2016-2017 NCAA football thread

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting...016/illinois-26

21 total commits. 7 3* and the rest are 2*. Not that star's mean anything but it shows you how poorly they really do recruit.

When they extended Cubit, they really removed any reason to follow the program for the next 3-4 years. Although, it's not like there was much reason to follow it beforehand.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 05:51 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting...016/illinois-26

21 total commits. 7 3* and the rest are 2*. Not that star's mean anything but it shows you how poorly they really do recruit.

What a total and complete shock. We are now going to be in a position that the 2017 defense (and most likely the whole team) is going to be a complete disaster regardless of coach. So rather than hiring a new coach with a solid roster with a ton of seniors they will inherit a complete s***show on defense and they will almost certainly have a worse record than Cubit will have next year which will be terrible from an optics standpoint. So f***ing dumb. Or even worse is Cubit goes like 6-6 or 7-5 next year and we retain him and this staff still recruits like crap and then 2017 and 2018 are both complete disasters and we hire a coach when there is zero talent left on the roster.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 11:35 PM)
Video of Maty Mauk snorting Coke hits Twitter lol

The cell phone era sucks, glad they weren't around when I was younger.

That being said, if you are a starting QB, you better be alone in a room or trust everyone 100% if you are gonna start pulling lines.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 25, 2016 -> 10:43 PM)
What a total and complete shock. We are now going to be in a position that the 2017 defense (and most likely the whole team) is going to be a complete disaster regardless of coach. So rather than hiring a new coach with a solid roster with a ton of seniors they will inherit a complete s***show on defense and they will almost certainly have a worse record than Cubit will have next year which will be terrible from an optics standpoint. So f***ing dumb. Or even worse is Cubit goes like 6-6 or 7-5 next year and we retain him and this staff still recruits like crap and then 2017 and 2018 are both complete disasters and we hire a coach when there is zero talent left on the roster.

I agree with every word in this post.

I'd be fine if he wasn't. He was suspended for half the year, and it's pretty likely this was from before then. Kid has a substance abuse problem that flares up just as his dad gets diagnosed with cancer and gets treatment?

It's not like he was a very good QB, so this is either enabling behavior keeping him on, or they actually see him improving and know he's struggling with a problem.

Ugh, I shouldn't really be shocked/disappointed by anything with Illinois football athletics but damn, I'm so sick of this s***. Still don't have an AD, entirely botched the football coach hire, basketball is an embarrassment, Cubit then extorts us and pays his DUI son $450k, recruiting in both sports is down, and so on.

Can we please, please just hire someone competent for the AD position and get things back on track? Seriously, I would start donating if we did just to show support.

Jeremy Werner ‏@JWernerScout 50m50 minutes ago

So with Neal gone, I'd project spring 2-deep at LB

:

- MLB: Tre Watson

- WLB: James Crawford

- SLB: Mike Svetina?

Julian Jones if on team

Illinois also missing 6 of it's top 7 tacklers from last season. Barton the only one returning.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
Ugh, I shouldn't really be shocked/disappointed by anything with Illinois football athletics but damn, I'm so sick of this s***. Still don't have an AD, entirely botched the football coach hire, basketball is an embarrassment, Cubit then extorts us and pays his DUI son $450k, recruiting in both sports is down, and so on.

Can we please, please just hire someone competent for the AD position and get things back on track? Seriously, I would start donating if we did just to show support.

I think if Whitman is the hire, he will be a very good hire.

Its not like there arent good recruits to go out and pick up this late either, they just dont seem to have the radar or the database to identify them. I could pick out at least 10 kids in Ohio alone that would be able to contribute at ILL and only have MAC offers.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
I think if Whitman is the hire, he will be a very good hire.

I think he's the right kind of guy, just inexperienced, I'd still be fine with him. I'd be fine with Tiley as well, but don't think that's happening.

I know I said it yesterday, but I'm surprised anybody even musters up anger about the Illinois football situation. With all these losses, maybe we only win 3-4 games instead of 4-5 games. Who cares? We're still on the path to being Purdue bad in a couple years regardless.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
I think he's the right kind of guy, just inexperienced, I'd still be fine with him. I'd be fine with Tiley as well, but don't think that's happening.

Tiley is overseeing the Australian Open right now. The constant delays make sense that he'd be the hire.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jan 26, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
I know I said it yesterday, but I'm surprised anybody even musters up anger about the Illinois football situation. With all these losses, maybe we only win 3-4 games instead of 4-5 games. Who cares? We're still on the path to being Purdue bad in a couple years regardless.

Well I'm still bitter on the whole Cubit extension so it's me extending that and the exacerberation of the basketball team being at what could be an all time low.