OF Options

rhuesmann35

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)
Trade Erik Johnson for Dickerson and sign Latos.

Problem solved.

No one outside of the White Sox holds value in Johnson because he's not a sure thing to be a major leaguer. No one will roll dice in on him unless the ask is a bag of balls. We need him to be successful so we bias towards him being the pitcher he was last year, and not the one who nearly washed out. Everyone else just sees risk.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
Would you guys rather:

- Give up prospects for Dickerson

- Give up the draft pick and $$$ for Fowler

For me, it's a hard question that I don't know the answer to.

Give me Fowler for 3 years to help the top of the order.

I think most are discounting his value due to the pick attached.

He & Eaton both with high OBP in front of Abreu & Frazier would do much more for this lineup than most think.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 12:34 PM)
I'd do this trade in 2 seconds if I'm the Sox. Not sure how the $$ would work itself out though...

In that proposal the Sox take on all of Ethier's contract. It's why the Sox wouldn't be giving up much. If the Sox ask for money with Ethier then the Dodgers will want a better return.

I think Ethier is a very realistic possibility for the Sox.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 12:39 PM)
In that proposal the Sox take on all of Ethier's contract. It's why the Sox wouldn't be giving up much. If the Sox ask for money with Ethier then the Dodgers will want a better return.

I think Ethier is a very realistic possibility for the Sox.

Yep, agreed. We can either ask for $$ coming back in the deal, or somehow get the Dodgers to include Laroche. Seems like this deal almost makes too much sense for both clubs and I'd be surprised if it isn't being discussed...at least the Either part of it, and figure out the details later.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
Yep, agreed. We can either ask for $$ coming back in the deal, or somehow get the Dodgers to include Laroche. Seems like this deal almost makes too much sense for both clubs and I'd be surprised if it isn't being discussed...at least the Either part of it, and figure out the details later.

Ethier's name has floated around White Sox forums literally forever. At some point he's bound to be on the team. :P

I'm still highly intrigued by Yadiel Hernandez.

He's got a career .449 OBP over in Cuba, OBP over .500 last year. That obviously won't translate over here to that extent, but as a frame of reference, Abreu had a career .456 OBP. Abreu also took a ton of intential walks which boosted that number.

Looks like he might be a solid #2 and it would allow Melky to drop to balance out the lineup.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)

He's got a career .449 OBP over in Cuba, OBP over .500 last year. That obviously won't translate over here to that extent, but as a frame of reference, Abreu had a career .456 OBP. Abreu also took a ton of intential walks which boosted that number.

Looks like he might be a solid #2 and it would allow Melky to drop to balance out the lineup.

Intentional walks and HBP help Abreu tremendously. He isn't a very patient hitter so the OBP doesn't really infatuate me so much without every seeing him play. There is a difference between guys being able to take pitches 2 inches off the plate and guys not swinging because the pitch was 6 inches outside.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)

I wouldn't count on the LaRoche idea. Even though the Dodgers can afford it, I doubt they would be willing to pay LaRoche 13M to sit on the bench and hold Adrien Gonzalez's jock. :P

I think Avi/Lowry for Ethier is pretty close as it is. I wasn't sure if the Dodgers would have interest in Avi but they could turn him into a platoon partner for Crawford in LF I suppose.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)

Agreed. I saw some video and he looks solid. Doesn't seem like he will hit for much power but possibly plus plate discipline and good average. The only issue is his showcase isn't until February 23rd so he will likely miss most, if not all, of ST.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
Intentional walks and HBP help Abreu tremendously.

Yep. Actually looking closer at Hernandez there, he's intriguing me more from a hitting standpoint.

Abreu's age 22-25 seasons, he had 105 IBB and 90 HBP. (Good god at those numbers btw) His highest walk total in Cuba those years was 75.

Hernandez's age 23-26 seasons, he had 34 IBB and 19 HBP. His highest walk total in those years was 80.

Guy is just a much more patient hitter in Cuba, just wasn't as dangerous. (which we wouldn't need him to be here) No idea about his defense obviously and he wasn't much of a base stealer in Cuba and not sure about his speed either. But I hope the sox are doing their homework on this guy. (And even Jose Miguel Fernandez for that matter with his miniscule K rate)

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
If they are going to wait for Yadiel Hernandez, they better be willing to outbid everyone (obviously).

Gotta hope the Angels make a trade between now and then so he has one less suitor.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
I would be game for this trade idea.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2610885...culation/page/5

Only if it came with lots of cash for the Either deal. Honestly if Either were on waivers, I wouldn't claim him for nothing but his contract, let alone for players.

I'd honestly rather have Carl Crawford at half price and Desmond than pay Ethier AND give up talent to boot.

Crawford would have to morph into more of a power guy like Tim Raines later in his career. It could work at USCF.

It worked well with Thome, just not sure how much LA is willing to eat.

In terms of risk, it's still fairly significant even at half off discount...ala Ryan Braun or Jay Bruce.

At least Harrelson and KW would be elated for awhile.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
I'd honestly rather have Carl Crawford at half price and Desmond than pay Ethier AND give up talent to boot.

Crawford would have to morph into more of a power guy like Tim Raines later in his career. It could work at USCF.

It worked well with Thome, just not sure how much LA is willing to eat.

In terms of risk, it's still fairly significant even at half off discount...ala Ryan Braun or Jay Bruce.

At least Harrelson and KW would be elated for awhile.

First, Carl Crawford =/= Jim Thome.

Second, what's this half price stuff? Are the Red Sox paying a big piece of Crawford's salary and I'm not aware of it?

Even if that's the case I'd still rather have Ethier by a mile. He has a massive edge in durability and OBP.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
First, Carl Crawford =/= Jim Thome.

Second, what's this half price stuff? Are the Red Sox paying a big piece of Crawford's salary and I'm not aware of it?

Even if that's the case I'd still rather have Ethier by a mile. He has a massive edge in durability and OBP.

Think he meant Dodgers would pay half to dump him.