OF Options

rhuesmann35

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 05:26 PM)
We may disagree on Eric Johnson's potential, but who would replace him if we make that type of trade?

Gardner makes over $13M this year, and is 32 years old. He is a nice player, but does not seem worth that kind of deal.

i really can see a 1 yr fa.... even if it is Latos or a 3 yr from fister.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 05:26 PM)
We may disagree on Eric Johnson's potential, but who would replace him if we make that type of trade?

Gardner makes over $13M this year, and is 32 years old. He is a nice player, but does not seem worth that kind of deal.

any way, the time for looking at a fair deal ended with the last of the big 4 of'ers signing a FA contract.

this is the 2nd tier option.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
If Erik Johnson is enough, I think it would be a good deal. What he's owed over the next couple years would probably be close to what Dexter Fowler would cost. However, I'm not sure the Yankees would think Johnson would be enough.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
dang, it is not going to be enuf, even if the yanks are doing a salary dump.

i would hope to give offer EJ, Beck and Davidson.... power hitter in the yanks park, that might be enticing.

I agree guys, not sure EJ would be enough on his own but maybe adding a reliever could do it. One potential problem I see is that by trading EJ the Sox would have to sign a guy like Latos to replace him. Nothing against Latos but his health is a concern.

I wonder if the Yanks would do EJ + Duke for Gardner?

I still prefer looking into a trade with the Dodgers for Ethier because I think he can be had for less if the Sox are willing to take on a majority of the money he's owed. This way the Sox shouldn't have to give up as much in a trade.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 06:49 PM)
I agree guys, not sure EJ would be enough on his own but maybe adding a reliever could do it. One potential problem I see is that by trading EJ the Sox would have to sign a guy like Latos to replace him. Nothing against Latos but his health is a concern.

I wonder if the Yanks would do EJ + Duke for Gardner?

I still prefer looking into a trade with the Dodgers for Ethier because I think he can be had for less if the Sox are willing to take on a majority of the money he's owed. This way the Sox shouldn't have to give up as much in a trade.

no offense on latos... i never thought of a possible injury, i am thinking along the line of his rep... is he really a clubhouse cancer or not. maybe a 1 yr with a mutual option..... he will need to rebuild his image and the sox will be a win - win situation.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 01:49 PM)
no offense on latos... i never thought of a possible injury, i am thinking along the line of his rep... is he really a clubhouse cancer or not. maybe a 1 yr with a mutual option..... he will need to rebuild his image and the sox will be a win - win situation.

I googled Latos and the only thing I could find negative said about Latos was from Bailey. Seems the problem Latos had with the Reds was more to do with Latos feeling like the training staff rushed him after surgery. Here's a Q & A Rosenthal did with Latos last year after he was traded to Miami. Latos doesn't come off as an asshole at all to me. Perhaps the person to ask about Latos would be Todd Frazier- which I'd imagine the Sox already have if the Sox are interested in Latos.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-ou...ati-reds-022215

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 08:05 PM)
I googled Latos and the only thing I could find negative said about Latos was from Bailey. Seems the problem Latos had with the Reds was more to do with Latos feeling like the training staff rushed him after surgery. Here's a Q & A Rosenthal did with Latos last year after he was traded to Miami. Latos doesn't come off as an asshole at all to me. Perhaps the person to ask about Latos would be Todd Frazier- which I'd imagine the Sox already have if the Sox are interested in Latos.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-ou...ati-reds-022215

you may very well be right, i just remember reading something about him and a suppose rumor involving a team ..... nice find.

but either way, if some team are hesitant of him and as the article i read was giving a possible recourse, they mention a 1 yr deal to show the baseball world he is a good guy..... it should be a win - win situation..... per my opinion.

but then again, what in hades to i know.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
you may very well be right, i just remember reading something about him and a suppose rumor involving a team ..... nice find.

but either way, if some team are hesitant of him and as the article i read was giving a possible recourse, they mention a 1 yr deal to show the baseball world he is a good guy..... it should be a win - win situation..... per my opinion.

but then again, what in hades to i know.

I think we should try to pry Markaikas from Atlanta. I wanted him over Melky last year but he's from Atlanta and wanted to go back home. I think we can get him for Garcia and or some prospects not named, Anderson, Fullmer or Adams. Atlanta is going young and might want to dump the 31 million left on his contract. He has a great on base % and is a upgrade defensively for sure. Plus his 38 doubles more than makes up for his lack of power. just a thought.

Edited by SoxSteve

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
I think we should try to pry Markaikas from Atlanta. I wanted him over Melky last year but he's from Atlanta and wanted to go back home. I think we can get him for Garcia and or some prospects not named, Anderson, Fullmer or Adams. Atlanta is going young and might want to dump the 31 million left on his contract. He has a great on base % and is a upgrade defensively for sure. just a thought.

He has no pop at all in his bat. 3 HR in nearly 700 PAs, not gonna cut it. Might as well play Shuck.

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
I think we should try to pry Markaikas from Atlanta. I wanted him over Melky last year but he's from Atlanta and wanted to go back home. I think we can get him for Garcia and or some prospects not named, Anderson, Fullmer or Adams. Atlanta is going young and might want to dump the 31 million left on his contract. He has a great on base % and is a upgrade defensively for sure. just a thought.

Markakis is owed 3/$33M, negative dWAR in all but one of his 10 years in the bigs, and as mentioned...has 0 power anymore.

Pass.

The more I think about all of our needs, the more my head hurts!

If we agree that Avi needs to replaced to get a better defensive right fielder and one with more power - and preferably a LH hitter - then it would seem that the best available choice would be Jay Bruce. I know he has not done well the last couple of years, but he still hits for power, is only 29, and is far better than Avi defensively.

Hi everyone, first time poster here. I have been following the board for a long time, never posted though.

I think the FO is going to look to make another trade before they sign one of the remaining free agents. I live out in Colorado and the consensus out here is that the Rockies are definitely going to try and move one of their outfielders...

While this is nothing new, I think this is the best avenue for our sox. I personally don't want anything to do with any of the remaining free agents (for so many reasons). If we could somehow can swing a deal without giving up Anderson or Fulmer, go for it.

I know all of this has been mentioned before, but I think one of the Rockies OFers would be a good fit. I know I am going to get killed with the "split stats" debate.....

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/colorad...e-rumors-012516

QUOTE (chisox802 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 05:25 PM)
Hi everyone, first time poster here. I have been following the board for a long time, never posted though.

I think the FO is going to look to make another trade before they sign one of the remaining free agents. I live out in Colorado and the consensus out here is that the Rockies are definitely going to try and move one of their outfielders...

While this is nothing new, I think this is the best avenue for our sox. I personally don't want anything to do with any of the remaining free agents (for so many reasons). If we could somehow can swing a deal without giving up Anderson or Fulmer, go for it.

I know all of this has been mentioned before, but I think one of the Rockies OFers would be a good fit. I know I am going to get killed with the "split stats" debate.....

Blackmon is the only one I really like.

QUOTE (CB2.0 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 03:53 PM)
Markakis is owed 3/$33M, negative dWAR in all but one of his 10 years in the bigs, and as mentioned...has 0 power anymore.

Pass.

Ok all good points But forget about all the WAR stats and just look at his consistency last year. He batted between 290-305 all year. Never below that and with no pop in that lineup at all. He would be a upgrade over Melky and Garcia in the outfield hands down. Who wouldn't be. Il take the 290 batting average and the 370 OBP right now in the 2 hole. Not even a question. I agree about the power but why is everyone enamored with the power like Levine? KC and SF has proved it's vastly overrated seeing the last 2 years KC has only 95 And 135 homers. I agree 3 homers is weak but him and Eaton would be a great one two punch. And who cares about the money? We are in win now mode so adding a extra 11 million a year to the payroll is irrelevant. Just feel he would fit well with us seeing OBP will be a issue this year IMO.

QUOTE (chisox802 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 04:25 PM)

Welcome to the board and thanks for posting the link.

I've been kind of perplexed by the Parra signing as well. Is it possible the Rockies use Dickerson in a platoon with Reynolds at 1B? Playing 1B could alleviate the plantar fasciitis symptoms Dickerson goes through. Maybe this is what the Rockies have in mind? Heck if I know, lol.

QUOTE (SoxSteve @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 05:04 PM)
Ok all good points But forget about all the WAR stats and just look at his consistency last year. He batted between 290-305 all year. Never below that and with no pop in that lineup at all. He would be a upgrade over Melky and Garcia in the outfield hands down. Who wouldn't be. Il take the 290 batting average and the 370 OBP right now in the 2 hole. Not even a question. I agree about the power but why is everyone enamored with the power like Levine? KC and SF has proved it's vastly overrated seeing the last 2 years KC has only 95 And 135 homers. I agree 3 homers is weak but him and Eaton would be a great one two punch. And who cares about the money? We are in win now mode so adding a extra 11 million a year to the payroll is irrelevant. Just feel he would fit well with us seeing OBP will be a issue this year IMO.

I'm with you on this and agree with all the points you make. Markakis would be a great fit at #2 in the lineup. I have read that his defense and arm strength has regressed so a move to LF is probably inevitable but I would still be fine with that. I did read something over the weekend about how Atlanta doesn't want to trade Markakis but I have no idea how much truth there is to that.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 05:08 PM)
Welcome to the board and thanks for posting the link.

I've been kind of perplexed by the Parra signing as well. Is it possible the Rockies use Dickerson in a platoon with Reynolds at 1B? Playing 1B could alleviate the plantar fasciitis symptoms Dickerson goes through. Maybe this is what the Rockies have in mind? Heck if I know, lol.

While I think that is a possibility, I think a trade would be more likely. The team is in rebuild, they have to be looking to trade one of these guys for prospects/pitching.

While CarGo may have recognition with the fans, I think if they get what they are looking for he is gone. Although I might like Blackmon or Dickerson more.......

Also, regarding Markakis..... No thank you.

QUOTE (chisox802 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 05:23 PM)
While I think that is a possibility, I think a trade would be more likely. The team is in rebuild, they have to be looking to trade one of these guys for prospects/pitching.

While CarGo may have recognition with the fans, I think if they get what they are looking for he is gone. Although I might like Blackmon or Dickerson more.......

Also, regarding Markakis..... No thank you.

At first I thought the Rockies signed Parra to replace CarGo once he's traded but the Rockies GM has said they aren't trading CarGo before the season starts. Since there are so many outfielders on the market right now I'm guessing they wait until the trade deadline to maximise CarGo's value by taking advantage of a desperate contender.

Trading cost and team controlled players like Blackmon and Dickerson doesn't make any sense for a rebuilding team so I think the above scenario is very much possible.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jan 24, 2016 -> 11:21 PM)
Here's a partial list of the veteran outfielders who may be available through trade:

Atlanta Braves: Michael Bourn CF, Nick Markakis RF

Cincinnati Reds: Jay Bruce RF

Col Rockies: Corey Dickerson LF, Charlie Blackmon CF, Carlos Gonzalez RF

LA Dodgers: Carl Crawford LF, Andre Ethier RF

Miami Marlins: Marcell Ozuna CF

Milwaukee: Khris Davis LF, Ryan Braun RF

New York Mets: Juan Lagares CF, Curtis Granderson RF

Oakland A's: Coco Crisp LF-CF

Philadelphia: Peter Bourjos CF

San Diego: Matt Kemp RF

At this point, I'm more intrigued by Yadiel Hernandez, the free agent out of Cuba. He bats lefty, and he has played both LF and RF (although I have no clue as to how well he plays defense.)

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 06:01 PM)
Help us out. Who are some difference makers?

I think BigFinn's post does a great job of summarizing some players that are available. The Astros can be added to the list since they have so many outfielders like Gomez, Tucker, Marisnick, Springer, Rasmus and Applin. Would love to get one of Tucker, Marisnick or Applin from Houston.

One thing I keep reminding myself is that Avi has set the bar so low that any upgrade could be a difference maker when compared to Avi. That's why I'm open to the idea of players I normally wouldn't want much to do with, like Markakis and Gardner.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 06:31 PM)
One thing I keep reminding myself is that Avi has set the bar so low that any upgrade could be a difference maker when compared to Avi. That's why I'm open to the idea of players I normally wouldn't want much to do with, like Markakis and Gardner.

And those guys will cost legitimate young players.

That's why the Sox needed to sign someone so as not to further deciminate an already thin pool of young talent.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 12:40 AM)
And those guys will cost legitimate young players.

That's why the Sox needed to sign someone so as not to further deciminate an already thin pool of young talent.

well for starters i agree, but there are some or will be such a jam of 2nd level pitchers coming up, starting with danish, beck, guerrero, lowry, lever.... and then hawkins, may in the OF.... so yes, the sox can use any of those that i mention. they have fulmer and adam in the wings for the next yr and 3 yrs down the road.

the window of opportunity is now, and with the sorry state of the team, the sox have no choice to deal from strength to fix this team with smart moves. teams want cost control pitchers and players, that is what the sox have.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 12:31 AM)
I think BigFinn's post does a great job of summarizing some players that are available. The Astros can be added to the list since they have so many outfielders like Gomez, Tucker, Marisnick, Springer, Rasmus and Applin. Would love to get one of Tucker, Marisnick or Applin from Houston.

that was or is harsh, but sadly it is the truth. i really have a feeling, if the sox really not improve the OF, i can see many rants, but i bet they will wait til after soxfest....