OF Options

rhuesmann35

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 03:37 AM)
I know nothing about him. I couldn't find any recent information on him either. Found some stuff from June of last year talking about how he is a free agent but nothing since. I looked him up on BR and he hasn't played since 2013, well, he did have 1 AB in 2014. I'm serious.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register...id=heredi001gui

:o

I do know that Yadiel Hernandez's workout is coming up on the 23rd. Regardless of what the Sox might do between now and then, I hope the Sox make a serious run at him. His small strike zone and good batting eye should help his transition to MLB.

many thanks for that help. i appreciate it.

yeah i know what you are saying, usually there is some sort of a write up on his profile and skills, esp on try out for teams or something. dang, i am just keeping my eyes and opinions open.

again many thanks.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 07:38 AM)
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/164316486

Phil Rogers tamping down expectations about us giving up a pick and uncertainty about contending this season...described idea of losing it as potentially "nauseating" to Hahn.

Also references Alex Guerrero rumors.

No f***ing thank you to Alex Guerrero.

There's absolutely no reason for the Sox FO trade for Guerrero. The only position he grades out positively is 3B and that position is filled by Frazier and backed up by Lawrie and Saladino. Agree with those that say Guerrero is a butcher in the OF which makes trading for him a moot point. Would rather roll the dice on Avi. I like Guerrero's bat and he could be better with more consistent time on the field but there's no room for him on the Sox.

Ethier makes the most sense but there doesn't seem to be a fit between the teams so I'm not counting on a deal happening with the Dodgers.

Still scratching my butt trying to think of other trade possibilities that Hahn could be looking into.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/164316486

Phil Rogers tamping down expectations about us giving up a pick and uncertainty about contending this season...described idea of losing it as potentially "nauseating" to Hahn.

Also references Alex Guerrero rumors.

he has an instant out clause once he is traded.... no window no negations. he becomes a instant Fa.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 04:58 PM)
There's absolutely no reason for the Sox FO trade for Guerrero. The only position he grades out positively is 3B and that position is filled by Frazier and backed up by Lawrie and Saladino. Agree with those that say Guerrero is a butcher in the OF which makes trading for him a moot point. Would rather roll the dice on Avi. I like Guerrero's bat and he could be better with more consistent time on the field but there's no room for him on the Sox.

Ethier makes the most sense but there doesn't seem to be a fit between the teams so I'm not counting on a deal happening with the Dodgers.

Still scratching my butt trying to think of other trade possibilities that Hahn could be looking into.

same here. but visually on that part of your anatomy you mention, i rather not think about that. ugh....

but back to baseball, i have been gandering on maybe Fa's. why not try Yulieski Gourriel at the OF once he is eligible to sign.... most of those cuban players are really gifted in different positions.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 06:12 PM)
Gourriel has spent most of his life at second and third, with some SS but not his best position.

and you are correct, i was wondering as many of these cuban ball players have played other positions.

look at Alexei Ramírez , in cuba he played the outfield and esp in important game in the world competition games.

i do not know. just spit balling here.

OMG this team needs AT LEAST one more OF.

Melky shouldn't face LHP: His bat vs LHP is bad, and couple that with his declining defense and this is closer to a no-brainer than most will assume.

LaRoche shouldn't face LHP: HOW did he get 89 ABs vs LHP in '15?

In a perfect world Eaton shouldn't face LHP: This is easily the furthest stretch of the three, but Eaton has zero career HRs vs LHP and sports a .686 OPS. If his defense continues to be below average then he is not an everyday player on a good team IMHO.

Sticking Avi in a platoon with any of the three is PLENTY of opportunity for a player that performed as poorly as Garcia did in '15. If you believe in Garcia's defense improving and feel he needs the experience in the field, then platoon him with Melky. For me, I saw enough of his defense last year that I'd platoon him with LaRoche at DH. But lets just say you stick Avi in LF with Cabrera, that leaves the Sox with no right handed DH and absolutely no RF. This team NEEDS two more bats. One can be more of a complimentary right handed hitter to work with LaRoche, but the other needs to be a legitimate everyday right fielder.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
In a perfect world Eaton shouldn't face LHP: This is easily the furthest stretch of the three, but Eaton has zero career HRs vs LHP and sports a .686 OPS. If his defense continues to be below average then he is not an everyday player on a good team IMHO.

wat

QUOTE (LDF @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
he has an instant out clause once he is traded.... no window no negations. he becomes a instant Fa.

It is not instant. It is at the end of the season he is traded during. If he were traded now, he would be a free agent after the 2016 season. A team that acquired him they could get him to waive it, but I am sure it would take some sort of a financial incentive to do so.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
OMG this team needs AT LEAST one more OF.

Melky shouldn't face LHP: His bat vs LHP is bad, and couple that with his declining defense and this is closer to a no-brainer than most will assume.

LaRoche shouldn't face LHP: HOW did he get 89 ABs vs LHP in '15?

Sticking Avi in a platoon with any of the three is PLENTY of opportunity for a player that performed as poorly as Garcia did in '15. If you believe in Garcia's defense improving and feel he needs the experience in the field, then platoon him with Melky. For me, I saw enough of his defense last year that I'd platoon him with LaRoche at DH. But lets just say you stick Avi in LF with Cabrera, that leaves the Sox with no right handed DH and absolutely no RF. This team NEEDS two more bats. One can be more of a complimentary right handed hitter to work with LaRoche, but the other needs to be a legitimate everyday right fielder.

Melky has a career 95 wRC+ against LHP, that's not something that needs to be platooned.

The line about Eaton is nonsense too. A 3-4 WAR player is not an everyday player?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 06:40 PM)
The other thing about Guerrero is he cannot be sent to the minor leagues without his permission. So if he sucks and he doesn't feel like going to Charlotte, you can release him or burn a roster spot.

that is the most correct answer.... i didn';t look it up.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
Melky has a career 95 wRC+ against LHP, that's not something that needs to be platooned.

The line about Eaton is nonsense too. A 3-4 WAR player is not an everyday player?

Melky was an elite LF defender during his prime. Now he is a poor defensive outfielder and even if you think his bat will return to career averages this season I don't see anyone claiming his defense will get better. He shouldn't start vs LHP.

Eaton is a poor offensive player (.291 wOBA, .054 ISO) vs LHP and a below average defender. In a perfect world he doesn't start vs LHP. How is that nonsense?

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 01:03 PM)
Eaton is a poor offensive player (.291 wOBA, .054 ISO) vs LHP and a below average defender. In a perfect world he doesn't start vs LHP. How is that nonsense?

That's one year of splits based on a couple hundred plate appearances. In 2014, he was more than capable against lefties (110 wRC+). In a perfect world nobody would start against their weak hand, but in the real world there's limited roster space. Eaton isn't a platoon guy at this point.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 01:03 PM)
Melky was an elite LF defender during his prime. Now he is a poor defensive outfielder and even if you think his bat will return to career averages this season I don't see anyone claiming his defense will get better. He shouldn't start vs LHP.

It's still nonsense because in a perfect world almost everyone would be platooned, and starting pitchers would always get taken out before they faced the batting order a third time, it's a completely meaningless statement. Eaton hasn't shown he's bad enough against LHP that he would require a platoon partner. That would be a waste of resources and a roster spot.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)

So every player without neutral platoon splits should be a part-timer?

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 01:13 PM)
That's one year of splits based on a couple hundred plate appearances. In 2014, he was more than capable against lefties (110 wRC+).

"No using small sample sizes to make your point".... "Here is a a small sample size to prove your point wrong".

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
"No using small sample sizes to make your point".... "Here is a a small sample size to prove your point wrong".

More like "We have just as much of a sample saying Eaton is good against lefties as the one saying he is bad so let's not write him off as a platoon player."

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 01:19 PM)
So every player without neutral platoon splits should be a part-timer?

In most cases below average defenders with lopsided splits should. And just not starting vs LHP is far from making Eaton a part timer. He pinch hits (and likely stays in the game) the minute a RHP enters the game. He also would likely be the first backup for all three OF positions and the DH vs LHP.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Feb 16, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
In most cases below average defenders with lopsided splits should. And just not starting vs LHP is far from making Eaton a part timer. He pinch hits (and likely stays in the game) the minute a RHP enters the game. He also would likely be the first backup for all three OF positions and the DH vs LHP.

But we have other guys who need to be platooned much more (which you pointed out), and not enough bench spots to go around. When you have to find a lefty for Avisail AND Melky, and probably a righty for LaRoche, you can't afford to platoon a guy who is going to put up 3 WAR despite his weaknesses.