2016-2017 NCAA football thread

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 19, 2016 -> 09:56 PM)
So who's the Big 12 adding?

BYU, maybe? Some of the AAC candidates are just so far away from the heart of the Big 12, but who knows? If I'm UConn, do I want to travel that far for conference games? Probably not.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 04:40 AM)
At that point, why even expand?

None of those schools improve your conference. As far as football is concerned, it just waters it down even more.

Expanding has nothing to do with athletics. It's all about tv revenue.

BYU, Cincy, USF or UCF would make the most sense out of the rumored schools. I don't know the point in bringing in Houston since the Big 12 already has that market covered.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 06:27 AM)

BYU, Cincy, USF or UCF would make the most sense out of the rumored schools. I don't know the point in bringing in Houston since the Big 12 already has that market covered.

I would think athletics is strongly tied to tv revenue.

I don't imagine a school like Memphis would have a strong football following, so you are not picking up that many new tv households (relative to a bigger school).

Is that gain in households worth the loss to the conference image?

I'd assume there are very few, if any, schools in the smaller conferences left that would be a net gain. They need to find a way to poach a school from another big conference to actually improve.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 07:27 AM)

Does the BIG 12 have a championship game?

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 03:40 AM)
At that point, why even expand?

None of those schools improve your conference. As far as football is concerned, it just waters it down even more.

It's obvious. Get championship game. get teams to CFP. Money. It's not hard. I'm just going by what I think is most likely. Memphis is a basketball fit and BYU is a traditional independent with a reasonably large following.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)

With expansion it absolutely would.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 10:12 AM)

Yes, they voted to add one this year. Doesn't really make sense with 10 teams, but whatever.

Strong rumors that Nebraska and Colorado want back in. Nebraska's stronghold was Texas recruiting, and it has all but dissipated with the move to the Big 10. The Pac 14 has some huge TV market issues.

I'll believe it when I see it. I think it will be some dumpy additions like Cincinatti and Houston.

Anything is possible, but its hard to imagine Nebraska leaving the Big10. They would have to buy themselves out of the GOR, and unless the BIG10 could find a suitable replacement, they would be looking for a massive check. Even worse is that if Nebraska left, that would create an opening in the BIG10 which would then likely result in a few schools reaching out to try and join.

It could happen, but I think that in the end its 2 teams that are not in the Big10, PAC, SEC or ACC. So UCONN, UCF, Memphis, Cinci, Houston, BYU, etc are the likely schools. Possibly something strange like Tulane.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 21, 2016 -> 05:36 PM)
The president of the University of Texas tweeted an endorsement of Houston.

This conference.

Its going to happen. Texas wants it, so little brother Texas Tech has followed suit even though it would do nothing but hurt Tech recruiting wise. Ugh. This conference is going to be patched together until UT and OU bail for the Big 10 or the SEC.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
James Franklin has shoved his foot so far down this throat this week that its going to be hard to rip it out.

James Franklin is the coach Penn State deserves. Glad BOB found greener pastures in Houston.

• 2 weeks later...

Missouri just hired Jim Sterk (AD - San Diego State) as their new Athletic Director. During a year where essentially no good news ever happened and the very worst news happened every day, this was some nice news. I have a lot of respect for the turnaround at SDSU. Despite some success, they turned that program around from basically nothing in football and basketball to consistent winners.

Very happy with the hire.

• 3 weeks later...