2016-2017 NCAA football thread

I was at the Glazier Football Clinic in Oakbrook last night because I'm a HS coach. Cubit had a presentation last night. Probably completely blindsided. Good for Josh Whitman though. Cubit wasn't his guy and there's no reason to pretend like he was and waste another season.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It makes me laugh every time somebody tries to defend a move the Illinois administration makes. Has any program ever willingly fired and hired a new coach in March?

It's truly amazing all of the crazy things that this program has done in the last year or so. Beckman being fired a week before the season, Thomas being fired a few weeks before the end of the football season, Cubit being inexplicably retained for another interim year, and Cubit being inexplicably fired in March. I guess we'll see how it all plays out.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
It makes me laugh every time somebody tries to defend a move the Illinois administration makes. Has any program ever willingly fired and hired a new coach in March?

It's truly amazing all of the crazy things that this program has done in the last year or so. Beckman being fired a week before the season, Thomas being fired a few weeks before the end of the football season, Cubit being inexplicably retained for another interim year, and Cubit being inexplicably fired in March. I guess we'll see how it all plays out.

I agree with the premise but Whitman was just hired. Him deciding to move on is fine. It sounds like he has a coach ready to take over. Rumors point to Leslie Frazier at this point.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
No Twitter, Jim Tressel is not going to coach at Illinois.

Not that it matters in this case but doesn't Tressel have a show cause penalty following him around?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
Not that it matters in this case but doesn't Tressel have a show cause penalty following him around?

I think it just ended.

But yea, he's not coming to Illinois.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
I agree with the premise but Whitman was just hired. Him deciding to move on is fine. It sounds like he has a coach ready to take over. Rumors point to Leslie Frazier at this point.

I'm not really sure about that hire, he doesn't have a wow factor for me.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)

Have to imagine he does have a coach in place. We'll see how it works out.

I know it's not exactly a perfect analogy, but it kind of reminds me of the Trestman situation with the Bears. There was probably a reason the dude couldn't get a gig in the NFL and had to coach in the CFL, and it's probably not because Emery just outsmarted everyone else. Similarly, there's probably a reason coaches aren't hired and fired in March, right? He may have a guy lined up, but will that guy have an easy time attracting assistants and getting everything in place? Spring ball starts in a week.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
Ryan Baker ‏@RyanBakerMedia 1m1 minute ago Chicago, IL

Some credible sources are telling me Lovie Smith will be the next #Illini head football coach. @cbschicago

Ryan Baker is usually solid.

He was a team manager for the Flyin Illini.

That would be a good move for Illinois, the only question would be if he was successful and the NFL came calling, would he leave?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 03:31 PM)
He was a team manager for the Flyin Illini.

That would be a good move for Illinois, the only question would be if he was successful and the NFL came calling, would he leave?

The way I see it, he can do whatever he wants if he manages to achieve any success at all. I'll gladly sign up for 4 years of success, and another coaching search afterwards.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
Million dollar buyout for Bill Cubit and $360,000 for Ryan Cubit to not coach for Illinois this year after getting jobs they never should have had in the first place. I don't feel bad for those two at all. Sucks a bit for the players but they will get over it, players almost always do.

The good news is that Illinois's university budget is in solid shape these days.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
Wow. Jeremy Werner reporting that a name to watch is Lovie Smith.

I'd actually love that move. He's a good football coach, just needs a good OC.

He is actually a horrendous football coach. His OC last season is now a HC and the Bucs were still awful

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
Ryan Baker ‏@RyanBakerMedia 1m1 minute ago Chicago, IL

Some credible sources are telling me Lovie Smith will be the next #Illini head football coach. @cbschicago

Ryan Baker is usually solid.

What a hire if true.

A+ Whitman.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
He is actually a horrendous football coach. His OC last season is now a HC and the Bucs were still awful

So,was,Harbaugh's. His DL coach became his replacement. He must be awful. All I know is Illinois can't be all that attractive of a job for most established coaches,. If they get a guy who went to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as his QB, they did pretty well. I am no fan of Illinois football, but to me, assuming he isn't just using this as a stepping stone, it would be a great hire.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)
Lovie the football coach would be a great hire. But how well could he recruit? That would be my concern, not that Illinois kills it on the recruiting trail now.

Name value in Chicago. It's an assistants world anyways and Cubit did an okay job at putting together a staff.