2016-2017 NCAA football thread

Why, mere years after a major renovation, do I keep hearing and reading that Illinois' football facilities are "below average?" Is that just a lazy, stale narrative, or did the school screw up the renovation, too?

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 08:26 AM)
Why, mere years after a major renovation, do I keep hearing and reading that Illinois' football facilities are "below average?" Is that just a lazy, stale narrative, or did the school screw up the renovation, too?

The football facilities are definitely in the bottom half of the conference. Werent they going to plan some additional work in the next several years?

You've got to remember that the fieldturf or the stadium itself isnt what people are referring to when they talk about the facilities "arms race." Its things like the dining area, the training area, the weight room, the indoor practice facility or facilities, the locker room, lounges etc. These have been getting MASSIVE in in the last several years. Many of the larger programs are pumping 2+ million dollars per year into incremental updates to some of those things not to mention every few years going big with 20-50 million dollar upgrades.

For example:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colle...48bb_story.html

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
The football facilities are definitely in the bottom half of the conference. Werent they going to plan some additional work in the next several years?

You've got to remember that the fieldturf or the stadium itself isnt what people are referring to when they talk about the facilities "arms race." Its things like the dining area, the training area, the weight room, the indoor practice facility or facilities, the locker room, lounges etc. These have been getting MASSIVE in in the last several years. Many of the larger programs are pumping 2+ million dollars per year into incremental updates to some of those things not to mention every few years going big with 20-50 million dollar upgrades.

For example:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colle...48bb_story.html

Wow. Laser tag and mini-golf? I had no idea.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)
Wow. Laser tag and mini-golf? I had no idea.

It's only getting worse every year. The best football facilities in the state of Ohio are in columbus and its not even that close (OSU has put 250 million into football facilities only in the last 10 years). Every time Oregon or Bama or OSU pumps more money into something everyone tries to outdo it. The SEC was on a whole new level but now the Big Ten, PAC and Big 12 are joining in. The amount of money being spent is ridiculous. The dietary programs at these schools are amazing. The players are wearing technology that tracks their every move on the field and its being cross referenced with strength and nutritional plans.

Those types of ridiculous things that have come up in the last 5 years or so are what people are referring to when they say negative things about Illinois "facilities." Neb, Michigan, OSU, PSU, Maryland, MSU, Rutgers and even f***ing Purdue have completed or are planning to complete massive upgrades. Rutgers is putting 100 million dollars into it, Purdue somehow is getting 60. I had to edit because I dont know how I missed the 225 million NW reno, though thats supposed to benefit all programs the football team gets a huge upgrade.

Edited by RockRaines

Howard Griffith called M&H this morning and he was talking about the facilities, he said there are end tables in the football facility that have been there since he was in the program.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
Howard Griffith called M&H this morning and he was talking about the facilities, he said there are end tables in the football facility that have been there since he was in the program.

Yeah that's pretty pathetic given they just renovated the stadium/facility.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
Yeah that's pretty pathetic given they just renovated the stadium/facility.

They are in the planning stages of a big renovation so its in the cards at some point based on whats out there.

I also found this link in searching. The money spent on these places is staggering

http://247sports.com/Gallery/Photos-Rankin...l-2015-42015109

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 08:57 AM)
This is one of the funniest things I've ever read:

David Kaplan ‏@thekapman 33m33 minutes ago

@TomFornelli actually no they fired Renteria before they ever met with Joe.

Kaplan is a total joke. How people take him seriously, at all, I will never know.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)

One I remember being tossed around awhile back is that the players are eating in the same dining hall as Dick Butkus.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
It is more of a Cub love than anything else.

The Cubs press release of the Maddon hiring shows Kap (who I happen to like) is a little full of it today:

Rick deserved to come back for another season as Cubs manager, and we said as much when we announced that he would be returning in 2015. We met with Rick two weeks ago for a long end-of-season evaluation and discussed plans for next season. We praised Rick to the media and to our season ticket holders. These actions were made in good faith.

Last Thursday, we learned that Joe Maddon—who may be as well suited as anyone in the industry to manage the challenges that lie ahead of us—had become a free agent. We confirmed the news with Major League Baseball, and it became public knowledge the next day. We saw it as a unique opportunity and faced a clear dilemma: be loyal to Rick or be loyal to the organization. In this business of trying to win a world championship for the first time in 107 years, the organization has priority over any one individual. We decided to pursue Joe.

While there was no clear playbook for how to handle this type of situation, we knew we had to be transparent with Rick before engaging with Joe. Jed flew to San Diego last Friday and told Rick in person of our intention to talk to Joe about the managerial job. Subsequently, Jed and I provided updates to Rick via telephone and today informed him that we will indeed make a change.

We offered Rick a choice of other positions with the Cubs, but he is of course free to leave the organization and pursue opportunities elsewhere. Armed with the experience of a successful season and all the qualities that made him our choice a year ago, Rick will no doubt make an excellent major league manager when given his next chance.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 09:30 AM)
The Cubs press release of the Maddon hiring shows Kap (who I happen to like) is a little full of it today:

Rick deserved to come back for another season as Cubs manager, and we said as much when we announced that he would be returning in 2015. We met with Rick two weeks ago for a long end-of-season evaluation and discussed plans for next season. We praised Rick to the media and to our season ticket holders. These actions were made in good faith.

Last Thursday, we learned that Joe Maddon—who may be as well suited as anyone in the industry to manage the challenges that lie ahead of us—had become a free agent. We confirmed the news with Major League Baseball, and it became public knowledge the next day. We saw it as a unique opportunity and faced a clear dilemma: be loyal to Rick or be loyal to the organization. In this business of trying to win a world championship for the first time in 107 years, the organization has priority over any one individual. We decided to pursue Joe.

While there was no clear playbook for how to handle this type of situation, we knew we had to be transparent with Rick before engaging with Joe. Jed flew to San Diego last Friday and told Rick in person of our intention to talk to Joe about the managerial job. Subsequently, Jed and I provided updates to Rick via telephone and today informed him that we will indeed make a change.

We offered Rick a choice of other positions with the Cubs, but he is of course free to leave the organization and pursue opportunities elsewhere. Armed with the experience of a successful season and all the qualities that made him our choice a year ago, Rick will no doubt make an excellent major league manager when given his next chance.

The story was that it was Cubs management who told Maddon that the out clause in his contract existed.

It's going to be very interesting to see his staff. But, it seems like Lovie often grabbed coaches from college, I imagine his coaching contacts after so many years are a lot wider than fans would know.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
It's going to be very interesting to see his staff. But, it seems like Lovie often grabbed coaches from college, I imagine his coaching contacts after so many years are a lot wider than fans would know.

His network has to be about as large as anyone's in football. That alone should be huge. I don't know about this season because we're late in the game, but I do expect some big name assistants.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
Kaplan is angry at the firing of guys that make millions? Aw too bad.

Bill Cubit got like an $800,000 raise to be interim coach and just got close to a million dollar buyout to not coach at Illinois next year when he never should have gotten the job in the first place. Anyone feeling sorry for him is nuts. He just made like $1.8 million by simply being in the right place at the right time.