2016-2017 NCAA football thread

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
His network has to be about as large as anyone's in football. That alone should be huge. I don't know about this season because we're late in the game, but I do expect some big name assistants.

At least he isn't poaching guys during recruiting season. But, still will be weird, such a strange time to be in the hiring mode. I wonder what his assistant budget is.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
Bill Cubit got like an $800,000 raise to be interim coach and just got close to a million dollar buyout to not coach at Illinois next year when he never should have gotten the job in the first place. Anyone feeling sorry for him is nuts. He just made like $1.8 million by simply being in the right place at the right time.

He's also probably going to find a job pretty quickly since he's a good assistant.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 09:03 AM)
Spiegel, Fornelli and Boyle are picking apart Kaplan. He very obviously has a dislike for Lovie and is masking it with "IS THIS ETHICAL?!?!?"

I am enjoying Kaplan get all bent out of shape. Who is he kidding?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
What I like most is that we finally have an AD that gives a s*** about football. It's been a long, long time. Like late 80's long. I think Illinois football is like 60-160 in that time span. Pathetic.

WGN was hilarious, Pat said "this is the first big name hire for Illinois in football since, well since....I dont know"

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
I wonder if Jon Hoke would be a name to look for.

I'm really interested to see Lovie's staff. Mike Phair being retained and sounds like he will remain defensive coordinator which I'm fine with because he did a good job last year. He also was defensive line coach for the Bears with Lovie and worked for Lovie in Tampa as well so there is familiarity there already.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
So Whitman said Lovie's available funds for assistants will be competitive with the top of the Big 10 and I've heard $4 million rumored.

Such a surreal moment for Illinois football. Such a great hire.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 02:16 PM)
So Whitman said Lovie's available funds for assistants will be competitive with the top of the Big 10 and I've heard $4 million rumored.

He's "only" getting 2 million for now thanks to the Bucs still paying him 10 million over the next two years. So yeah they should have a lot of money to give out. And of course donors are going to should tart giving more now that there's finally after some stability.

QUOTE (SnB @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 03:16 PM)
Man, what a change in mood over 2 days - absolutely ecstatic. It might not work out, but at least we're trying something bold.

This AD is either gonna be immortal or crucified. No in between.

1000+ season tickets sold today alone and donations have been streaming into Ifund apparently.

This is what fans mean when they say they'll invest in a team when the administration does first.