poor and the payroll remained the same or went down.

Besides, if the difference between Avi and another OF is a playoff team vs. a team that wins 78 games, there aren't a lot of teams that can afford that particular guy anyway.

Lol - well, at the moment they have the money. They just don't have the other OF.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
Lol - well, at the moment they have the money. They just don't have the other OF.

Laugh all you want, but this is the same story we have received since the you can't spend a dollar if you only have 50 cents routine. They aren't going to tell you they are sitting on a pile of cash. They are going to tell you they are broke. When is the last year the White Sox ever were really trying to be competitive where they didn't say this exact same thing?

I know people like to complain, but the Sox crying poor and John Danks getting lit up on March 4th is really a reach.

Edited by Dick Allen

I can't believe people are that pissed about us not filling every need people wanted filled this off-season. We upgraded 3, probably 4 positions. 3B, 2B, C, and you could probably say SS or DH as another one with the options we have now. It isn't often that teams hit every single need in an off-season.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 10:10 PM)
I can't believe people are that pissed about us not filling every need people wanted filled this off-season. We upgraded 3, probably 4 positions. 3B, 2B, C, and you could probably say SS or DH as another one with the options we have now. It isn't often that teams hit every single need in an off-season.

For me right now, it's the complete lack of any type of security in case Avi and LaRoche continue to be two of the worst players in baseball.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 02:55 PM)

Dick, I don't disagree with you that they couldn't find more money. But, they clearly were not actually able to compete in the FA marketplace as seen by the results. THey were not able to get into competitive bidding wars, and were basically only able to provide below market price contracts. If your plan to improve requires getting below market deals for top pieces on the market, you should re-think your plan. And it did REQUIRE the fa market to upgrade, as we've seen.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
Dick, I don't disagree with you that they couldn't find more money. But, they clearly were not actually able to compete in the FA marketplace as seen by the results. THey were not able to get into competitive bidding wars, and were basically only able to provide below market price contracts. If your plan to improve requires getting below market deals for top pieces on the market, you should re-think your plan. And it did REQUIRE the fa market to upgrade, as we've seen.

All you need to know about Hahn's comments is this, they supposedly stretched the budget for Jimmy Rollins, who, if he sucks in spring training, they owe nothing but the same contract they just gave Loe. It's all just words. Hahn has said they were looking at and needed OF help. He will get one. Just watch, and Uncle Jer will be his competitive self and OK the "stretching of the budget".

I would have loved if they signed any of the FA, including Fowler and Desmond, especially if Desmond could play the OF. But they can still upgrade.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:23 PM)
All you need to know about Hahn's comments is this, they supposedly stretched the budget for Jimmy Rollins, who, if he sucks in spring training, they owe nothing but the same contract they just gave Loe. It's all just words. Hahn has said they were looking at and needed OF help. He will get one. Just watch, and Uncle Jer will be his competitive self and OK the "stretching of the budget".

I would have loved if they signed any of the FA, including Fowler and Desmond, especially if Desmond could play the OF. But they can still upgrade.

However, it's a markedly different tone than after Frazier when he was confident we were exploring upgrades in the OF.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:23 PM)

I am w/ you. I obviously would have loved to see Cespedes or Gordon or Upton, but I am not going to lose sleep over it. Avi is nothing special, but he still has some upside and clearly the Sox aren't ready to cut bait after 1 full season of at bats, and I am OK with that. I'd love to see them add another guy, but I am OK with them giving Avi one more chance, because he could become the type of player you can live with in the OF due to his bat.

It's the lack of direction. You go in or what are you doing? Right now they've made major upgrades, but remain not worthy of contention at this point.

The issue here is, that the FA class, trade possibilities were ripe for the pickings. We had opportunity after opportunity to 'finish the offseason' and have a very complete team, but they continued to pass.

There's still time, but with statements like these, one has to consider the reality that we are done for the offseason.

The amount of OF'rs that passed by us is large and if it is because they couldn't afford the $$$, for this big baseball organization, just seems a bit lame or seems as if they had no real plan.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
Now that the Dodgers have lost one of their lefty starters, Brett Anderson, could this be a chance for a Danks/Ethier trade?

I thought this too, but then I looked at their depth chart. They'll slot in Alex Wood instead. They also have Bolsinger as their 6th starter right now. Danks would be their 7th best pitcher...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 08:55 PM)

the only thing i can think is they are thinking either jerry sands or d fields will step up.

btw, i an wondering on how the ticket sales are going.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 09:23 PM)

as long as it doesn't stretch the budget .....